Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Fife meet up st Andrews perhaps?

(71 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Tue 08-Jun-21 16:48:25

Hello everyone, now most of Scotland is in level 1 why don’t we consider a meet up in Fife it’ll be safe enough if we all stick to the rules etc. Hand washing, keeping our distance, wearing face coverings
up to 12 people from 12 households can meet outdoors in your garden or a public place is the latest
Ideas please wheelchair access required smile

Callistemon Thu 10-Jun-21 15:37:11

It always sounds so romantic to those of us south and east of the border.

Sand dunes, beaches, an ancient university, a ruined castle, an ancient cathedral, old buildings - not to mention the golf....

Grammaretto Thu 10-Jun-21 15:44:43

We had a lovely meet up there a couple of years ago.
We went to the fish restaurant that time but were planning another one when covid struck and Elizabeth1 wasn't well enough.
I find St Andrews accessible by bus from Edinburgh with a short walk into town.
The place is always worth a visit and the people, but I agree about the weather Elegran - unpredictable.

It was an English bank holiday and half term last week Aveline so everywhere was crowded.
The students may be gone by the end of June....

Polly12 Thu 10-Jun-21 15:45:04

Sounds like Aberystwyth smile

Chewbacca Thu 10-Jun-21 15:55:00

I visited St Andrews once and thought it was just beautiful; I'd attend this meet up like a shot if it wasn't 200+ miles away! Quite agree with your post @ 15.33 Polly12.

Callistemon Thu 10-Jun-21 15:59:14

Polly12

Sounds like Aberystwyth smile

But without the Welsh language! ?

Largolass Thu 10-Jun-21 16:00:50

Last weekend was a local Fife holiday so most places were very busy.

seacliff Thu 10-Jun-21 16:16:28

I'd love to go and meet up with you all, even if it is windy, crowded, etc. What a lovely thing to do.

Alas too far for me, down in Suffolk. Our local beauty spots like Southwold and Aldeburgh are also heaving during bank holidays, half term, and summer weekends. The locals tend to visit early in the week and we usually know some out of the way spots that are not so crowded. Public transport is not good around here so we mostly have cars or get a lift. Hope you all have a lovely meetup.

Marydoll Thu 10-Jun-21 16:44:10

Elizabeth, would it be an idea to hold fire, until you are feeling stronger and wait until life is more settled?
I'm holding off organising the Glesca Grannies meet up until everyone can meet up safely and feel confident enough to travel.
We are still in Level 2 here in Glasgow, as many areas are and our numbers are still rising.
I hope you continue to make good progress. ?

Baggs Thu 10-Jun-21 17:10:59

Is much Welsh spoken in Aberystwyth? It wasn't on the occasions when I've been there. Must ask MrB; he was there for three years, is Welsh, and does not speak Welsh.

Baggs Thu 10-Jun-21 17:12:18

I'd like to be there for a St Andrews meet up but mid-July ia tricky. Put me down for later in the year, please.

Elizabeth1 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:13:45

Bridie54 meet you at the Criterion at 12 midday on Tuesday 22nd looking forward to meeting you we’ll be outside the Resteraunt. It might be a nice day or not that’s the beauty of the Scottish weather be prepared ??

Elegran Thu 10-Jun-21 17:18:17

Edinburgh is still in level 2 as well, as are quite a few areas of Scotland. There is a map showing the areas at levels 0, 1 and 2 at inews.co.uk/news/scotland/scotland-level-map-covid-restrictions-what-tier-areas-postcode-checker-lockdown-update-1029118
St Andrews is at the extreme eastern end of Fife, the chunk of land to the North of Edinburgh.

The fastest bus from Edinburgh normally takes 1h 55m, and the Edinburgh to St. Andrews train on average 55 minutes, but the train terminus is at Leuchars, about 6 miles away, the rest of the journey is by bus and takes 14 minutes, so the total time, including a possible wait for the bus, is about 1 hr 25 minutes.

