Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Wheelchair-friendly meetup in St Andrews

(33 Posts)
Elegran Thu 12-Mar-20 09:50:31

Elizabeth1 has missed a lot of our fish-and-chips at the Tailend recently, but is now well enough to join us again. Unfortunately, the Tailend is definitely not wheelchair-friendly, with various sets of steps to negotiate. But all is not lost! We plan to meet in April at The Dolls House (still in St Andrews), instead.

How about the week beginning 13th April? Could those who would like to come let me know the days that are impossible for you and I will cross them off, then book a day that (fingers crossed) suits everyone. Do bear in mind, though, that for some it will involve quite a bit of travelling on possibly crowded public transport, and by then that may not be advisable for the older and/or more vulnerable of us, so it may have to be cancelled.

Elizabeth1 Thu 12-Mar-20 11:53:17

Hi there thank you so much Elegran for arranging a lunch in a wheelchair friendly restaurant I would love to come along with my carer on Friday 24th my dh has a bad cough due to his asthma so I’m advising him to have a wee rest away from me and the rest of the world he prefers to spend free time in his shed with his train set well whatever takes the fancy eh.hewill be refreshing his energy cells ready for the next bout of caring he's been a star these last few months. wink

Elizabeth1 Thu 12-Mar-20 11:54:27

Looking forward to meeting up with old pals again. smile

Elegran Thu 12-Mar-20 12:24:37

Looking forward to seeing you again too, Elizabeth1. I'll pencil in Friday the 24th April.

Baggs Thu 12-Mar-20 13:49:53

I'd love to come to one of these. Perhaps when we've got over the hump of covid19. It's a very long journey for me so I think I'd have to make an overnighter of it. I haven't been in St.Andrews since the RSCDS Summer School of 2003. I went from Oxford for the week. It was my first nights away from Minibaggs, who was two and a half. She was used to me going to teach classes in the evenings but on day two or three when I rang home from St. Andrews you could hear the disbelief in her voice when she said, "You still dancing?" ?

Elizabeth1 Thu 12-Mar-20 13:56:58

I hats my name down for Friday 24th April lovely cafe just waiting for time to be confirmed.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Mar-20 15:11:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Mar-20 15:29:59

Try again,
I probably can't come on 24th because I am expecting Australian visitors that week.

A pity because I would love to see Elizabeth1 again. I hope you have a lovely time and if things change or the virus means none of us can get out, we can always have a conference call and eat fish and chips in our own houses.

Marelli Thu 12-Mar-20 15:46:16

Pencilling in 24th April ?. Pretty sure Ina will be OK for it too, but I'll check. I'll also check on Lurkio.

Elegran Thu 12-Mar-20 20:11:48

Four of us so far!

weenanni59 Thu 12-Mar-20 20:35:13

I have an appointment on the 24 th .
I will see if I can rearrange it ... a trip to St Andrews would be lovely ?

Marelli Thu 12-Mar-20 22:26:41

Ina won't be able to come as she has an appointment she must keep, but Lurkio should be fine for it. She might have to juggle a prior arrangement, but would love to come.

Grammaretto Fri 13-Mar-20 18:20:06

I now will be able to come on 24th as the Australian family have postponed their trip due to coronovirus.
Unless ofcourse everything is cancelled sad

tiredoldwoman Fri 13-Mar-20 18:50:16

Corona has come to St.Andrews - today's news .

Brunette10 Fri 13-Mar-20 19:01:45

Unfortunately DH and I look after our DGS’s on a Friday so won’t manage. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you all who are able to attend that it will still be able to go ahead. Just having a little rest now after all day with a 16 month and 3 year old.smile

cascats Fri 13-Mar-20 19:17:19

Sorry, will be in Northern Ireland that weekend, for friends 60th, all being well with travel plans of course.
Would have been lovely to see you again Elizabeth1, but hopefully will catch up next time.
Have a good meeting, all you those who are going to make it.

Elegran Fri 13-Mar-20 19:33:25

It seems that our timing and choice of venue is unfortunate! However, by the 24th April the situation will probably be completely changed - St Andrews will either be a hotbed of CoVid19-infected students or all the inhabitants will have had it and be perfectly well again. It would be useful to have a crystal ball to tell us which it will be.

Grammaretto Fri 13-Mar-20 21:09:16

Indeed Ellegran a crystal ball. I'll look into it. grin

Elizabeth1 Sun 15-Mar-20 10:00:26

grammaretto what says your Cristal ball sunshine

Grammaretto Sun 15-Mar-20 10:17:53

Elizabeth1 !'m sorry to say it changes its advice every day. How is yours doing? and how are you doing?

Elizabeth1 Sun 15-Mar-20 10:50:34

I’m good today thank you grammaretto my Cristal ball says church then a kfc yum yum followed by a restful afternoon I’m not reading too much into the future will just wait and see which way the wind blows sunshine

Grammaretto Sun 15-Mar-20 11:04:32

Very wise words Elizabeth1
I hope we meet up again soon. xx

Elegran Mon 16-Mar-20 12:14:09

In the light of the advice to over 70s to keep away from people, the news that a student in St Andrews has CoVid19, and the prediction that cases everywhere will be multiplying in the next few weeks, what is the consensus about this meet-up?

Elegran Tue 17-Mar-20 12:30:56

Bump.

Grammaretto Tue 17-Mar-20 12:43:33

We won't have any other plans that day so should we wait to hear what the latest advice is,