Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Central London meets

(243 Posts)
notgoneyet Tue 21-May-19 16:18:52

As mentioned on previous thread (Ladies who like to lunch in London) I'm just starting this one.
If anyone fancies suggesting a date for a new Meet, or a venue (though Debenhams is pretty central) it would be lovely to see you all.

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Feb-20 22:19:02

This is the last time I have bumped this up. I will not be going on Friday. Thanks Bellanonna and Loopyloo for getting in touch to say you cannot go.

Niobe Tue 18-Feb-20 08:27:20

Just looked at this thread. I missed the bump ups as I have had a fair bit of babysitting to do. I will go into town anyway even if the meet-up is cancelled as will go up to Debenhams at 11am in case anyone else turns up. After all I will need a coffee at that time anyway! Enjoy your lie in Charleygirl and see you all next month.

Charleygirl5 Tue 18-Feb-20 09:21:36

Niobe I will see you there- that will now make three of us.

Charleygirl5 Tue 18-Feb-20 11:23:17

We can arrange the next meet up on Friday.

Niobe Wed 19-Feb-20 23:46:46

That’s great Charleygirl! See you on Friday.

grannysyb Thu 20-Feb-20 08:42:27

I'm afraid I can't make the meeting tomorrow, I really enjoyed the last one,so please keep me in the loop and let me know when the next meet up is. Have a good day tomorrow.

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Feb-20 09:07:09

Thank you for letting me know- I will keep you informed.

notgoneyet Thu 20-Feb-20 18:05:13

Hi Charleygirl5
I’ve been away so hadn’t looked at posts - as we had arranged for 21st Feb when we met up in January I just assumed that it was a definite. I’m going to come anyway, so I look forward to seeing anyone who appears ?

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Feb-20 18:27:30

There will be you, me and Niobe. See you tomorrow- I do hope they switch off the air conditioning.

Charleygirl5 Wed 11-Mar-20 13:40:29

We agreed on a meet up on Friday 20th March at Debenhams Oxford Street at 11 am.

I definitely will not be going- I am erring on the side of caution because I use a bus and two tubes to get there.

I have been in touch with Bellanonna and she is in agreement. She lives somewhere in south London.

The coronavirus has not reached its peak yet so in a few months we can make alternative arrangements.

Charleygirl5 Wed 11-Mar-20 18:12:46

Bumped up

notgoneyet Wed 11-Mar-20 20:44:22

I think under the circumstances I'll withdraw from next week's London meet, too. Too many people in central London careless of coughing, spluttering, sneezing etc so I don't really want to be that close to them all, especially as you seem to be able to have the virus for 5 days or so before showing any symptoms!
Hope to see you all again when this has calmed down.

Charleygirl5 Thu 12-Mar-20 11:23:02

I hope to see you in the near future notgoneyet.

notgoneyet Thu 12-Mar-20 23:47:30

You too Charleygirl

Bellanonna Thu 12-Mar-20 23:52:24

Thanks for posting, Charleygirl.

Niobe Tue 17-Mar-20 12:04:27

Stay safe everyone and see you when the crisis is over.

Charleygirl5 Tue 17-Mar-20 12:08:08

I have been in touch with those who were aware of our next meeting date so yes, Niobe we will meet again and the way things are going it will be in the dim and distant future!

Look after yourselves- this is a temporary au revoir.

Cat4 Sun 14-Feb-21 18:46:26

Hello, when you eventually meet up please could you let me know? Thanks

Rowantree Tue 13-Apr-21 09:10:43

I'm cautiously interested too, though I haven't been on a train for over a year!

Charleygirl5 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:31:04

We will definitely meet up again when allowed. The minor problem is going to be where. Has anybody got any bright ideas? Some places charge a fortune- Selfridges being one.

Niobe Sun 08-Aug-21 11:56:17

Hi Charleygirl and all the other regulars from the London meet-ups, now that we have lost Debenhams it might be worth looking to see if there is a suitable meeting venue for us a bit away from Oxford St. I travel in on the Central Line so a few more stops from Bond Street would not matter . Any ideas?

vegansrock Sun 08-Aug-21 12:02:11

John Lewis? Peter Jones?

Charleygirl5 Sun 08-Aug-21 13:17:32

I agree, John Lewis may be an option. We could at least try it out once and see what we think. Costa or similar is not an option because they do not want people hogging tables for a couple of hours and buying one cup of coffee each.

Does anybody know if either of the M&S stores has coffee shops there?

Niobe Sun 08-Aug-21 17:25:29

We were in JL in Oxford Street a few days ago and it was very quiet. Only sandwiches and cakes available. Plenty of distance between tables. Worth a try.
M and S at Marble Arch do have a coffee shop but not sure if it’s still open.

Charleygirl5 Sun 08-Aug-21 19:05:11

Niobe that is helpful. When would people like to meet up? I would prefer a Monday or a Friday.