Gransnet forums

Menopause

Herbal vs Hrt

(68 Posts)
LesleyAnne54 Thu 11-May-17 14:05:39

I have just been to my doctors this morning, came out more confused. I have been having heat waves during the night, and disturbed sleep. my hubby is like a hot water bottle at times, he only has to brush against me and I freak out. I'm undersided whether to try herbal remedies or go straight onto Hrt. help and guidance needed please. I was told this morning some herbal meds can have bad side effects. thank you

paddyann Thu 11-May-17 14:35:51

I tried the "natural" remedies for years before asking for HRT,the first couple didn't help though and it was only when I had patches instead of pills that it worked for me.I feel great on it.I do see a gynaecologist and he has said I can stay on HRT for life If I want...at the moment I wouldn't consider coming off it as it has without doubt saved my marriage AND my sanity .I know its not for everyone but as my late mum and my gran both had osteoporosis and it helps guard against that too so I'm happy to stay on it

gillybob Thu 11-May-17 14:38:52

Hi LesleyAnne54 I tried every herbal treatment known to man and none made any difference to me. I suffered far longer than I needed to as it took a lot to persuade my GP to give me HRT. My mum had breast cancer at 60 (borderline) and I have other health issues too. I must say HRT is not an exact science and there can be an element of trial and error involved before you get it right. I am in the process of changing from cylical to continuous as I was (and still am) having a 7 day withdrawal bleed every month which is both draining and bloody annoying (excuse the pun). At least I am not getting those horrible night sweats and flushes all the time though.

gillybob Thu 11-May-17 14:40:28

In what way do you think the patches are better paddyann?

I read about them but the GP (reluctantly) agreed tablets but not patches.

Liz46 Thu 11-May-17 15:06:00

I tried herbal treatments every time the GP persuaded me to give up the patches and the herbal treatments did nothing for me. I have been on HRT patches for well over 20 years.

gillybob Thu 11-May-17 15:09:48

What are the benefits of patches v tablets Liz46? Just curious.

paddyann Thu 11-May-17 15:16:08

I think continuous patches deliver the hormones better ,and I dont bleed on them which is a bonus as I had awful bleeding for years.The pills didn't help with my night sweats at all ,but the patches have been brilliant.I'm on Evorel Conti Patches ,I change them twice weekly

TriciaF Thu 11-May-17 16:35:44

It also depends on what your main problem is. Mine is vaginal dryness, leading to waterworks infections. I tried non-HRT remedies, didn't work. Now have vaginal cream or pessaries.

Theoddbird Fri 12-May-17 10:02:57

A high soya content in diet helps a lot. Never had any symptoms...

Whatthehellhappened Fri 12-May-17 10:10:30

I don't care how much I suffer with the menopause, knowing how HRT is produced is enough for me to never touch it - they keep mares constantly pregnant, tied up in stalls and catherterised (sp?) to collect their hormonal urine. Foals are disposed of and the cycle begins again. I'm not telling you this in order to make any judgements but just in case anyone doesn't know and they would like to make a decision knowing this fact.

Cagsy Fri 12-May-17 10:20:51

Gosh Whatthehellhappened I didn't know that, you do live and learn. Fortunately for me my symptoms were not that severe so I managed to get through it all without medication - seems a long time ago now, thankfully.

hazel311259 Fri 12-May-17 10:23:19

Oh no didn't know about that horrendous to think I buy free range eggs yet been on her for five years!

hazel311259 Fri 12-May-17 10:24:19

Hrt

Margi Fri 12-May-17 10:25:37

I tried several HRT after a hysterectomy. In the end, my (female) doctor prescribed some Swiss patches. Probably expensive ! but great, and I never looked back. Came off them gradually, and all was well. Don't know if you would get them these days.

Deborahuns Fri 12-May-17 10:29:28

I was having twenty or more hot flushes a day but am afraid of the side effects of HRT. Now I use a herbal cream from 'wellbeing' . Google it. I started off with their regular cream and went onto the stronger one , 20-1 and it's certainly under control now TG . Worth a try for a bit. Good luck

Hm999 Fri 12-May-17 10:30:59

We are the Pill generation. Don't keeping taking something indefinitely they said. Once off the HRT I'd be older and less capable of coping with the symptoms, so I never started.

RAF Fri 12-May-17 10:35:52

It is only the Premarin group of drugs that come from pregnant mares. I use Elleste Solo HRT, which is made from plant materials. Patches are fine if you can tolerate them, they gave me dermatitis. Life without HRT is unbearable, have tried many times to wean off them, but hot flushes, dryness, dizziness, memory problems always return with a vengeance, happy to stay on for life now.

00mam00 Fri 12-May-17 10:40:13

I was put on HRT for vaginal dryness, felt fantastic on it and people couldn't believe my age. But years later when my mother died I found out that she had breast cancer in her 30s and I was told to come off the HRT. Too late, I got breast cancer that very year. Luckily it was caught early and have been free for 6 years now.

I did feel and look much older when I came off the HRT and easily tired. But I am alive and well at 70.

Ph1lomena Fri 12-May-17 10:40:20

The thought of HRT scared me with all the possible side effects/health risks. I took Red Clover which helped with my hot flushes and I didn't have any other symptoms - I have no idea whether that was the Red Clover or I wouldn't have done anyway!

Whatthehellhappened Fri 12-May-17 10:40:59

RAF that's good to know that there's an alternative smile

Grannyhug Fri 12-May-17 10:44:28

I was on HRT for about 35 years. This was stopped when I was hospitalised two years ago. During the last few months I have started getting very severe hot flushes. My doctor has put me back on HRT but on a lower dose. The flushes are ongoing and very bad. I should add that I am now 85 and find these symptoms very disturbing. Perhaps I should ask about the patches that have been discussed . Could you say what name you found so successful paddyann ?

adaunas Fri 12-May-17 10:45:19

I'm with Hm999. I didn't want to add another medication to the daily routine and fortunately, the Red Clover recommended by the hairdresser worked for me. I took it for 3 weeks and never looked back.

Lilyflower Fri 12-May-17 10:45:48

I have been on HRT for eight years and it is wonderful. There are tiny risks of a few more breast cancer cases per thousand but it also protects against other, less visible, cancers and also heart problems. The benefits include feeling more lively, energetic and 'yourself', better ability to control your figure and waistline and better conditioned hair and skin.

Prescribed drug have been tested, the doses are regulated and come with medical advice and clear instructions and notes about side effects and other concerns. Herbal remedies have none of these protections.

Also, if you are taking herbal remedies you need to inform your doctor as some can interfere with the efficacy of prescribed drugs.

SussexGirl60 Fri 12-May-17 10:57:13

Hi, I would say homeopathic (different to herbal) -you'd need to see a homeopath. I am biased as I am a homeopath but then I'm unable to take any hormonal preparations so I had to look for an alternative going through the menopause and I think I did OK without any additional hormones.. I have people come to me who regret HRT because when you come off it, you often just have to deal with the symptoms you went on it for.,. You could try herbal as well. I'd get advice from shop staff or do a bit of research before choosing anything. It does help some people. And some people find that if they alter what they eat-so to a healthier diet-it improves hot sweats and flushes-as does reducing stress-I know...easier said than done.

mysticgirlracer Fri 12-May-17 10:59:03

I tried all the herbal remedies and could not say they worked eventually went on to a low dose HRT for 3 years. The doctor did not tell me that I would get all the symptoms again when I came off HRT gradually so experienced the hot flushes, mood swings etc. again.
But saying that the Hrt really did help