Gransnet forums

Menopause

Menopause - hair loss help

(55 Posts)
henley59uk Fri 30-Jun-17 14:53:08

Hello,

My GP says that hair loss in menopause is normal occurence. I'm a bit worried about the scale of my hair loss, I'm loosing more and more hair. Do you experience the same and are there any treatments to get more volume? If it's temporary how long does it take until hair growth becomes stable again?

Regards,
Henley

Nanabilly Fri 30-Jun-17 17:44:46

I'm sure I saw a shampoo on t v that is designed to help this ..It might be the German caffeine one that have been advertising a mens shampoo for ages. Look into it you might find a product to help but meanwhile go to Holland and Barrett and ask them for some hair and nail supplement to take .hope it helps

Granof11 Fri 30-Jun-17 20:15:05

There is nothing to beat Viviscal. It is very pricey and takes anything from three months to a year before you'll notice a difference. The plus side is that you'll also have great nails.

Although the cost is prohibitive I've written it into my budget on the grounds that I don't smoke, drink, have a social life
or go on holiday. It's my reward to myself for a life of unremitting hard work.

You'll find it online and some sellers do very good offers. Good luck.

Moocow Fri 30-Jun-17 21:25:24

I'm no help as Iv'e been trying everything but mine just keeps getting thinner. Trying not to worry as don't want stress to make it worse but the menopause seems to make me worry about everything.

I've been told that dyeing your hair can help it look thicker but haven't dared try it in case it makes the condition of my frail hair worse. I've asked the hairdresser but she is too young to understand and haven't seen any older hairdressers that I could change to. Anyone have any thoughts on dyeing hair?

whitewave Sat 01-Jul-17 07:09:25

Well if it is any consolation, i am now 71 and my hair seems to have stabalised. So it is much thinner than it used to be but no longer comes out noticably.

travelsafar Sat 01-Jul-17 08:02:52

One thing i have found helps to increase 'body' is Bastise dry shampoo for volume.It somehow makes your hair feel so much thicker.But be careful how much you use, the first time i tried it i could hardly get a brush through my hair!!! It has recently been half price in Boots, so good value.

Disgruntled Sat 01-Jul-17 09:21:00

It's a pain, isn't it. I've just started to try rapeseed oil - last night I slept with a concoction of that + lavender oil + frankincense oil + rose oil (and an old towel on the pillow). Had a great night's sleep, but I've no idea whether it works. I did try a bottle of an Ayurvedic stuff but that was very expensive - about £20 for the bottle, then another £20+ for postage from India - though you only use a few drops at a time. My hair is now very short and I'm sure that helps. And it's white, haven't coloured it for years. Good luck. flowers

silverlining48 Sat 01-Jul-17 09:22:05

Henley unfortunately this is common post menopause. I have the same problem and having had thick hair previously have found it distressing. I have a hairdresser who comes to my home, she is young but does have a lot of older clients so can advise me. Perhaps see if there is anyone similar in your area. Its also a lot cheaper.
I have my hair coloured and have wondered whether this has affected it but my hairdresser says not.
I use batiste which does help give a bit of body to limp fine hair.

Howcome Sat 01-Jul-17 09:22:14

I dye mine it does help with looking "more there" and doesn't seem to weaken it. Had a brief encounter with hrt and that seemed to reverse it for the short period I indulged. Sadly it didn't suit me in other ways so we're back to natural menopause which includes the return of hair dropping out unless someone out there knows something natural that sorts it - sadly it also means stress and anxiety which seems to hasten the hair loss, lack of sleep, itchy skin, incontinence and VA. But my GP says my liver health tests trump all that and hormones are off the agenda for me - and with it appears are hair and a social or sex life!

Jaycee5 Sat 01-Jul-17 09:25:03

I went through the menopause at 44 and didn't notice hair loss (plenty of other horrendous symptoms). I started to lose hair in my mid 50s partly through stress and partly through taking loritadine and not realising early enough that hair loss is one of the side affect.
About 3 months ago I started to use Regain. I didn't have high expectations but it is definitely working, particularly where my hair was receding which has been totally reversed. I still have thinning hair behind my (also thinning) fringe but I was developing a pronounced bald spot. It takes 6 months to show full results but fine hair on my hairline could be felt after the first day.
It is not recommended for over 65s. I turned 65 mid use and I'm going to finish the can. The earlier you catch the baldness, the better it works. I wish I had used it earlier.

SussexGirl60 Sat 01-Jul-17 09:47:15

I'm a homeopath and do see people sometimes with hair loss. I wouldn't say it's a normal thing in menopause, but for a minority of people, hormonal fluctuations can lead to a thinning and also a change of texture. I think for more people, stress is a factor. There are supplements that may help-you can google it-and homeopathic remedies can help but you'd need to see a homeopath for those. I would go easy with the hair colouring as well. I hear what your hairdresser is saying but you are putting a lot of chemicals on it which can only weaken it over time.(I know....it's not what we want to hear is it...wish I had the nerve to just be grey but my hairs long and maybe it's a step too far!?)

Victoria08 Sat 01-Jul-17 09:49:43

I am72 years old and my hair comes out loads, but only when I wash it.

I sometimes think I must be going bald judging by the amount I pull out if the plug hole. Also after blow drying my hair, there seems to be loads.

