Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Meet up in Leicester

(138 Posts)
Tegan Thu 26-Mar-15 12:55:49

In May? Some of us have been throwing a few ideas around. I can get a bus to Leicester [although I don't know the place very well]. Are there and dates/venues etc that would suit various people?

pompa Mon 10-Aug-15 21:04:02

Nearly got to MH today, but went past Wistow Rural centre and got waylaid.

granjura Sat 08-Aug-15 21:37:12

We lovet Market Harborough and still have a flat there, althoug we live abroad. So perhaps we can meet there late October. A great mixture of nice 'boutiques' but also cheaper bargain shops- and a great charity bookshop I can't resist. The South African decor shop is wonderful too, and so are the butchers and fishmongers.

pompa Sat 08-Aug-15 21:22:25

I posted Saturday re yesterday, which was Friday confused. John Lewis, yes that was the high point. but the traffic and people ugh. We have been to MH and along with Melton Mobray they are lovely towns.My brother used to live in Husbands Bosworth back in the 50's, I used to cycle to MH to get maggots from the glue factory for fishing, bet that's gone now. Mrs P like MH because it has a McCays.

granjura Sat 08-Aug-15 11:12:09

Leicester is a great shopping area- and all so compact and a huge variety- including a great John Lewis. But why oh why go on a Saturday??? so much better to go week-days when it is much less crowded. How about a trip to the lovely little town of Market Harborough for a change?

pompa Sat 08-Aug-15 07:17:24

Got the bus into Leicester yesterday - now I remember why I don't like cities - people - traffic - noise - litter - Mrs P spending money !

Tegan Mon 03-Aug-15 09:18:36

I'm away 9th to 17th October, then might be tied up from 23rd onwards, but not necessarily every day and may not be at all]. Also around for the second half of September. My diary doesn't fill up #nosociallifewhatsoever but you can guarantee if there's a chance to do something exciting something will crop up on that day!

Teetime Mon 03-Aug-15 08:39:05

Be good to have some idea of dates soon as the diary tends to fill up.

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 14:39:54

cde58- welcome to GN. Where abouts are you in Leicester? No need for precise location, just E/N/W/S or combinations. I lived for a very long time E. Hopefully will be arranging another meet when I am next over (live abroad now) late October, in Market Harborough.

pompa Sun 02-Aug-15 07:53:07

Kitty, if you see this, I have PM'd you.

Tegan Mon 25-May-15 20:54:20

Will keep you posted cd. I don't need much of an excuse to go back to Leicester..I'm really taken with the place. We would have gone to Leicester Races tomorrow but we can't leave our poorly dog on her own.

pompa Mon 25-May-15 20:40:21

Thanks cde58 we will give that a look GS will enjoy feeding the ducks. We are in Narborough for the rest of this week.

cde58 Mon 25-May-15 20:16:32

Hi I live in Leicester and would be interested in meeting up if there's another one planned.

As for the boat - there's a couple of lakes in Braunstone Park - lots of ducks , geese etc there so don't know how suitable it would be but might be worth a go. x

pompa Thu 21-May-15 21:21:07

It is a sailing yacht, so with any luck it will come ashore some where.

Tegan Thu 21-May-15 20:21:27

How do you get the boat back confused? My sons radio controlled boat used to conk out mid water sometimes.

J52 Thu 21-May-15 18:30:04

Oops! I'm with you now!

My son used to sail his pond yacht on a little pond in Victoria park, by the university. Might not be worth the journey, unless you also took in the New Walk museum as well.

Bosworth Lake is near Husbands Bosworth, but it is big. x

Nelliemoser Thu 21-May-15 18:29:00

Pompa
Try Abbey Park?
www.leicester.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/parks-and-open-spaces/our-parks/abbey-park

None of these seem to have parks for model boats or paddling pools these days. sad

pompa Thu 21-May-15 18:02:19

LOL, the pond yacht in question is 14" long, Rutland Water might be asking a bit much of it. Bosworth Lakes, is that at Husbands Bosworth ?. Transport no problem have a car.

J52 Thu 21-May-15 18:00:09

I don't know how you're fixed for transport, but Bosworth lakes is very nice. Rutland Water is more of a day out. x

pompa Thu 21-May-15 17:54:41

Is there actually a park at Fosse park ?. That is my nightmare roundabout, never seem to be in the right lane, and as our Daughter lives at Narborough it is always on route.

Nelliemoser Thu 21-May-15 17:50:38

Does Abbey Park have a boat sailing lake? Western park? Foss park? it certainly had a few swings in 1951.

pompa Thu 21-May-15 17:38:14

Does anyone know where I can take my GS around Leicester to sail the pond yacht I have for him ?

kittylester Wed 20-May-15 18:42:12

The meeting was yesterday bimbadeen and we had a lovely time! I'm sure we'll have another one before too long.

Are you new to gn? Do you live in the city?

bimbadeen Wed 20-May-15 18:23:13

Can you please keep me informed as I live in Leicester but not certain how I'm fixed for a meeting.

Ann

Tegan Tue 19-May-15 19:49:54

That's good to hear; I was worrying about you getting back [I headed off in the wrong direction for the bus station but, thankfully asked someone in the street and they turned me round and pointed me in the opposite direction]. I wonder sometimes if I should be allowed out on my own confused]...

Nelliemoser Tue 19-May-15 19:30:36

I had a lovely time in good company and despite thinking I would miss my connection back home I have arrived in time for choir. Off to choir now.