Gransnet forums

Menopause

No sleep with having night sweats

(68 Posts)
Coll66 Tue 16-Jan-18 04:05:42

Hi guys I hope someone could answer a few questions for me I am going through the menopause and am having night sweats that are driving me up the walls. I work night shifts but when I have a night off and am in my bed I'm lucky if I get a full hours sleep at anyone time . I spoke with my doctor and she has said I can go on the HRT which I'm reluctant to do because of some of the risks ie weight gain because I have worked so hard to lose 5 stone so far and don't want to put it back on. At times I feel like I'm falling apart at the seams because of the aches and pains I have. I know I'm not over the hill yet I'm only 51 but some days I feel more like 91 any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks Colleen.

Breda Tue 16-Jan-18 18:03:58

Should have said meds prescribed for the BP not BO! I still suffer from hot flushes and have experienced real problems with loss of focus and huge issues around anxiety and self confidence. I have never had mood swings though thank goodness!

Coll66 Tue 16-Jan-18 18:13:00

My word thank you so much everyone for your advice I will give your suggestions a go I use a fan by my bed already cobweb01 and it's on and off all night . I just don't understand why it takes for some maybe years to get through this my own mother went through this for about 15 years and she was hard to live with I can tell you. My poor dad got the blunt of her moods. So by no means am I putting my family through that. I have black cohosh and will give this ago for about 5 weeks but if not will then try the HRT so once again thank you

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 18:13:49

My medication gives me hot flushes and night sweats. It's just like pure water though , never smells . I wake up shivering sometimes if the covers are off. Not nice. I hate it !

Coll66 Tue 16-Jan-18 18:16:07

Thank you meg I will check this out ☺

paddyann Tue 16-Jan-18 18:21:07

Breda HRT doesn't get the bad reputation it once did and I know a lot of people who are on it longterm.My MIL used it until her late 70's and she's as fit as a flea at almost 83.My own mother didn't have any symptoms her periods just stopped when she was 42 and never came back but she had osteoporosis from her 50's and broke bones reglarly,something I dont want to happen to me,it made her life a misery.The gynaecologist I see says the risks of Breast cancer is minimal and I'm prepared to take that risk as there is no history in my family .You have to do what YOU think is best for you.And dont let anyone make you feel a failure or a cheat because you needed help to get thhrough the menopause .Yes every woman does have to go through it but sadly some have horrendous symptoms and without HRT would have no life at all .Its great that some women dont need help...but some do and theres absolutely no shame in that ..despite how some pontificate

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 18:24:14

Well put paddyann

Coll66 Tue 16-Jan-18 18:24:22

GabriellaG I think it's easier during the day as when your going to bed you haven't eaten as much food through the night well not the amount you would during the day so maybe that is why just a suggestion I usually only have fruit and yogurt at night. ☺

GabriellaG Tue 16-Jan-18 18:54:03

Thank you COLL66
I can see now why it would work that way. ☺

TellNo1Ok Tue 16-Jan-18 19:47:58

I was on HRT for over 15 years whilst i was still working... and all my symptoms ... including crippling headaches ...were kept at bay. I felt just ordinary...

Tried all manner of "natural" treatments... waste of time money and energy..

I didn't put on weight but i was careful.

Just before i retired i needed an hysterectomy and was encouraged to continue with HRT... came off in my late 60's when i retired ... utterly symptomless .
Really believe HRT enabled me to continue working and work effectively before retirement...

I completely recommend..

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 19:54:09

Can I ask ... if someone has had a partial hysterectomy, is hrt still an option. ? I was told that because I still had my ovaries I would not benefit.

Gaggi3 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:57:41

Took HRT for ages, starting originally because I had had a lot of steroids and was in danger of bone thinning, and absolutely loved it. Was devastated when I had to stop due to breast cancer. Have had hot flushes, joint aches and developed thinning hair. If medical thinking changed about oestrogen and breast cancer I'd start it again tomorrow.

Gaggi3 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:58:23

PS I'm 74.

dragonfly46 Wed 17-Jan-18 09:48:03

I was on HRT for 5 years and it was just like the sun coming out. I put the weight on when I came off it not while I was on it. Also I slept better and felt much more active. I came off it after 5 years as I had my gall bladder out and I was 55 so thought the time was right. But I can thoroughly recommend it.

Esspee Mon 22-Jan-18 22:16:51

When I had my hysterectomy my doctor inserted an oestrogen implant and within 24 hours I was feeling better than I had in years. It's now 29 years later and I am still on HRT. I don't intend to give it up as my quality of life is so superior thanks to that little pellet of oestrogen that I get twice a year. In your place I would grab the opportunity to get my life back. Weight gain is caused by eating more calories than you burn off. HRT isn't going to affect your weight unless you eat more and with all your renewed energy when you are back to your old self you should be burning more calories, not less. Why not try it?
I would advise any transdermal method (patches, gel, implants etc.). Don't take pills as they have to be a much higher dose as it has to pass through the liver first.
Your symptoms are caused by lack of oestrogen, replacing it is the natural way to return to normal.

Esspee Mon 22-Jan-18 22:22:30

Nanny Tee, your ovaries may continue to produce oestrogen after removal of your womb but sooner or later you will hit menopause then HRT (oestrogen only) will be a godsend.

Esspee Mon 22-Jan-18 22:35:56

Gillybob, do read the NICE guidelines on the menopause (just google it). It is the NHS guide on best practice which is supposed to be used by doctors. Some doctors are resistant to change. Being well informed is empowering.

GlamM Fri 09-Feb-18 10:27:03

I've been menopausal for many years , since my late 20's it peaked when I was mid 40's - finally at 46 I decided that I wasn't supposed to almost lose my mind by braving it out.

Due to a family history I am not able to take HRT however my doctor prescribed Citalapram, 20 mg and I now have a flush maybe every few weeks. They are an anti depressant but the side effects mean for the first time in many years I don't have to worry about swimming in my sleep.

Herbal remedies may also work for you, have a chat with a female doctor and get all the options.

Good luck