Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Sussex meet-up? Let's make it happen!

(31 Posts)
NannaAnna Fri 04-Oct-13 21:00:10

As the editor of both Gransnet Local Worthing local.gransnet.com/worthing and Gransnet Local Brighton & Hove local.gransnet.com/brighton-hove I have managed to arrange a couple of coffee mornings with a couple of Gransnetters, but I would love to find out how many of us there are down here in Sussex, and, more relevantly, how many of us are interested in a meet-up. We don't seem to have the same concentration of Gransnetters as there are in other parts of the country ... or do we??
I'd like to know where you are, what sort of meet-up you'd be interested in (morning coffee/lunch/afternoon tea/evening meal... something else?) and which town(s) in Sussex you would suggest for a meet-up.
Let's see if we can arrange a pre-Christmas event!

* I will post this on both my local forums (and maybe even the editor-less ones!!) and take it upon myself to monitor and copy responses from one to the other, so that whichever one you are posting on, you will have all the other replies available too) ... She says optimistically

NB: Wayfinder is my Local GN username. On the main site I'm NannaAnna

NannaAnna Sun 06-Oct-13 13:19:25

Giving this a bump.
Anyone at all in Sussex?

Brendawymms Sun 06-Oct-13 15:57:01

Hello I'm in East Sussex. About 16 miles from Eastbourne, Lewes and Hastings. Meeting up in Lewes is best for me, Brighton and Worthing being difficult to park I think and a bit far.

NannaAnna Sun 06-Oct-13 16:23:39

Hi Brendawymms smile
OK, one suggestion for Lewes. We could go to the original 'Bill's'. Love it there!
Any more suggestions from Sussex Gransnetters - any area?
I edit both the Brighton & Hove site and the Worthing one, so 2 different areas are an option if we are spread across the counties!

NannaAnna Sun 06-Oct-13 23:54:21

A late night bump as I've tried lunchtime and evening ... where are the Sussex Gransnetters? Do we have any?

NannaAnna Mon 07-Oct-13 11:02:50

OK, and now a mid-morning bump!
Are Sussex Gransnetters just too busy for meet-ups, or are we all solitary souls down here on the south coast??
Just let me know, ladies grin

PRINTMISS Mon 07-Oct-13 15:13:33

You must know I am a Sussex Gransnetter, but unfortunately I do not drive, and public transport is available but variable. Thought you might like to hear this - yesterday at Amberley Museum, I was talking to a couple of visitors who had just moved to Storrington from North London, and they were almost in awe of the beauty of Sussex, said they had no idea before they moved what a lovely county it is. I have always said that but it is nice to know someone else feels they same. They looked in to see us on their way out of the Museum (ours was their first port of call, to print some things for their grand-children who were staying with them), and said how much they had enjoyed their visit and would be coming again without the children.

NannaAnna Mon 07-Oct-13 20:55:43

Hello PRINTMISS Yes, we have conversed before smile, and I was aware that travel was an issue for you.
Sussex is such a beautiful county (or 2 counties, as it became a few decades ago) and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the UK. Lovely to hear stories of other people 'discovering'.
It does seem Gransnetters are a bit thin on the ground down here though. I only know of a handful. Maybe my attempts at organising get-togethers are not going to get beyond the 2 or 3 attendee stage that I've had for coffee mornings so far [hmmm]

NannaAnna Tue 08-Oct-13 13:30:02

Hello again Sussex Gransnetters. I really would love to know if anyone down here in beautiful sunny Sussex is interested in meeting up with other Gransnetters?
Any suggestions welcome, and any location. As I've mentioned before, I edit both Worthing local.gransnet.com/worthing and Brighton & Hove local.gransnet.com/brighton-hove. I also know Sussex really well, having lived in several places, so all ideas are welcome.
Perhaps there's an event you'd like to go to? Let me know smile Anna.

annsixty Tue 08-Oct-13 15:52:01

Hi PRINTMISS I was lurking on threads I don't normally read and saw your mention of Storrington. My DD and family live there and I have told her about Amberley Museum and your particular interest and involvment. She will check opening times and events for half-term and hopes to visit.She thinks 14yr old may have "better things to do", polite speak for not going out with Mum but 11yr old will be keen, and ,yes, it really is a lovely county.

