Gransnet forums

Menopause

Pre menopause excessively heavy periods

(50 Posts)
Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 16:46:05

I will have a normal period for a few months and then a short cycle with heavy bleeding that won't stop without medication. Doctors don't seem to be worried, but I am left shaky and run down. I am 46. Is this normal? It does not feel normal.

tanith Tue 06-Aug-19 16:56:25

I had similar a few times pre menopause, my periods stopped completely a couple of years later. No treatment was given, if your doctor isn’t concerned I wouldn’t worry unless you are feeling worse of course.

Minniemoo Tue 06-Aug-19 16:59:24

Have you had a blood test for perimenopause? I suffered with similar symptoms when I was headed for menopause. Very annoying. I hope it settles down for you soon.

Willow500 Tue 06-Aug-19 17:05:55

Yes I too went through this culminating in a very heavy 6 period which lasted 6 weeks with clots and flooding. The doctor sent me to the hospital - they gave me some tablets which stopped it and I never had another period after that. I was about the same age.

My DIL is 48 and was suffering horrendous bleeding although they kept saying she wasn't in the menopause. Eventually the doctor recommended fitting a coil which has helped.

If your doctor isn't worried it's probably just part of your normal running into menopause cycle.

Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 17:12:09

I think I worry because they don't seem to comprehend how heavy it is. I darent leave the house using tampons and nighttime pads. You are all right though, I am sure my doctor knows best. I had a 6 week episode the first time this happened. I really hope I am nearing the end then!

BlueBelle Tue 06-Aug-19 18:39:03

I too had a year of this around 47/8 years old it culminated in having a D and C (do they still do them) and I never had another thing, no symptoms of menopause from that day to this, and no further bleeding all very good

Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 18:50:38

I may ask about that, thank you

notanan2 Tue 06-Aug-19 18:57:16

I'm the same! Im hoping that its a "gets worse before it gets better" situation and they'll just stop soon!

I have been prescribed medication to reduce the bleeding but the side effects of the meds were unbearable.

Alternative is endometrial ablation which Im told rarely works and can cause a lot of pain.

I feel like I have been "pre menopausal" forever and I just wish my body would get on with it now! You get no real menopauae support from GPs until you are IN menopause but the pre symptoms are really getting me down!

notanan2 Tue 06-Aug-19 19:01:34

Coil can make it better or worse. No way of knowing which way it'll go. And if you are one of the "worse" people then you have a real fight on your hands to get it taken back out!

I have a friend who had to lie and say she was considering concieving (in mid 40s!) And only THEN would they willingly remove her coil after previously refusing! Its so sexist!

BlueBelle Tue 06-Aug-19 19:10:33

Don’t they do Dand C s any more if not I wonder why not it was a completely painless experience no after effects

notanan2 Tue 06-Aug-19 19:14:01

They do endometrial ablation as a last resort before hysterectomy but it usually requires a general anaesthetic depending on the ablation method used. And often has zero effect. So quite a risk (GA) for potentially no benefit.

Granny23 Tue 06-Aug-19 19:14:02

I also in late 40s early 50s suffered heavy and prolonged bleeding with clots in the run up to the menopause. Thankfully, I was offered (and accepted) a version of the contraceptive pill, which was taken daily without a break and which was designed to prevent periods occuring at all. This worked like a dream and after 4 years I stopped taking the tablets, had one very slight bleed and that was that. When Dr reminded me that I should still take contraceptive measures, I pointed out that by this time I was 55. He then said 'In that case use no contraception and if you do become pregnant I'll become famous as the Doctor who oversaw the pregnancy of the oldest women to conceive naturally'.

notanan2 Tue 06-Aug-19 19:17:57

Most women in that age group are only offered the progesterone only pill due to the risks of combined pills. And progesterone only pills have the worst side effects, particularly on mental health.

Willynilly Tue 06-Aug-19 19:38:47

I had endometrial ablation over 25 years ago and it changed my life completely. Painless and totally successful.

Jessity Tue 06-Aug-19 19:57:36

I always had very heavy periods with flooding even as a teenager. Eventually it was so bad that I had a hysterectomy when I was 36 (this was the early 1980s).

Afterwards it was such a treat to walk past the sanitary protection shelves without buying anything, instead of having to spend a fortune on those products.

Nandalot Tue 06-Aug-19 20:01:18

I had years of this. I became very anaemic. Had tablets, a D and C but eventually had to have a hysterectomy at 42. I couldn’t understand why I had put up with it so long.

Nandalot Tue 06-Aug-19 20:02:33

Jessity , crossed posts, you were even younger than me, though my problems started at 32.

Hetty58 Tue 06-Aug-19 20:16:08

I had the problem pre-menopause too and it caused severe anaemia. At the time, I was taking anti-inflammatories for a shoulder injury so it improved when I stopped taking them and restored my iron levels.

Earlier in my life I had a coil fitted, went on holiday and had severe flooding. I felt very tired (yet calm) and terribly cold. It had to be removed immediately due to dangerous blood loss.

SalsaQueen Tue 06-Aug-19 22:13:40

I only stopped having periods about 18 months ago (I'm 60). From the age of about 52, I had terrible periods which lasted weeks and weeks, and I was having to wear FIVE pads at once. It really was awful. I was referred to the hospital (I had an appointment within 2 weeks of seeing my GP), where I had scans, internals, blood tests, uterine biopsies (incredibly painful) and was talked into having a coil put in..... after 2 weeks of the coil, I insisted the doctor take it out as the cramps were awful.

I had 6 years of tests, all the same as before, plus hormone pills to stop the periods, (they didn't always work) and 6 months of iron tablets.

Any woman going through a bad time with periods has my sympathy, and you need to ask to be referred to a gynaecologist.

ginny Wed 07-Aug-19 08:17:19

I had endometrial ablation over 20 years ago. Worked like a dream after a couple of years of very heavy bleeding.

maryhoffman37 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:26:01

Get a second opinion! I had this at 45 and it was caused by fibroids. I had a hysterectomy and was very glad to say goodbye to periods.

kezzab Wed 07-Aug-19 10:34:16

Hello first time posting here but I felt I had to write you really should not have to put up with heavy bleeding anytime, I’ve suffered similar problems for years at the expense of my career. If you follow Liz Earle she has written an excellent ebook about HRT and the myths surrounding the Peri & menopause. I ended up having a hysterectomy at 44 and feel a new woman now, but no one should have to doing anything that drastic you can be helped please get a second opinion or you will get very run down.

Diane227 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:55:36

My daughter recently had this problem. Her GP sent her for a scan and they discovered a polyp and fybroids. She has now had these removed as a day patient in hospital. Dont be fobbed off. Ask for a scan just even to put your mind at rest.

Willow10 Wed 07-Aug-19 11:00:23

I my had the endometrial ablation around 26 years ago. Best thing I ever did.

Willow10 Wed 07-Aug-19 11:00:58

That should read I too!