Gransnet forums

Menopause

Stopping HRT - Positive stories??

(34 Posts)
maxgran Tue 05-Jan-16 12:55:47

I have been on HRT for 10 years, so as I am 61 the GP has told me to stop taking it. I only took one tablet every two days after a previous attempt to reduce it.
The GP says that there is no point in weaning off - you just stop it!
He gave me a prescription for some anti depressant and a drug to help with hot flushes because he said these will come back, but I have not started taking them after reading their side effects etc. ( don't see the point unless I get the symptoms he says I MAY get)

I have been off HRT for just 6 days and I am fine at the moment.
I am seeing the GP again at the end of January and am a bit nervous about telling him I have not taken the other drugs he prescribed.

Has ANYBODY got any positive experience of coming off HRT? Everything I read is scaring me! Am I doomed to get depressed and have hot flushes?

Liz46 Tue 05-Jan-16 13:01:17

I have been on patches for well over 20 years and every time I try to stop my life (and my husband's) is an absolute misery. Sorry, nothing positive from me but I hope you go on o.k. and I don't blame you for not wanting to take the other drugs.

tanith Tue 05-Jan-16 13:20:29

I was on them for 10yrs and stopped when I had a major surgery (I think there was a big scare on about them at that time) the only symptom that came back were the flushes but they were much less intense and mostly daytime ones which I dealt with fine.. no mood swings or anything but of course everyone is different, unless you do it you'll never know . I don't see why the doctor would say anything about you not taking anti-depressants if you don't feel you need them, thats a good thing isn't it?

Its not 10yrs later and I'm 67 still get the odd daytime flush but its nothing I worry about .

tanith Tue 05-Jan-16 13:21:27

That should be 'its now 10yrs later'.

loopylou Tue 05-Jan-16 13:26:27

I stopped HRT five or six years ago and apart from the odd hot flush at night I haven't had any problems whatsoever.
I was taking Premarin since I had a hysterectomy (age 33), so I had been on them for 25 years?

maxgran Tue 05-Jan-16 13:27:55

Thanks tanith
I didn't realise when the doctor said he could give me drugs that would help, that one was an antidpressant, so I readily accepted them. It was only when I read the leaflet that I thought, god, no,....I don't want these unless I really need them!
The GP is going to think I am mad,..but to be honest I think he is a bit mad to want me to take drugs unless they are needed.
I was on antidepressants in my early 30s and it took me a long time to get back to 'normal' after those.

I wanted some positive stories because everything I have read has been so negative.

Crafting Tue 05-Jan-16 17:47:57

maxgran the antidepressants also work to control (or try to) hot flushes. If you're not getting any then I wouldn't worry about not taking them. If on the other hand they do start you may well need to take them as I do. I find it helps a bit . Doesn't stop them completely but does make them not as bad as they were. Hope you get on ok.

maxgran Tue 05-Jan-16 19:20:28

Thanks Crafting the doctor gave me two different drugs. One was anti depressant and the other one was for flushes, although he said they don't work for everyone. Apparently, they take 3 weeks before they work properly so that is why I was supposed to start them before I stopped the hrt.
If I do get any bad symptoms I will take them. Just think I should not take anything unless needed. I worry too much about stuff like this!

Irene2108 Tue 05-Jan-16 19:21:28

Hi Maxgran
I am 60 and have been on HRT for 10 years due to drenching hot flushes, as many as 30 a day. Absolutely unbearable! HRT sorted me out brilliantly.
About 5 years in, a doctor made me come off it. I thought I would give it a try and after 3 weeks I was back at the doctors demanding to be put back on it. I know many people sail through the menopause and although I didn't have many other symptoms, the flushes were so debilitating. So another 5 years then recently I had to go for a check up for my prescription, I saw a lady doctor who was totally unsympathetic even though I have perfect health and no family history of anything.
I was almost in tears when she said I couldn't have it anymore. I insisted I could not just come off it overnight and needed time to adjust mentally and physically. Begrudgingly she gave me 3 months and I had the intention of buying it online if necessary. Anyway...... I thought I would stop it for a while to see how it went and unbelievably, I have been quite ok. I do get a night sweat and a few mild flushes in the day but nothing else. No mood swings or depression. If it stays like this I believe I can do it!
Hopefully you will be ok too, stay with it for a while and let us know how you get onsmile

maxgran Wed 06-Jan-16 08:52:17

That is very reassuring Irene2108 Thank you.
I don't mind if I get a few flushes and I know it may affect my mood etc. I am prepared for that.
Its just that I have read so many stories of it being horrendous. I suppose people who don't have a bad time don't go onto forums and talk about it as much as people who struggle?
Well,..its been 7 days now and I am ok at the moment! grin

