Gransnet forums

Menopause

Menopause weight gain

(71 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 08-Mar-19 10:20:33

We're looking to update our menopause weight gain page and we want your input.

Did you gain weight during the menopause? Did you find any effective ways to minimise this? Or did it not affect you at all?

We want to hear about your experiences on this thread so we can make the page more informative and helpful to other gransnetters.

Thank you! smile

tanith Fri 08-Mar-19 10:29:13

When I reached 45 my weight slowly started to rise where before it was pretty stable. It fluctuated up and down at worst over 12st but with a lot of will power I now manage to keep it down to normal range for my height but it’s definately become harder in my middle Years I’m now 70.

Kalu Fri 08-Mar-19 11:33:16

No change in weight for me.

B9exchange Fri 08-Mar-19 11:38:20

Had an early menopause, so not related, but metablolism definitely changed age 50. Before then I could eat anything, almost overnight the weight started piling on. Now have to really eat small portions, virtually cut out carbs, and exist on permanent 1000 calorie diet, anything over that and I balloon. Perhaps is is more related to age?

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-19 13:16:34

No, I've always been quite a fatty.

EllanVannin Fri 08-Mar-19 13:33:04

I remained at 9 and a 1/2 stone.

Antonia Fri 08-Mar-19 14:43:20

I am playing devil's advocate here, but maybe women are actually meant to gain weight after menopause? Extra weight could protect the bones, and
maybe act as a 'cushion' in case of illnesses that cause weight loss, which are more likely to happen as we age. When I search the internet for 'weight gain after menopause,' all I get are loads of websites telling me how I can avoid it if I can only cut down on carbs, eat smaller portions, do more exercise etc etc. In my own experience, I can either eat normally and gain weight, or be permanently hungry and lose a couple of pounds. For the record, I am 66 years old, 5 ft 0 inches and I weigh 64 kg which puts me in the overweight category. I would love to lose weight but not at the expense of being hungry all the time. Ducks down to avoid the flack.

M0nica Fri 08-Mar-19 15:45:55

Until I was 50, I put weight on at Christmas and on holiday and lost it afterwards and my weight was still what it was in my 20s, and well within all guidelines.

From 50 my weight just crept up slowly and inexorably. I used my usual weight loss methods without effect. I must have cut my food intake by at least a third and my exercise level shot up because I retired early and DH and I promptly took on a major renovation project, house and garden, so I was doing garden clearance and decorating etc 5 hours a day for months at a time. Weight gain stopped after about 10 years by which time I had gained over a stone and a half. But nothing I did could reduce it. I was reduced to trying fad diets, anything, to try to lose the extra weight but without success.

Then 5 years ago, at the age of 70, the 5:2 diet came on the scene. I went on it and in 4 months I lost 2 stone and have not regained it. Just back to my usual pattern of 3-4 lbs at Christmas and after holidays, which I can lose within weeks. I follow the 6:1 maintenance program and 6 days a week eat what I want, as I want, without worrying about my weight and certainly never going hungry.

However as I am now nearly 2 inches shorter than I was before the menopause, I would like to lose another half stone to keep my BMI comfortably in midstream.

Framilode Fri 08-Mar-19 17:43:04

It's not only weight it's where it lands. My shape has changed with a thickening in the middle area and the weight landing on my belly.

B9exchange Fri 08-Mar-19 17:48:48

Monica, you could have been writing my story, except I struggle with the 5:2 when under stress. I really must try again now that my stress levels have gone down a bit!

M0nica Fri 08-Mar-19 19:00:07

I never had a waist, my ribs, virtually rest on my hips. it means I avoid clothes that cinch at the waist. I found a photo recently taken in the late 50s/early 60s, when wide belted full skirted shirt waisters were all the rage. I look huge with a great big waist, but other photos taken at the same time in more waist skimming clothes show just how slim I actually was.

notentirelyallhere Fri 08-Mar-19 19:38:23

I was always slim and active and could lose weight easily by just cutting back a bit. My weight crept up through my 50s without me quite noticing. Now 65, over the last few years I have reduced by a stone with a mix of going to the gym (twice a week x 1 hr of fast cardio), restricting carbohydrates and following a pattern of eating 16/8. I am generally stable now unless there's a very sociable weekend or a holiday.

Cherrytree59 Fri 08-Mar-19 21:02:06

Up until 40s size 10 (5'7")
up to my 50s size 12
Menopause started 56yrs
But through my 50s have gradually put weight on and have now become top heavy.
16 on the top
14 on the bottom.
I find it much harder to lose weight now.
Unfortunately when I do it goes from all the wrong places including my face which for me is not good, results in people enquiring after my health.sad

M0nica Fri 08-Mar-19 21:43:23

It is interesting how pervasive this weight gain is and we are all aware of what is happening and trying to stop it.

