Gransnet forums

Menopause

Sex after menopause

(111 Posts)
Mollyplop Sun 19-Aug-18 17:42:09

Hi i hope this ok to post, but I'm sure it will be removed if not! I had my last period about 3 years ago (I'm nearly 54). It seems to be something I can't discuss with my girlfriends but intercourse is now extremely painful to the point of being impossible. I have tried vaginal moisturiser but I don't think that the issue. It's as though things have "narrowed". It's like a taboo subject as if nobody is meant to have sex after 50! I'm experiencing a bout of depression at the moment so my libido is low but my OH and I have a loving relationship and is hate to think that it's over at such an early age. Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be most welcome.

Menopaws Tue 21-Aug-18 04:25:18

You could sell it along with the Jesus fluid mentioned a few weeks ago!

seacliff Tue 21-Aug-18 06:06:54

Don't mention Bonjela.... Oh no, that's those naughty Mumsnetters!

Venus Tue 21-Aug-18 09:51:17

Vagifem vaginal tablets may help, plus a vaginal jel that can be inserted before intercourse that you can buy in any chemist. Having been on HRT for many years, I have been advised not to continue. I have got urinary infections because of the dryness but this is the best advice I have to offer.

Speldnan Tue 21-Aug-18 10:03:18

I’m 68 with a partner 13 years younger with a high libido. Therefore quite a bit of sex. No HRT with menopause but now use the ‘vatican’ pessaries for dryness. My trouble is with low libido, it’s disappointing after having a high one for most of my life up until post menopause. My ex husband wasn’t that interested so it’s a shame that I’m not now that I have a partner who is! Hey ho..

pen50 Tue 21-Aug-18 10:06:17

I use Vagifem too, but as a tiny pill inserted twice a week at night with an applicator thingie. Works perfectly. Only downside is a small amount of discharge next day from the melting of the pill - I use a washable pantyliner. Your doctor will be quite used to this and TBH you still need to have internal examinations at your age for cervical cancer anyway. So pull up your Big Girl Pants and get to the GP pronto!

lovebooks Tue 21-Aug-18 10:19:27

I was on HRT for over twenty years. Very few problems, and it was the most creatively productive time of my life. I then got breast cancer - an unusual one and not oestrogen-related - but I was still taken off it. Since then, my health hasn't been great. I also have osteoporosis, inherited from my mum - the main reason for opting for HRT in the first place as it's a great bone conserver. Since I lost my husband five years ago, my health has really gone downhill, and I know that's grief-related, but I'd love to try the smallest dose of HRT again.
Oh, and I LOVED Vatican cream - a whole new and profitable brand there smile

Mollyplop Tue 21-Aug-18 10:20:38

Thank you everyone for the advice and giggles (Vatican!). I can't take hrt but will try vagifem pesseries. If that fails then we will just have to be more creative! Fortunately my hubby is lovely and very understanding. I think it bothers me more angry

Nanny27 Tue 21-Aug-18 10:24:31

flexiblefriend please can you explain atrophy. I'm not sure what it is.

Ilovedragonflies Tue 21-Aug-18 10:32:14

Vagifem is a miracle worker (and also allows for smears to be taken practically painlessly - without it, it is impossible and is why I was prescribed it!)

dragonfly46 Tue 21-Aug-18 10:33:09

I was given Vagifem by my doctor but when I went for a repeat they told me they did not recommend it on a regular basis as it is oestrogen based and could lead to breast cancer.

marionk Tue 21-Aug-18 10:39:14

My gp calls it vaginal atrophy (marvellous!!) and I have topical hrt pessaries which I insert once a week to combat this

Carolpaint Tue 21-Aug-18 10:49:40

Vagifem 10 microgram pessaries are the size of a grain of rice, a tiny applicator releases one into your vagina. You only have to insert twice weekly. At 74 am able to enjoy an active sex life, so as for sex being over at 50, this is nonsense. Vaginal atrophy is the same as any atrophy, it shrinks, withers, the expression use it or lose it is worth pondering. Do not understand the posting about 'discharge' it is just the natural lubrication as it used to be.

Retired65 Tue 21-Aug-18 11:14:20

My husband, who is 63 and younger than me, I am 67 has no interest at all, finished over 17 years ago partly I think because I have a very loose vagina caused by damage when I had my first child. I do try to give him a hug in bed but he doesn't respond. I feel very sad, we are like brother and sister now.

grandmaz Tue 21-Aug-18 11:15:29

Vatican cream is one of the best things I've read about on these great forums! I shan't be able to look my doctor in the face when I next see her as we are bound to discuss it.. she is young enough to be my grandaughter and is VERY serious! Thank you Gransnet for totally livening up my Tuesday morning! I shall be giggling all day...grin

phantom12 Tue 21-Aug-18 11:26:52

I felt as if someone flicked a switch when I turned 50. I wasn't allowed HRT because of high blood pressure. My doctor gave me Ovestin cream which I find helps a little. It's a shame that in your fertile years you can be put off by the worry of pregnancy. Once all that is over and you should be able to enjoy yourself you no longer feel like it. I don't think that many men understand quite what we are going through and what the problem is.

Hildagard Tue 21-Aug-18 11:35:13

Thanks everyone for the giggles. When I saw the thread sex over 50 I thought it maybe 50 times? oops I thought I have been naughty. Keep the laughter coming

EmilyHarburn Tue 21-Aug-18 11:57:08

Your GP will prescribe some hormone pessaries. They work after a week and then you and keep topping up. Also using a vibrator is helpful. Exercises the muscles and gets yo aroused. Ann Summers has a pink one that looks like a lipstick and costs £10.

jocork Tue 21-Aug-18 12:18:51

Phoenix - I love Tom Lehrer - hadn't heard him for years. I need a trip down memory lane now!

Stella14 Tue 21-Aug-18 12:25:36

There are oestrogen pessaries. They just have the hormone work directly on the genitals, cervix and uterus. They are are usually used every night for two weeks, then twice a week thereafter. You don’t have to suffer with this problem. Just go and discuss it with your GP.

Fennel Tue 21-Aug-18 12:29:53

Hildagard - that's funny smile.
Reminds me of another joke.
2 grans talking -'Our daughter is expecting triplets. Evidently it's a one in a million chance.'
Long pause.
The other replies 'Good Heavens - how did she find the time to do all her housework?'

BonnieBlooming Tue 21-Aug-18 12:44:07

Have been feeling bit down today but the miracle Vatican cream has given me such a laugh!

Hildagard Tue 21-Aug-18 12:51:27

Fennel that’s good?

icanhandthemback Tue 21-Aug-18 13:04:34

Snap, Mollyplop. The only difference is that my libido is low enough that I could happily go without it for the rest of my life as long as we were still affectionate but, sadly, DH equates sex and love as being the same thing! I take an oral HRT, top up with a pessary and use Replens. It’s not totally comfortable but makes it bearable. I do wish I felt more amorous but give me a good cuddle anytime.

Greengage Tue 21-Aug-18 13:22:40

I love a good laugh. Great postings everyone!

valeriej43 Tue 21-Aug-18 13:31:18

Vagifem for dryness and Livial for libido,[Tibolone] you can take livial after the menop[ause,
I take it and i am 75