Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Dovecot Tapestry studio visit - now trying to organise for September

(60 Posts)
Elegran Thu 22-Aug-19 09:35:13

We failed to get a date for this in May/June, but there is still interest so I am starting again.

For those who missed the first thread, The Dovecot Studios weave beautiful tapestries, and are also a design and craft centre, with exhibitions. Their tapestry designs are from various sources - the one I remember from long ago was from a painting of tulips by Elizabeth Blackader, but they do modern and traditional designs. They used to work overlooking the old Dovecot in Corstorphine, but moved to the previous Infirmary Baths, where their workspace is above what used to be the swimming pool. Above it is still a balcony all round, from which you can look down and watch them, with posters on the walls. This is free!!

Their website is dovecotstudios.com/

Also, they do group visits, with a weaver explaining what is happening and answering questions - this is NOT free, the "Dovecot from Above" tour is £200 for up to 20 people. (there are other tours too) For this to be viable, we would need 20 people each happy to pay £10 (or almost 20 people paying a bit more than £10 each) If it were fewer people, the cost would go up proportionately. It would be booked in advance, and a date agreed with them.

Who would like to do this? How many would be prepared to pay £10, how many would rather do the free DIY visit? How much more would you be happy to pay if numbers were a lot less than 20?

Baggs Thu 22-Aug-19 12:36:12

I'm happy to do the paid visit or the free one. Dates I can't do in September are the 6th and the 13th.

Getting there in time could be awkward for me depending on start times of a proposed visit.

Baggs Thu 22-Aug-19 12:39:52

PS Thanks for the email alerting me to this thread, elegran. ?

almonds Thu 22-Aug-19 12:47:06

Please put me on the list. Happy to pay. Dates - Are there dates you are thinking of? Some dates I can't do but some of them I may manage depending on the time. Thank you for your time and effort

Elegran Thu 22-Aug-19 13:35:16

I've added Baggs and Almonds. I've discovered that the reason I couldn't PM Baggs was that I assumed she was still Thatbags - I'm behind the times.

Elegran Thu 22-Aug-19 13:43:48

Possible September dates now are

Any Tuesday
Mondays, 2nd, 9th, or 23rd
Fridays 6th, 20th, or 27th

The earlier dates may not be bookable with Dovecot studios if we go for the paid group visit - so far we have three of us happy to do that (only 17 more needed . . ) As far as I can tell, the free DIY visit is OK any day.
Mother India cafe is just across the road. www.motherindia.co.uk/index.php/mother-indias-cafe-edinburgh-home

Elegran Thu 22-Aug-19 13:49:58

Make that four, Baubles is added.

baubles Thu 22-Aug-19 15:37:58

Thanks Elegran. I’m happy to do either paid or free.

Dates that I can manage are any Tuesday, Monday 23rd or Friday 27th.

baubles Thu 22-Aug-19 16:22:06

Oops strike Tuesday 24th, apologies for being a pain.

Elegran Thu 22-Aug-19 20:07:18

Date choice now down to Tuesday 17th, Monday 23rd, Tuesday 27th September. plus I have just realised that I missed out Monday 30th earlier - no-one has said anything for or against that!

Five names down for it so far, Me, Baubles, Almonds, Baggs, Grammaretto - almost enough to fill a table nicely for lunch afterwards but not to justify the £200 for the group visit, so unless there is a rush of interest it could be the DIY version (peer over the balcony and work out for ourselves what they are doing) Could non-GN members (family and friends) fill the gap?

GeminiJen Thu 22-Aug-19 20:44:20

Elegran
Thanks for the PM.
Really sorry to miss this but looking forward to hearing all about it....

Jane10 Thu 22-Aug-19 20:56:05

Didn't get a PM. Now in too big a huff to come!

Grammaretto Thu 22-Aug-19 21:33:52

I can come on either of those 3 dates and could ask if anyone wants to join us once we have a date. Thanks Elegran
Really Jane10 wink

Elegran Thu 22-Aug-19 22:06:36

Oh,Jane10 Diddums den! shall I send you a PM now? Would you come then? I know you are not into all this crafty
nonsense but you'd enjoy the lunch afterwards!

cascats Thu 22-Aug-19 22:55:31

Thanks again Elegran for trying to organise this.
Currently can do 23rd and 27th.
But not too early please grin as will take a couple of hours to get there!
And most definitely for lunch of course.

Grammaretto Fri 23-Aug-19 07:45:29

There's a nice (I think) cafe called Spoon on Nicholson St. It's upstairs though and very casual so maybe not to GN usual standard. Have you already booked lunch?

Elegran Fri 23-Aug-19 16:56:34

Sounds as if it is on but not the paid tour unless the six of us pay £33 each.

Dates are down to the Monday or the Friday now. I prefer the Monday as I'd have to miss a regular art group meeting on Friday.

For those travelling to Edinburgh, we are probably best to eat first and then cross the road and do the viewing.

Here are the menus for the Spoon (Nicolson Street) and for Mother India (Infirmary Street).

spoonedinburgh.co.uk/menus
www.motherindia.co.uk/index.php/mother-indias-cafe-edinburgh-home

Baggs Fri 23-Aug-19 17:24:15

Looking good! I can do either the Monday or the Friday and don't mind which.

baubles Fri 23-Aug-19 18:00:03

I can do either Elegran.

Elegran Fri 23-Aug-19 18:30:09

Shall we settle on the Monday, then? Eat first, then go and look at the tapestry, for the sake of those who have further to travel.

I would still prefer the Indian meal, but I'm open to opinions?

Grammaretto Fri 23-Aug-19 18:53:36

I'm easy and love Indian too. Spoon has some round tables and ones in the window overlooking the street so is quite light and airy.

Let's make it the Monday 23rd and hope that everyone can come.
The Grayson Perry exhibition is on there, at the Dovecot, until November too.
Looking forward to it.

Elegran Fri 23-Aug-19 19:48:05

Shall I book for six at Mother India, then? When can those of you from outside Edinburgh get there? 1.00 pm? 12.30?

Infirmary Street is opposite the University Old Quad. Blackwells (Thins) is on the corner.

cascats Fri 23-Aug-19 21:13:36

Fine for me, lets say 12:30 at Mother India? on Monday 23rd September.
If thats o.k with everyone?

baubles Fri 23-Aug-19 22:14:57

12.30 is fine for me, I’m not the furthest away from Edinburgh though.

Elegran Sat 24-Aug-19 10:56:31

I'll book for 12.30 - people can arrive as they can. By the time we all get settled in, it'll be 1.00 before we actually eat anyway.

The Dovecot doesn't need booking for an informal visit.