Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Fife meet up st Andrews perhaps?

(70 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Tue 08-Jun-21 16:48:25

Hello everyone, now most of Scotland is in level 1 why don’t we consider a meet up in Fife it’ll be safe enough if we all stick to the rules etc. Hand washing, keeping our distance, wearing face coverings
up to 12 people from 12 households can meet outdoors in your garden or a public place is the latest
Ideas please wheelchair access required smile

Aveline Tue 08-Jun-21 16:54:36

Too late. Was there last weekend!

Elizabeth1 Tue 08-Jun-21 18:09:42

Hope the sun was shiningAveline

Elizabeth1 Tue 08-Jun-21 21:01:38

The maximum number of people who can meet socially outdoors in a private garden or in a public place such as a park or an outdoor area of a café is 12, which can be from up to 12 separate households. This applies to anyone aged 12 or over.

Aveline Tue 08-Jun-21 21:16:02

Oh so you're organising a garden party? Great!

Elizabeth1 Wed 09-Jun-21 05:41:39

Please pm me if anyone is interested in going to a Restaurant with outdoor seating for up to 12 if that’s permissible and I’m not jumping the gun I’d be happy to organise something perhaps mid July smile

Elizabeth1 Wed 09-Jun-21 10:08:56

I’m taking names of up to six people some folks need this number for reassurance I’ve got four names already I now need to discuss a possible date realising this might change depending on government legislation and the tier system how lovely it’ll be to be seeing folks in the flesh again bring it on ????

Marydoll Wed 09-Jun-21 10:51:08

Elizabeth, lovely to read that you are feeling up to organising a meet up. Something for you to look forward to. Fingers cross that you get enough takers to go ahead!

Chewbacca Wed 09-Jun-21 16:24:20

Ah Elizabeth, i wish I was closer to you because I'd have loved to have come and met you but, as I'm in NW England, it's too far for me to come. I hope your meet up goes ahead and lovely, pleasant people join you. flowers

Callistemon Wed 09-Jun-21 16:41:00

Too far for me too but I hope you can organise a lovely get together.

Charleygirl5 Wed 09-Jun-21 16:58:36

Sounds great I was born and brought up in Fife with St. Andrews being a bus ride away. Unfortunately London is a tad far for me- I do hope sufficient people are interested.

Elizabeth1 Wed 09-Jun-21 18:09:57

A few good friends will do I’m not looking for any more than 6 I’ve reassessed the situation and the weather is so unpredictable and I’ll have to scout around for somewhere which will take us inside should we have inclement weather. Fingers crossed you hardy lot. ?

bridie54 Wed 09-Jun-21 19:31:40

I would be happy to come and meet up in St Andrews if it goes ahead. smile

MawBe Wed 09-Jun-21 20:31:03

I too am wishing I was nearer- I’m a bit nearer than Charleygirl but only by about 50 miles! But how much I would like to revisit my Alma Mater where Paw and I met and then married in the university chapel 51 years ago. ❤️
Have a lovely time all of you!

Elizabeth1 Thu 10-Jun-21 10:58:59

I’ve four names showing an interest in lunch at st Andrews anyone else? Look up the Criterion.

Grammaretto Thu 10-Jun-21 11:25:53

I have sent you a pm smile

Elizabeth1 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:05:42

Got it Grammaretto thank you I’ve replied hope to see you soon unsure If we’ve met please pm me as a reminder

Aveline Thu 10-Jun-21 12:12:07

I was at StAndrews at the weekend. It was jam packed. The chances of a civilised lunch for a group would be virtually nil. The Criterion especially was full up as it serves alcohol from 10am. We were told to avoid it.
Getting to St Andrews poses problems for those without cars and, for those with cars, parking is a headache. I know you want to go there but is there not somewhere more easily accessible?

Chewbacca Thu 10-Jun-21 12:31:34

Aveline I'm getting the impression you're not terribly enthusiastic or supportive of Elizabeth's planned meet up. Do you not think she has taken the time to research the viability of the area/venue/time/date? And it won't affect you anyway will it as it's too late for you for you to go anyway. Elizabeth seems to be doing a grand job setting it up and those who've confirmed they'll attend seem quite happy. smile

Aveline Thu 10-Jun-21 12:56:33

Chewbacca it's because I was actually there and really saw what things were like that I posted what I did.
There are plenty of nice quieter places to go. Lots of nice garden centres and farm shops sort of thing.

Polly12 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:03:18

Good grief, do even the meet up threads have to turn into a bunfight now?! I was only thinking the other day that GN was returning to be a more pleasant place - friendly chat etc. Maybe not sad

Katek Thu 10-Jun-21 14:32:51

Whilst a meet up might be nice, St Andrews is not necessarily the best/safest place to go to at the moment. For a start it isn’t terribly accessible unless you’re driving as the nearest station is several miles away. That means having to use both train/taxi or bus which isn’t necessarily appropriate. St Andrews is also a major tourist venue and is usually jam packed with visitors from all over.

Perhaps an alternative venue later in the year might be more suitable.

Kalu Thu 10-Jun-21 14:50:19

St Andrews is always busy as many of us who go there regularly are aware of.

Elizabeth and all who attend, have a great meet up.

Elegran Thu 10-Jun-21 15:10:09

It is also always usually windy and wet! It is at Latitude 56 (almost as far north of London (51) as London is north of Milan 45.5 ) It faces East onto the North Sea, and its prevailing weather is blown from Scandinavia across hundreds of miles of chilly water. It is not for elitism that the students there wear warm red cloaks at all times!

Polly12 Thu 10-Jun-21 15:33:27

One would imagine that the OP knows quite a bit about the area if she is suggesting a meet up there? Cut the woman’s bit of slack?!