Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Birmingham

(101 Posts)
Elrel Tue 09-Jan-24 18:16:56

I really enjoyed our meet ups before Covid. At present I’m not getting out enough. Sadly John Lewis is no longer in Brum, gone, scones and all.
Please post if you are interested in a coffee or lunch meet up. I would love to meet old friends and make new ones. Nonnie, Tegan, Blinko, Hellobaby, I hope we’ll meet again - soon.

Hellobaby1 Tue 09-Jan-24 19:04:48

Hi Elrel, I am up for a meeting 😁

BridgetPark Tue 09-Jan-24 19:11:08

Elrel, do you mean in Birmingham?

RosiesMaw Tue 09-Jan-24 19:18:47

Did any of you go to one of the early ”Midlands Meet ups” at the Museum and Art Gallery years ago? I think there must have been 20 of us including Galen, Kittylester, Maybee , Crimson, JessM, Glitabo, Ana and many others whose names I forget and who may no longer be with us. Some (including me) had come miles and miles!
It was huge fun and having outstayed our welcome at the gallery we moved on to a hotel the other side of Symphony Hall to continue with wine etc.
(Is DoraMarr still a member in Moseley/Edgbaston? )

Hellobaby1 Tue 09-Jan-24 19:38:43

I remember a meeting at the museum and art gallery, must be about five years ago now. I remember Elrel and Blinko being there. It is still closed for maintenance work at the moment but read that a phased reopening is scheduled for this February.

Blinko Tue 09-Jan-24 19:44:36

Hello, I’m definitely up for meeting again!

MayBee70 Tue 09-Jan-24 23:22:38

I’d love to revisit the Museum and Art Gallery again; one of my favourite haunts when I was a child. I’m away quite a lot until after Easter though. I like to think that I made some lifelong friends at that first meeting and then met the lovely Elrel at a later one. I thought the art gallery was going to be moved to a new building on the outskirts of Birmingham; an awful idea imo

Elrel Wed 10-Jan-24 00:56:43

Delighted to see the possibility of a meet up, probably in Birmingham. So many new places have opened in both the centre and the suburbs as other closed that suggestions of venues and possible dates would be welcome. I’m sure there are plenty of good places in Grand Central or the Brindley Place area but am out of touch with recent changes. Sadly the Art Gallery is reopening only the Gas Hall on February 14th, other sections to follow, one hopes.

Hellobaby1 Wed 10-Jan-24 11:31:14

Have a look at The Exchange Cafe, it is opposite the library. I have not been in there yet but the pictures on the website look ok.

Elrel Wed 10-Jan-24 15:47:55

I see that The Exchange is in the former Municipal Bank head office. Online it looks pleasant and spacious with a varied menu. I especially like that, being part of Birmingham University, some produce comes from their lovely Botanic Garden at Winterbourne.
Is anyone in touch with PensionPat or Nonnie?

NannyJan53 Thu 18-Jan-24 08:06:32

I would be interested in a Birmingham meet. I went to a few pre-Covid in John Lewis cafe and Edwardian Tea Rooms in the Art Gallery.

I mentioned it the good morning thread recently and a couple of people sent a pm saying they were interested. So count me in!

Blinko Thu 18-Jan-24 15:45:24

Looks like there's a few of us then...

Elrel Sat 20-Jan-24 19:10:09

Thank you NannyJan, How about the week beginning 5th February? 11am for coffee ok? Suggestions for date and venue still welcome.

NannyJan53 Sun 21-Jan-24 08:30:44

I can do the Tuesday, Thursday or Friday w/c 5th February Elrel Or Tuesday, Thursday, Friday w/c 12th February.

As for venue, I looked at The Exchange cafe, and that seemed a good venue. Although there is no mention of coffee and teas on their menu? There is the Medicine Bakery in New Street or The Mailbox. There is also the Grand Central Cafe in New Street, although last time I went there it was very busy and a struggle to find a table. Hopefully others will have some suggestions?

Look forward to seeing you again Blinko

Gymstagran Sun 21-Jan-24 11:03:36

I'm watching with interest. Thanks NannyJan for heads up on the good morning thread.

SandraF Sun 21-Jan-24 11:46:33

I would like to have the opportunity for a meet up. The Exchange oppositethe Library sounds a good plan; you can get there on the Metro from outside New St station.

NannyJan53 Sun 21-Jan-24 14:09:18

It does sound ideal SandraF have you been there in the past. I could get the train then the Metro from Jewllery Quarter.

Blinko Sun 21-Jan-24 14:20:22

W/c 12th yes, w/c 5th, afraid not for me.

Blinko Sun 21-Jan-24 14:21:53

Not Friday 16th though…

pensionpat Sun 21-Jan-24 14:33:00

Hello Elrel. I remember you too I would love to meet up again, particularly if it were at The Exchange, since I worked for Birmingham Municipal Bank before starting my family. I am free 7th and 8th February and 14th and 15th February.

argymargy Sun 21-Jan-24 14:44:12

The Exchange cafe is lovely - I've been a few times. They certainly do coffee & tea!!

Blinko Sun 21-Jan-24 15:26:24

Looking forward to seeing you too, NJ and everyone.

Elrel Mon 22-Jan-24 23:44:11

How does the 13th or 15th sound?

BigBertha1 Tue 23-Jan-24 06:48:47

Count me in. Love to come.

Blinko Tue 23-Jan-24 12:27:34

13th or 15th are good for me...