Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Fife meet up st Andrews perhaps?

(71 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Tue 08-Jun-21 16:48:25

Hello everyone, now most of Scotland is in level 1 why don’t we consider a meet up in Fife it’ll be safe enough if we all stick to the rules etc. Hand washing, keeping our distance, wearing face coverings
up to 12 people from 12 households can meet outdoors in your garden or a public place is the latest
Ideas please wheelchair access required smile

Shelflife Mon 14-Jun-21 09:29:53

Elizabeth 1 , go girl! I live miles away so no chance of attending. All Elizabeth is doing is endeavouring to arrange a meet up. It has absolutely nothing to do with those people who are probably not going yet feel it necessary to to dampen the efforts if Elizabeth! Enjoy your meet up Elizabeth , well done you.

Marydoll Mon 14-Jun-21 10:15:37

No-one is trying to dampen Elizabeth's spirits or spoil the meet up. Many of us know her, are friends, but have taken account of ALL the facts and the Scottish Govt. guidelines. We just want to keep take notice of everyone's needs. We are all in different levels, which needs to be taken into consideration. A few weeks won't make much of a difference. That is why I'm holding off organising the Glesca Grannies meet up. We are not quite there yet. Everyone needs to feel comfortable.
I'm sure those attending will have a lovely time.

Elizabeth1 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:32:42

The sun is shining it’s been a fabulous morning here in St. Andrews and not too busy everyone abiding by the rules as far as I can see. I’ve had a big fat orange and lemon cake with a dish of cream and fruit on the side delicious xxxxxxx

Elizabeth1 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:35:29

The sun has got his hat on hip hip hip hooray

Baggs Mon 14-Jun-21 13:20:55

Callistemon

Baggs

Is much Welsh spoken in Aberystwyth? It wasn't on the occasions when I've been there. Must ask MrB; he was there for three years, is Welsh, and does not speak Welsh.

Perhaps I posted that because of the struggle I had phoning the medical services this afternoon and meeting a barrage of Welsh first before the English spiel came on.
Getting through the system where Welsh is predominant is not easy, especially since the lovely doctor I saw yesterday confessed she spoke no Welsh and I know little either.

I'm not sure how long ago Mr B was there?

Sorry, Elizabeth, a red herring

Mr B was born in and grew up in Cardiff, then spent three years in Aberystwyth at university where everyone he knew spoke English. He spoke English always. He learnt a little Welsh later on but has never been a Welsh speaker.

I think Welsh is fairly common in north Wales but not in the south.

Callistemon Mon 14-Jun-21 16:16:45

It's more and more prevalent everywhere, Baggs.
Besides being compulsory in school from reception up to GCSE level, every official document, every notice is translated into Welsh- or rather written in Welsh with English now as an after-thought in many cases. I found the instructions for going for my vaccinations difficult to follow and, as most people don't speak Welsh here, so did others if the grumbles in the queue were anything to go by.
Every official telephone call is answered in Welsh first with an option for English later.
Road signs - hunt the English version. Bump!

Someone twittered: How dare people come over here "and not learn our language"!

Croeso y Cymru
Or Croeso i Gymru

I'm trying to learn but it could take some time.

Elizabeth1 Mon 14-Jun-21 19:36:52

I love the theatre and restaurants in Edinburgh elegran my life has changed though since those first meet ups I’ve been told by the medical professionals I’ll never be the same again. I therefore have to rely on my dh to get me around and he isn’t always available and he doesn’t like being in a crowd of ladies whittering away. What am I to do?

Marydoll Mon 14-Jun-21 19:42:35

Elizabeth, you look well, as does your husband. Lovely to see you enjoying yourself.
Not many men like being around a crowd of ladies, wittering away. grin
For health reasons, much to my sorrow, I don't see me making the Edinburgh meet ups again either. I'm not up to travelling any distance on my own any more. sad
We just have to adapt as best we can, although it isn't what we hope for.

Elegran Mon 14-Jun-21 19:45:32

Can mobility scooters be used on trains, Isabel? You could get a train to Waverley and then rattle along to wherever we meet up. Handy for carrying home whatever you buy in Princes Street too. I imagine Waverley must be organised for people to get out without using stairs - if Leuchars can do it, Waverley can.

Elegran Mon 14-Jun-21 19:47:58

Sorry, a mistake in my last post, I meant to type Elizabeth1 Brain fog, I've spent the day installing a new app on my PC and I've no grey cells left.

Marydoll Mon 14-Jun-21 20:02:36

Elegran, excellent suggestion! Waverly has the ramp, bringing you out behind the Waverley Centre, no need for stairs.
Elizabeth, you could bring your sister for some company. All is not lost!

Elegran Mon 14-Jun-21 20:44:45

We could sit on your knee for a hurl (not all at once)

Grammaretto Mon 14-Jun-21 21:31:03

What I want to know is: Is the St Andrews meetup going ahead? It is very soon, a week tomorrow June 22nd?
If it is to be postponed due to new covid outbreaks/rules, please can someone tell me.

That's a lovely picture of you both Elizabeth1

Elizabeth1 Tue 15-Jun-21 08:05:38

3 for lunch now I did a recce yesterday the restaurant is a very nice and safe place to be if the suns shining. I’ll be happy to add one more name to the group if you feel up to it

Elizabeth1 Tue 15-Jun-21 08:11:05

And yes it’s still going ahead rain or shine I was even welcomed into the restaurant personally and by name.

I was delighted to get an elbow bump from the young man who quickly came to our assistance. Mind you everyone is young compared to me these days wink

Elizabeth1 Tue 15-Jun-21 08:23:25

12.30 please

Elizabeth1 Wed 16-Jun-21 08:28:26

That me my dh and a couple of friends visiting from England going to the Criterion in St. Andrews on Friday for lunch I think I’ll go for the chicken nachos I like a bit of crunch however I think we’ll be lunching inside looking at the weather but hey ho that’s Scotland for you. wink

Elizabeth1 Mon 21-Jun-21 10:19:28

I’m looking forward to going to the Criterion in St. Andrews tomorrow where I’ll be meeting a Gransnet I’ve never met before I think she’ll have to wear a red rose ? I’ll be easy to spot cause I’ll be in the wheelchair and hope there will only be one female in a wheelchair my dh is also going to lunch with us as a treat for him wink

bridie54 Tue 22-Jun-21 22:46:17

Thank you so much Elizabeth1 for all the work organising our meet up today. Luckily my daughter (who I’m holidaying with this week ) fancied a trip to St Andrews do we drove up from near Glasgow where she lives. She parked easily near the beach and I found the Criterion no problem. Just a wee walk and I realise I’m lucky having no mobility issues which others may have.
The company was great, food was excellent and the Scottish sun was shining. Lucky one there!
So this was my first meet up , here’s hoping more of you feel comfortable enough to make it to the next and also hope that I can make it too. Thanks again Elizabeth1.
PS. Sorry I didn’t see the message about wearing a red rose! And also lucky that the staff knew you because as luck had it there were 2 ladies there in wheelchairs accompanied by their husbands.

Grammaretto Wed 23-Jun-21 08:44:28

I am so glad you enjoyed the meetup at St Andrews yesterday and sorry I couldn't make it.
It sounds like it was the place to be!