The old lazy argument that we were just less active and tending to eat more, just doesn't hold water these days when most of us have healthy diets and are much more active than previous generations

showergelfresh Fri 08-Mar-19 22:46:16

I weigh the same as I did at 21 - between 10 and 10 and a half stone.
My shape has changed a bit and I'm flabbier - bat wings etc. It's funny how you don't notice the change then one day you look in the mirror and... My stomach is no longer washboard and sticks out a bit - yuk.
I have to visit a chiropractor every month to adjust everything and it seems to generally work okay - fingers crossed...
I take all the usual supplements - glucosamine etc to keep my joints under control - fingers crossed again.
Maybe I'm lucky as I find it hard to sit still for long and love the great outdoors - walking cycling and swimming. If I couldn't do those I would rather be 10 foot under really.

Skinnylizzie Sat 09-Mar-19 09:11:57

I was very slim even after 4 children I never weighed more than 8stone. I was a size 8 forever and ate like a horse - sometimes up to 4 bars of chocolate a day.
When I hit 50 everything I had ever eaten seemed to attach itself to my body. My weight went up to 10 stone, not great for a 5’2 woman. I battled until I got down to 8.5 when I was happiest But it has crept up to 9 again and I cannot shift it at all. sad

Gma29 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:30:00

From mid forties onwards it has been a struggle to keep my weight down, but even so, I am still permanently at least 10lbs overweight. I used to be able to eat pretty much what I liked, and even over a more prolonged spell like Christmas/New Year I never dieted afterwards and the few lbs I gained just went. No more, (unfortunately), any gain just sits there, and I have to watch fairly carefully what I eat all the while, or it just creeps up - and up!

Omaoma57 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:30:12

Put on over 3 stone after menopause and a complete hysterectomy... went low carb two years ago...now slimmer than i have ever been...healthier..happier...you just have to eat real foods not CRAP...carbonated, refined artificial or processed. I have cut out refined grains and some dairy..digestive issues gone, joint pain gone and i sleep all night!

lizkaz1 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:30:24

I am not blaming just the menopause for weight gain. Bad diet and poor lifestyle choices have played a part. The problem I am having is losing it! I have been trying really hard for 2 years. I gave managed 2 stone but it feels like it's taken forever. I think bring on HRT hasnt helped, I think I'm resigned to just keep trying, and stay healthy. I do agree with Antonia that there may be a very good reason for a little extra weight as you get older. It is difficult to stay motivated with diet and gym when you do not see results. As with M0nica I am eating at least a third less than I was and doing hard exercise at the Gym its took me 6 weeks to lose 1lb. My attitude......as long as I'm healthy I dont care. I am 59 and had a fatty liver and needed cholesterol pills. Now, my liver is fine and I do not need any treatment for cholesterol or BP. I might be a couple of dress sizes bigger, but also I am not getting any bigger. So I will just keep plodding on with healthy diet and exercise. Ps I have read a book by Scott Baptie 101 wzys to lose weight. Talks sense and is not extreme and had helped me a lot

Ffion63 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:32:23

I put on two stones around the time of the menopause when I finished up at 11 stones. After stopping work, I lost a stone and weight has remained fairly stable. I do Pilates, yoga and doggy walk as well as cutting back on cakes etc. I have now lost a stone and would like to lose another half stone. It is a fight trying to shift that cushion round the middle, I admit. I have noticed that wearing knickers which are longer in the body help smooth the bumps when wearing more fitting clothes.

dragonfly46 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:37:04

I weighed a constant 8 and a half stone until I was 50. I am 5'7. In the following 5 years I gained a stone and a half and it is all round my middle. I am now a pretty constant 10 stone.

Mazamet07 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:45:44

I didn't gain weight, however my body shape has altered. I do try to eat well and never, ever eat processed foods

GabriellaG54 Sat 09-Mar-19 10:02:32

Meno passed without any effects at all, I was 51.
I gained about 7lbs between 51 and 70 but lost it plus another 4lbs through running and ditching car use as much as possible.
I cut sweet things to once a week and eat a vegetarian diet of just 2 meals a day at 11am and 5.30 pm or as near to those times as possible.
I've never been on HRT and not grown any facial hair or had hair thinning elsewhere.
I take no supplements but do have a dessertspoon of malt extract every morning since childhood.

annab275 Sat 09-Mar-19 10:06:18

I had a total hysterectomy 15 years ago, and went into instant menopause with hot flushes etc. I am now 65 and am the same weight as I was when I was 20. I am just a different shape, probably because I am more fat than muscle. To maintain this weight, I have to eat very sensibly, never have takeaways, walk nearly every day and practice moderation. My friends who are a little older struggle with Type 2 diabetes, joint pain, obesity etc, but they have had the fun of the food!

Beejo Sat 09-Mar-19 10:09:04

I read a long time ago that once we get to 40, our metabolism slows down and to stay the same weight, we have to eat less.
I have no reason not to think that is more or less true, menopause or not.