I also dye my hair, but not sure if that's the reason I am losing it.

I have always had thin hair. I think that as we age, hair does thin out.

lilihu Sat 01-Jul-17 10:02:30

I just had a look at Lloyds online pharmacy. They have a "Hair Loss" section which includes around 88 different products, some are especially for women. A couple of products have been mentioned on here. It may be worth spending time researching some of these. Some are very pricey but if they have a positive effect could be well worth it.
www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/medicines-and-treatments/hair-loss#facet:&orderBy:&pageSize:12&productBeginIndex:24&beginIndex:24&pageView:grid

LouLou21 Sat 01-Jul-17 10:23:05

Jacee5, why is it not recommended for over 65s ?

gillybob Sat 01-Jul-17 10:36:03

I am 55 and my hair is getting thinner and thinner on top . I can imagine that there will be very little left in five years time. My GP says it's something i will have to live with and there is no miracle cure . sad but I don't think she gets the emotional impact hairloss can have on a woman. I am constantly stressed and upset about it and have almost no social life, I feel like some kind of misfit. I avoid mirrors like the plague ( always have mind you) . I did do sone research into a hair system but very expensive to maintain and sadly out if my budget .

SillyNanny321 Sat 01-Jul-17 10:43:24

My hairdresser told me to try Plantur 39 advertised on tv. Seems to work though i do lose a lot of hair when washing it.
My hair loss was caused by some capsules given by my doctor for reflux. One of the side effects is hair loss. They also put me in Hospital for two weeks last year as affected my kidneys badly.
Stopping them has not reversed the hair loss sadly. Think I will just have to buy a decent wig Lol!!

Caramac Sat 01-Jul-17 10:45:17

My daughter has a hair salon and advised Nioxin products (available at some salons and online). I found the shampoo and conditioner effective for a long time but then my hair started coming out in large amounts and also receding. I then used a different Nioxin overnight treatment which literally stopped the hair loss with immediate effect. Sadly I believe it has been taken off the market but fortunately for me I no longer need it.

mazza245 Sat 01-Jul-17 11:07:42

I have this problem as well. Some of you may remember that my hairdresser (of over 20 years) must have forgotten that I'm on oral chemotherapy and was shocked one day at how thin my hair had gone! It really upset me as he asked when I would stop taking it and I had to say I won't, I'll be taking it for ever or I'll die!

So with the menopause, the chemo, the colouring which I won't give up, I haven't much of a chance! My hairdresser felt so sorry for how upset I was that he gave me a bottle of Serioxin shampoo. I may be imagining it but it doesn't seem so thin on top as it did. He also dyed a line of hair which he's going to give me to attach round my head to help disguise the worst of it, that's the theory anyway but I can't imagine how it's going to work!

MagicBubble Sat 01-Jul-17 11:34:21

I believe that hair loss is hormonal
- so shampoos only tickle the problem

Here are 2 places that may help you:

www.hairlossconsultant.co.uk/
www.mariongluckclinic.com/

Marion Gluck has written a book:
It Must Be My Hormones

I have a friend who went to the Marion Gluck clinic for a different reason and they worked wonders with her libido !

patriciageegee Sat 01-Jul-17 12:09:45

I used to take Hrt in my late 40's but stopped because of cancer concerns of taking it for over 10 years. My hair is now really thin on top and, doing some recent research on lack of oestrogen in menopause, i've found information that it affects the gums causing shrinkage and tooth loss and there are links to impaired glucose function and heart disease all of which I am now suffering​. I'm going to go back to my GP armed with evidence and demand to at least try Hrt again. In the meantime thanks to other posters for their suggestions.

Jaycee5 Sat 01-Jul-17 12:11:29

Jaycee I bought it in Boots and the women in the shop went through all the side effects with me because it is such an expensive purchase. She said it was because of hormone changes at that age. The leaflet just says not recommended for over 65s. It must vary from person to person.

JanaNana Sat 01-Jul-17 12:15:35

Try using Dove Pro Age shampoo...£1 in Poundland...and similar bargain shops. It is a lightweight formula so lifts from the roots without heaviness. I use this all the time now ..no conditioner either. I also take cod liver oil capsule daily as well. If I colour it now it is only with a lasts up to 24 shampoos (nice and easy) as does not have either ammonia or peroxide and think my hair has become much better since the.

patriciageegee Sat 01-Jul-17 12:34:49

And many thanks to MagicBubble for the above info and links.

sluttygran Sat 01-Jul-17 12:44:49

Sadly it is normal to experience some hair loss as we age, but it's always worth having a blood test at your GP to make sure that iron deficiency or thyroid problems aren't to blame.
I'm lucky enough to have an older hairdresser who is most sympathetic. She recommends a short haircut if you can get away with it, shampoo no more than twice weekly, and avoid after-shampoo conditioners which she believes suffocate the scalp. She told me to use argan oil liberally on my damp hair instead.
I am also taking vitamin B complex and cod liver oil.
I must say I see a huge improvement in thickness and condition of my hair, and my itchy scalp is cured.
I don't know if this will work for everyone, but harmless and worth a try! smile

Jaycee5 Sat 01-Jul-17 13:29:49

LouLou21 My last comment should have been addressed to you rather than to myself! It comes to something when you start talking to yourself on social media.