Greyduster Wed 06-Jan-16 12:19:07

Like some here, i was on HRT for ten years before the doctor suggested it was time to stop taking it. No weaning off. I honestly don't recall there being any particular side effects to giving it up. I certainly didn't go back to being the horrible semi-deranged person that the menopause made me into - HRT gave me my life and my marriage back. But all good things must come to an end i suppose. I know what you mean about being nervous about telling your doctor you haven't taken what he has prescribed. I was prescribed a vaginal oestrogen pill recently to help with a slight prolapse. I asked the doc if there were any side effects and she simply said no. When i read the leaflet, it is a hrt drug and there are all the same sort of risks, and possibly bleeding, that you can have with hrt. I don't want to have to go through that again at seventy! So i decided, for good or ill, not to take it, but i haven't come clean yet.

maxgran Wed 06-Jan-16 13:23:23

Ha Ha Greyduster... It is like being a child scared of the teacher telling you off!
I get really annoyed with GPs because one tells you one thing and another tells you another.
One GP told me I should wean myself off HRT slowly - and then the so-called expert on menopause GP told me that its either take it or not and to come off it immediately!
The problem I have is that if I read the leaflets about side effects I worry and then imagine I have them.. confused

My daughter in law was put on Beta blockers because she gets heart palpitations. Another GP told her she shouldn't be on them and to stop taking them. Then the first GP told her she needed to go back on them. The poor girl is stressed out and doesn't know what to do.
It would help if we could always see the same GP but those days are gone where we live.

Eloethan Wed 06-Jan-16 18:43:47

I don't think it can be healthy for women to continue HRT when they are a long way past the average age of the menopause. If using HRT means that symptoms are alleviated but will re-emerge at a much later age, I can't see the point of taking it in the first place. I think it's more likely that any unwelcome effects of ceasing HRT will subside over time.

A neighbour of mine, who is I think 69, was told by our GP that he would no longer prescribe HRT. She kicked up so much fuss, threatening to complain to all and sundry, that he didn't carry this through. I don't think it is right that a patient - who often has limited medical knowledge - should be able to override a doctor's opinion in this way.

People whose bodies have become habituated to any sort of substance may well experience disturbing side effects when they cease taking it. But we don't say "You'll feel really awful if you stop drinking/smoking, etc., so you'd better carry on".

maxgran Wed 06-Jan-16 19:16:17

If using HRT means that symptoms are alleviated but will re-emerge at a much later age, I can't see the point of taking it in the first place

I wish now that I had persevered years ago and not gone on hrt but my doctor did explain that there are real benefits for a few years but he said the risks outweigh the benefits after age 60.

Cambia Sun 10-Jan-16 21:09:53

I had HRT on and off from 50 to 60 but stopped a year ago as my doctor said five years was really the limit as there is the link to breast cancer. At the same time I was prescribed a mild anti depressant as I really was struggling with IBS. I had previously refused the anti depressant as I wasn't depressed! A year on, the IBS is so much better, as the anti depressant seems to relax the gut and stop the spasms. I do suffer from hot flushes but I think these are beginning to get slightly better. I am due for a review in March and will stop the AD's then for a while to see if I can manage without. I don't have the mood swings that originally sent me for HRT though.

glassortwo Sun 10-Jan-16 21:34:04

max I weaned myself off HRT last year after being on since I was approx. 45, (almost 60 now).

I have had some flushes and I am feeling weary and have joint ache but I cant make my mind up if its the HRT or having full time care for a not quite 2yr old ,7 and 9 yr old DGC and running a household of 7 with no help.

I have had some depression but have put that down to the horrendous year I have had.

I find that I am also having difficulty finding words again, which was one of the main reasons I re-started taking HRT as I couldn't function at work, but being at home with the DGC that's not such a big worry, only when conversing with adults do I look like a absent minded old biddy.