PRINTMISS Wed 09-Oct-13 08:32:22

Thanks for that annsixty I do hope my enthusiasm lives up to expectations. I haven't done Wednesdays - the special half term days for children - but I do know the Museum gets very busy on those days, and we receive a weekly update on activities throughout the Museum so we are kept in touch with what is going on. Perhaps if they go, you could give me some feed-back? Thank you.

NannaAnna Wed 09-Oct-13 20:27:12

... and bringing this back on track ... wink ...
Do I conclude that Sussex Gransnetters are not interested in meeting up?

yogagran Wed 09-Oct-13 20:36:02

I'm between Horsham and Brighton. Like brendawymms I find Brighton difficult for parking (always use my bus pass if I need to get into Brighton). Could easily do Lewes, Haywards Heath or around that area

annsixty Wed 09-Oct-13 20:55:29

Nanna Anna sorry I'll go back on the naughty step. I have been sent there before!!

NannaAnna Wed 09-Oct-13 22:56:40

Hi yogagran Lovely to hear from you smile I will keep on plugging away and hopefully in time a few more Sussex Gransnetters will appear and we will have enough to make a meet up viable.
I do think membership is thinner on the ground down here than in some parts of the country.

NannaAnna Wed 09-Oct-13 22:58:02

annsixty No worries - you can get up off the naughty step. Meandering on threads is quite common wink

Brendawymms Thu 10-Oct-13 17:32:56

Yes Lewes or Hayward's Heath works for me.

Sheridan Thu 10-Oct-13 17:50:37

As a newbie to this site would love to meet up with other grans in area, agree Brighton is a no no from the parking point of view, but haywards Heath would be ideal, and their are plenty of coffee shops to choose from.

NannaAnna Fri 11-Oct-13 00:52:34

Hello Sheridan Lovely to hear from you smile
So we seem to be moving towards Haywards Heath at the moment.
Are there a selection of coffee shops now? I moved away fro HH in 2009 and back then there was a Costa, a Starbucks in Sainsburys, and The Bay Tree. What's available now?

ItsOnlyNan Fri 11-Oct-13 17:13:15

Hi NannaAnna
Not great at travelling and am one of the few who managed the Worthing coffee mornings, but let me know where and when and I will try to join you smile

NannaAnna Fri 11-Oct-13 20:41:14

Hi ItsOnlyNan I'm sure we can sort something. I would probably drive if it was Haywards Heath or Lewes, so we could go together if that helps. I would try to organise another Worthing coffee morning if there was any indication that there was enough interest, but it does seem that Gransnetters are thin on the ground down our way, hence the attempt at making it county-wide. If anyone wants to prove me wrong that would be great grin
How is the 'Hook, Knit, Sip' group going? I still haven't managed to get along, although my intentions are good. (Thinks still a bit chaotic but improving for now)

Anncdw Tue 26-Nov-13 00:52:25

Hi, I am in Heathfield , with a car so could meet up in Lewes, Hayward's Heath, anywhere around there ! I am new to the area so it would be good to meet people !

NannaAnna Wed 27-Nov-13 00:49:09

Hi Anncdw I need to bring all these Sussex meet-up threads together in one new one, but for the meantime, I have posted on the other old one that seems to have been resuscitated (and with a link to the more current one - even though that's now a few months old too!)
Here you go:
www.gransnet.com/forums/meetups/1198345-Hello-Sussex

bluekarma Fri 20-Dec-13 21:32:46

Hi. I'd like to follow what you are all up to please. I love in London but hoping to move to Sussex next year. I hope that's ok Just new to this site.
thanks

Soutra Fri 20-Dec-13 21:40:17

Just as well I don't live in Sussex Bluekarma you amd me together Bluekarma Soutra tchblush!!