St Andrews is in level 1,
At Level 1 you can meet socially in groups:
of up to 6 people from 3 households in your home or theirs – and can stay overnight
of up to 8 people from 3 households in an indoor public place like a café, pub or restaurant
of up to 12 people from 12 households outdoors in your garden or a public place (but I for one wouldn't recommend eating in a public place in St Andrews unless the weather is exceptional)

Elizabeth1 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:19:52

Sorry. Baggs I’ve only just noticed your post. Oops If you’re up for it a few gnetters are meeting at the Criterion restaurant st Andrews on Tuesday 22nd June at 12 midday my dh taxi driver will just paddle off to watch any golf being played he said he doesn’t fancy sitting listening to a gaggle of women chatting away . His loss eh. grin

Callistemon Thu 10-Jun-21 17:37:28

Baggs

Is much Welsh spoken in Aberystwyth? It wasn't on the occasions when I've been there. Must ask MrB; he was there for three years, is Welsh, and does not speak Welsh.

Perhaps I posted that because of the struggle I had phoning the medical services this afternoon and meeting a barrage of Welsh first before the English spiel came on.
Getting through the system where Welsh is predominant is not easy, especially since the lovely doctor I saw yesterday confessed she spoke no Welsh and I know little either.

I'm not sure how long ago Mr B was there?

Sorry, Elizabeth, a red herring

Callistemon Thu 10-Jun-21 17:39:37

www.aberystwyth-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=135541&headline=Calls%20for%20county%20council%20to%20work%20%E2%80%98mostly%20in%20Welsh%E2%80%99§ionIs=news&searchyear=2021

maddyone Thu 10-Jun-21 17:42:14

Good luck with your meet up, those of you who can make it. I’m on the south coast, so far too far away. Enjoy anyway.

Elizabeth1 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:48:42

Please can I have confirmation of who’s coming to st Andrews I’m getting all in a muddle my eyes are failing at this time of night. What a lovely girl at the restaurant who said she’ll look after us she knows how I am because her mum had the same horrible health experience as I did. People can be soooo nice.

Elizabeth1 Sat 12-Jun-21 07:53:07

And there’s a kind lady saying the shop or restaurant next door has wheelchair access and is happy to allow me and others with reduced mobility to use their facilities it’s only to be expected some of these beautiful old buildings have no access, no worries there it’s ALL SORTED in that department.

That’s another flow test done by me and my husband at home showing a negative result hurrah ? just needing the good weather it’s never guaranteed though but then it never is, a golfing umbrella will be close to hand and a nice warm coat ?

baubles Sat 12-Jun-21 08:18:53

Elizabeth I won’t be able to come along but I hope you all have a lovely time.

Elizabeth1 Sat 12-Jun-21 17:10:23

Kalu.I would be happy to organise somewhere which may suit others at a time when things have settled down and folks feel safer it’ll give me something to do during my recovery wink

Elizabeth1 Sat 12-Jun-21 17:12:37

Another time Baubles it’s been an age since I saw you last hope you’re well smile

Charleygirl5 Sat 12-Jun-21 18:14:38

Elizabeth1 have a great time - it sounds ideal. I hope the food is to your liking. As I said previously, London is a tad far away although I was born and brought up on the east coast of Fife I have not returned for many years.

baubles Sun 13-Jun-21 16:58:21

Elizabeth1

Another time Baubles it’s been an age since I saw you last hope you’re well smile

Very well thanks. smile Yes it’s been an age. Perhaps if there’s an Edinburgh meet up at some point we might both manage it?

Elizabeth1 Mon 14-Jun-21 08:52:24

I’ve just been reading the Criterion in St. Andrews reviews they are excellent and helps me and others feel safe while having good food in these awful times. It’s a really pity St. Andrews is a difficult place to get to for those who don’t drive. Perhaps another time ladies don’t give up, think of Veras famous war time song we’ll meet again. winkmany of us have had lots of fun together pre Covid and pre stroke

Elegran Mon 14-Jun-21 08:59:46

There WILL be an Edinburgh meet-up at some point, folks,and I look forward to catching up with everyone, but not just yet. Meanwhile, stay well, and take care.