But I seem to have come through the other end almost intact and maybe its for the best that its over and done with, and I couldn't have functioned without the help of HRT.

So I feel it has been a positive experience as my withdrawl symptoms have not been anything like my initial symptoms.

maxgran Tue 12-Jan-16 13:10:38

Cambia and glassortwo Thanks.

I have had joint and muscle aches even whilst on HRT. I know it could be easy to blame everything on either being on or off the HRT.

Its been about 12 days now without HRT and although at first I was a bit down ( because I was worrying probably!) I have been ok since.
I have noticed some hot flushing in the evenings but nothing too bad.

It is early days yet so I know it could get worse but I have decided to stop dwelling on the negatives all the time. No point in worrying about stuff that may never happen.
My main stress is I may lose my job soon and the prospect of finding another at my age is not going to be easy. Thanks to Pension changes, I have to work until 65 and 3 months! I have had my retirement date changed twice!
None of this helps when I am trying to cope with no HRT amongst other things sad

lonniefrances Tue 12-Jan-16 15:34:30

I had an early menopause after an emergency hysterectomy when I was 40. Took HRT for a year or so and then stopped with doctors agreement. No problems at all and I am now 65, so you, like me could well be one of the lucky ones. I hope all goes positively for you.

maxgran Thu 28-Jan-16 13:04:58

Well, it has been 29 days since I last took my HRT.
I am having a few hot flushes, especially at night before I go to bed and whilst trying to get to sleep!
I have also had a few palpitations and panicky feelings but they don't last long.
I am hoping they don't get worse and it all settles down. I was supposed to see the doctor last week but he was off ill so am going on Friday.
I really do not want to take the anti depressant sad

NotTooOld Thu 28-Jan-16 19:20:17

I was on HRT for many years, must have been 10 or 15. Then there was a scare on and I decided to stop taking them. I was already 'forgetting' to take them some days, so I just stopped. I noticed no difference at all. If you don't want to take the anti-depressants, I would just not take them. You can always start on them if you find you need them. Your GP will understand if you prefer not to have them, don't feel you have to apologise.

maxgran Sat 30-Jan-16 16:18:31

Saw the GP yesterday. He frowned when I told him I hadn't taken the anti depressants but I explained why and he said if I am coping after this long then I should be ok.
He was very nice and accepted that I would know if I got to the point I needed any meds.
Thanks for the input everybody x

Cambia Fri 05-Feb-16 11:35:53

I came off HRT a year ago as I was 60 but have had terrible aches and pains which I never had before. Lots of hot flushes and restless nights. I am fit and active and after a well woman test found me very low risk of vascular disease, I went back to the doctor yesterday and asked to try HRT for another year just to see if I improved. I was expecting to have to insist but she was very well informed and said that the latest research now shows that some women with low oestrogen problems are better off actually staying on a low dosage HRT for long term. Research obviously keeps changing but I think you know your own body and your needs at 60 better than anyone else! I was so relieved I didn't have to push though!

jogginggirl Fri 05-Feb-16 11:43:36

I took HRT for ten years - with a break midway. I still get the occasional hot flush and don't sleep well (but I think that's down to other concerns)

I've upped my exercise as well - both cardio and strength... I tell myself it helps hmm

My hair is a lot thinner finer and I've had to change skin care because it has become old and wrinkly much drier - but I'm guessing that's just down to old age ?

Esspee Sat 13-Feb-16 19:34:19

Eloethan,
Your neighbour has a right to decide for herself whether she should continue with her HRT. I am assuming she is intelligent enough to weigh any risks against the benefits. Clearly she is articulate enough to get the GP to back off.
The menopause clinic I attend had a period where they couldn't obtain the implants and the nurses who were around at that time still tell new staff how bolshy we all got when told there were none to be had. There was almost a riot!
We are a very assertive group of ladies and all of us intend to continue on our HRT for ever. Quality of life is everything.

Cambia Sun 14-Feb-16 19:11:55

Nearly two weeks back on the HRT and am feeling so much better already. This is the first day I haven't had hot flushes and my aches and pains are improving so much. Think I am probably suited to staying on it rather than off it! Ass Esspee says quality of life is everything.