Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Edinburgh late January

(107 Posts)
Elegran Wed 13-Dec-17 19:03:16

How about meeting round about 25th Jan for a so-called Burns lunch? (any excuse to eat drink and be merry) That would give those who couldn't make today's Christmas bash another chance.

Katek Fri 15-Dec-17 09:11:58

Any of those dates suit me although I would prefer a weekday if possible. I’ll go with the flow though.

Elegran Fri 15-Dec-17 11:05:19

From the top of my head, Friday 26th Jan could be a good day.

Jane10 Fri 15-Dec-17 12:00:00

The top of your head is fine by me!

Elegran Fri 15-Dec-17 13:00:03

It always amazes me how fast a consensus can be reached for a dozen people to meet on a certain day in a certain place!

Katek Fri 15-Dec-17 13:58:32

Suits me perfectly!

cascats Fri 15-Dec-17 20:20:34

Perfect for me, thanks Elegran.

GeminiJen Sat 16-Dec-17 14:31:10

Friday January 26 is hopefully good for me too, Elegran.
Thanks for taking this on board flowers

EllenT Sun 17-Dec-17 13:18:24

Not sure of free days around then - impending house sale. Will hopefully be able to come but best not to add me to the list except as a ‘possible’.

Elizabeth1 Thu 28-Dec-17 12:23:03

JollyG and Marydoll is it possible for you to email me on Giwilson@ Hotmail.co.uk and I’ll be able to confirm final arrangements for the Burns afternoon which is being held on 26th January. It’ll be a great afternoon.

Marydoll Sat 30-Dec-17 22:57:45

Elizabeth, I emailed you yesterday, did you get it?

Jangran99 Mon 01-Jan-18 13:46:57

A guid new year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the year to come,
O happy may ye be.

Looking forward to an amazing meet -up for Burns celebrations in Edinburgh.
See you all there.

Elegran Mon 01-Jan-18 20:51:53

If I don't post any more for a while it is not because I have dropped off the twig (well I don't have any immediate prospects of doing so, touch wood) but because one of my New Year Resolutions is not to spend so much time glued to the computer but to Get On With More Useful Things. There are very many Useful Things which need Getting On With. I shall look in from time to time to catch up on developments, and a PM will always reach me if you miss me. I'll be back when I get bored with being useful.

All the best to everyone for 2018.
See you all on the 26th Jan.

Elizabeth1 Sun 07-Jan-18 13:53:19

Hi Marydoll can you please resend your message on to my email address. Thank you

Elizabeth1 Sun 07-Jan-18 14:56:26

To all the lovely ladies who are coming to the Burns lunch on the 26th January. Please read the updated link Elegran has put on to Facebook where your comments will be greatly received. I shall also be pleased to hear if I’ve missed anything out from this event. Please note I’ve put the address of the venue on the closed Facebook link. So excited it’ll be a great fun time. Any ladies wishing to address the haggis and/or recite any Burns poems please bring these along with you smile

Marydoll Sun 07-Jan-18 16:09:16

Elizabeth I have PMd you with my email address, as I'm not sure I have the correct address.
Mary

oldgoat Fri 12-Jan-18 22:43:38

Please could somebody remind me what time we are meeting for the Burns lunch? Is it easy to get to the venue by bus from Waverley Station?

Baggs Sat 13-Jan-18 07:33:59

I could meet you at Waverley Station, oldgoat, and we can get lost together find our way there together ?

Jangran99 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:18:11

I'm going to be at Waverley, and hopefully Marydoll, so a shared taxi might be an option.

Baggs Sat 13-Jan-18 10:03:50

Good thinking, jangran.

oldgoat Sat 13-Jan-18 10:16:01

What time shall we meet at Waverley then? I still don't know what time we are expected to arrive for lunch.

Elegran Sat 13-Jan-18 11:07:07

The ETA is 12.30 for one, but don't hold your breath that you will actually be eating at one o'clock. I am on spud-bashing and I may still be peeling then. I should have recommended Auntie Bessie to Elizabeth1 at the very start of this!

There are several buses that go from Princes Street to Inverleith Row but sharing a taxi is a better idea. If you do get a bus, the 8, 23 and 27 stop near the East Gate of the Botanics, and it is only a short walk. I think you got the address elsewhere?

Elegran Sat 13-Jan-18 11:09:08

Not sure exactly where you catch the bus at the Waverley end of Princes Street, but a look on Traveline Scotland will get you the routes, bus-stops and times.

Jangran99 Sat 13-Jan-18 11:28:09

Could we meet around 12 in Waverley - the waiting room with toilets- and make our way from there by whichever means we decide ?Baggs I will PM you with my mobile number if that's OK so we have some contact.

baubles Sat 13-Jan-18 16:19:15

As Elegran and Elizabeth1 already know, there’s a chance that I may not be able to go. My MiL has been in hospital since Hogmanay and on Sunday the family was called to her bedside. Incredibly, she is still holding on to life but we are with her in shifts round the clock.

We are still a couple of weeks away from our Burns lunch though and my crystal ball seems to be faulty so I can’t know for sure.

If I do manage to come along I’d be happy to share a taxi from Waverley.

oldgoat Sat 13-Jan-18 16:40:38

Please, will there be room for me in the taxi, too? I'll catch a train that gets to Waverley before 12.00 and hang around in that big waiting room until I spot somebody that I recognise.

Thinking of you and your OH baubles . Such a difficult time for you and your family.