Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Lunch in Edinburgh [Edited by GNHQ at OP's request]

(168 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Elizabeth1 Tue 12-Jun-18 08:51:47

Where to next you lovely ladies. Any suggestions?

Katek Tue 12-Jun-18 09:46:04

Are you thinking of Edinburgh again? If so, why don’t we try the Royal Scots Club as suggested in the previous thread? September-ish?

Just my thoughts.

Jangran99 Tue 12-Jun-18 10:07:42

Always up for a meeting with all you lovely Edinburgh Grans. Great getting-to -know you, gossip,and grub !What's not to like?
I am away 12th-28th of September so hope I can make any agreed date,but I realise that may not be possible this time.

cascats Tue 12-Jun-18 11:37:52

As long as not August, then count me in please. Had a quick look at Royal Scots Club and it looks like lunch is members only (anyone a member? as assume they can invite guests?). They have private rooms but it seems if we took one of these everyone needs to have the same 3 courses.
As I said a quick look, so of course happy to be corrected by those with more knowledge. grin

Elegran Tue 12-Jun-18 11:56:10

It was Jane10's suggestion. Maybe she is a member?

Jane10 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:08:02

No I'm not a member. I've been to events there and liked it. I only posted to say that's where ROSL members are being rehoused. Of course there's always the New Club but somehow I don't think it's for us!!

Marydoll Tue 12-Jun-18 22:11:49

I'm up for it too. As always, it depends on childminding rota and September trip to Rome.

Elizabeth1 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:23:49

Can I come with you Marydoll envy

Marydoll Wed 13-Jun-18 23:21:53

Elizabeth, you are more than welcome. This is our 31st visit, so no need for a guide?

Elizabeth1 Fri 15-Jun-18 10:17:44

Can we agree the month of September week beginning 17th or the 24th. All in favour say aye smile

Jangran99 Fri 15-Jun-18 10:59:38

As I don't return from holiday until 27th I may have to miss out this time. sad There will be other meets I'm sure, so have a good one.

Jane10 Fri 15-Jun-18 12:20:14

I'd like to say aye but don't know how my forthcoming knee replacement op will go. I seemed to be incarcerated for ages after the last one. This one may go better but just don't know!!

Elegran Fri 15-Jun-18 13:59:46

Aye from me. Can't be absolutely certain that far ahead but it is probably OK.

Marydoll Fri 15-Jun-18 15:21:55

Aye for me too!. I'll be back after the 13th.
I can always go on a Tuesday, but obviously have to wait to see what days suit everyone else.

cascats Fri 15-Jun-18 22:54:52

Aye, from me as well. Subject of course to not being in Netherlands if daughter has problems!

Katek Fri 15-Jun-18 23:02:44

Aye from the north east!

Jangran99 Sun 15-Jul-18 17:44:46

All gone very quiet?Has anyone got a date in mind,or are too few available?

Elegran Mon 16-Jul-18 12:57:00

I was having a quick look for alternative venues that are easy to reach from Waverley. Didn't reach any conclusions, but I'll have a more serious look this evening.

Elegran Mon 16-Jul-18 20:29:30

There is this in Frederick Street.
www.millerandcarter.co.uk/restaurants/scotland-and-northern-ireland/millerandcarteredinburghcitycentre/daytimemenu
£11.50 lunch, two courses. Mostly steaky things, no veggie option but they have sea bass "Served with creamy mashed potato, lobster & Prosecco sauce, tempura samphire and fresh tomato salsa." or a craft sandwich of "Succulent hand battered haddock fillets in a toasted brioche bun with tartare sauce "

There is a Ghurka restaurant in Cockburn Street. They do have vegetarian dishes. www.gurkhacafe.co.uk/menu/

Marydoll Mon 16-Jul-18 20:48:50

I've been in Miller and Carter restaurants in Glasgow and the food has never disappointed.

Jane10 Mon 16-Jul-18 20:54:31

Both nice but they are restaurants so we may be put under pressure to eat and go (remember that place under the Gallery?). How about one of the Princes St hotels? There are a couple opposite the station. I think one is called the Old Waverley and the other the Royal British. We could meet in the bar, eat in the dining room and linger in the lounge over coffee rather than be hustled out. It's no more expensive than any of the city centre restaurants. Just a thought.

Elizabeth1 Wed 18-Jul-18 03:00:48

Sorry folks I was waiting until nearer the time suggested so that I could pick up the mantle again. I’ve been so very busy with work and family commitments.

Personally I like the idea of Miller and Carter especially the cost of a two course meal. However I continue to be open to other choices.

Can we agree the 28th September and hopefully the holidays will have passed.

All those in favour say aye.

Elizabeth1 Wed 18-Jul-18 03:26:47

The Old Waverley Cranston’s restaurant 2 course lunch meal £12.95 looks good to me.

The Royal British renamed Hotel Indigo (Turquoise Thistle) restaurant has been refurbished and the menu is a little more pricier than the other two choices.

Now I’ve had a closer look at the three menus and the prices my choice would be the Old Waverley.

Jangran99 Wed 18-Jul-18 10:31:09

Yippee, I can come on the 28th and any venue suits me. The Old Waverley is perfect for train travellers too but I’m happy anywhere??

cascats Wed 18-Jul-18 12:58:07

28th may be a no from me unfortunatel as daughters birthday next day. But will know nearer the time. Fingers crossed can make it.