Gransnet forums

Menopause

Night sweats

(40 Posts)
Flutterby1 Thu 10-Oct-19 08:57:47

Good morning. I started having night sweats about 4 months at the age of 65. For the first 3months I was having to schange my pjs about 3times a night although the past couple of weeks thy have not been nearly as bad (sometimes don’t have to change although last night once).
Have had numerous health tests and all fine.
I have read that some women have these at age 70 and beyond postmenopause.
Anyone else had same experience.
Apart from getting pretty hot during my menopause don’t recall sweats being as bad although maybe I have just forgotten. Thanks ladies

shysal Thu 10-Oct-19 09:40:37

I still have night sweats at the age of 73. I live alone so can cover the bed to suit me, only using a sheet over me all year round. There is a fan permanently positioned next to the bed and gel cooling mats under the pillow and beside me. Sorry I cannot give you any hope for an improvement, but you never know!
It must be lovely to snuggle under a fluffy duvet!

Flutterby1 Thu 10-Oct-19 13:49:12

Hi Shysal thanks for your reply. I just felt that it was a bit odd me having night sweats begin at my age but obviously not. Oh well just have to find ways to deal with them.
Thanks again

pamdixon Fri 11-Oct-19 10:04:02

I am 73 too and still have them. I use a cooling pillow which helps - I like having my face on something cold in the middle of hte night. Have not had a decent full night's sleep since I came off HRT about 15 years ago........................!

Coconut Fri 11-Oct-19 10:05:18

My daughter bought me a flat pillow that you keep in the fridge, think it’s called “chill max” ... anyway it works like a dream on the back of my neck !

quEEEniE Fri 11-Oct-19 10:12:43

One week ago due to night sweats l went back on HRT, l was off for one year so felt l had given it a decent shot . However HRT not kicked in yet so still suffering. I used to love my bed now l dread it as l know my sleep will be disturbed. no way to live in my opinion and luckily my GP agreed.

Nortsat46 Fri 11-Oct-19 10:15:27

Flutterby1 I still have night sweats of varying intensity and am 6 years post menopause.
I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago and the sweats came back thereafter.
I take quite a lot of steroids in the course of the year, which can exacerbate night sweats.

I would only repeat others advice and you are probably doing most of these anyway - we keep the bedroom temperature like Antarctica, fan positioned next to me and on all night and a cool pillow.

Sorry there's no simple solution... best of luck ?

Bluedaisy Fri 11-Oct-19 10:16:40

I’m so pleased to know I’m not alone (not pleased for you obviously!) but I’ve recently started having sweats both day and night again and last night the bed was wet through! I had a full hysterectomy at 48 and have been on HRT since albeit only half a dose nowadays. I’m 63 so thought they would be long gone by now, I even started to think I was ill. I don’t remember them being this bad since just after my hysterectomy! I’m up so often in the night that I’m feeling shattered during the day. Is it still the menopause?

Angeleyes58xx Fri 11-Oct-19 10:16:43

Flutterby1 Hi I’m 62 I have night sweats and sometimes during the day, the night ones don’t seem as bad as they used too, so I’m hoping they are starting to fade away, we can but hope ? it’s awful isn’t it..
Sending you much love, and I hope things improve for you, as it’s so uncomfortable.?xx

rosieod1 Fri 11-Oct-19 10:17:50

I get night sweats too and am the same age as you.Never had them when I was going through the menopause and just recently have been having tender breasts,like I used to get before a period. Been to the doctor to get them checked and she said all seems ok,no lumps or anything.Could be a hormone surge !! Just when you think you're past all that stuff

Gotthattshirt Fri 11-Oct-19 10:18:18

Me too - ever since the menopause started 17 years ago!
You have my sympathy as the lack of sleep is exhausting.
They come and go in phases (maybe linked to pre menopause monthly cycle? -haven’t really recorded). Worse if I’m stressed.
A cool sleeping room with a light but cosy cover are the most comfortable. A firm (top) pillow also helps so that it doesn’t ‘cosy’ around your head.
Night time cuddle ups are a thing of the past unless the temperatures are sub zero!

Granmaz Fri 11-Oct-19 10:18:57

Hi Flutterby 1, I came off HRT about 6 months ago and the hot flushes and night sweats started again with a vengeance (I’m 63) I have cut caffeine and alcohol out completely and have started eating main meal in the middle of the day and less at night - it has definitely helped and sweats and flushes reduced dramatically. Give a try, it might help you too.

Davsgril Fri 11-Oct-19 10:31:04

Hi Ladies, my first post. I too was getting bad night sweats I read that taking sage tablet helps and they have certainly helped me a lot. Good luck.

sandelf Fri 11-Oct-19 10:36:01

Granmaz post I second - also find I have a bad night if I eat sugary things after about 8 in the evening. I guess they provide the fuel!

cc Fri 11-Oct-19 11:12:59

I'm 67 and still have night sweats, I also literally drip during the day if I get hot when gardening or cooking.
Things have improved since I changed my old foam mattress for a more traditional one with a cotton padded mattress cover and cotton sheets. I have a light goosedown duvet and pillow. Anything synthetic seems to make things worse.
I'd imagined that things would get better with time, but that certainly hasn't happened to me.

Patticake123 Fri 11-Oct-19 11:28:22

Slightly different as I was 55 but what helped me was drinking sage tea. Steep sage leaves in boiling water add honey if desired and (I wouldn’t say enjoy as it’s not the best taste) take control of the wretched sweats.

hereshoping Fri 11-Oct-19 11:51:38

I'm 70 now, been suffering for last 17 years. More just hot flushes now as don't get too damp. Makes it incredibly hard to get back to sleep but I like to think that I'm working off the extra calories.
Used to have to get up and walk about until the bed cooled down but now a I use 2 cold gel pads and a hot water bottle filled with cold water. Have noticed how much colder they are now that the weather has cooled. Use gel pad under my head and bottle on my chest.
Will look out for sage tea and maybe grow some next year. Many thanks for the suggestion.

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 11-Oct-19 11:54:37

I bought a 1 tog Duvet and it works great at night with the hot sweats but I do find during the day when I have a sweat I go very cold after. Honestly you just can't win! Have some Sage in the garden so will try the tea.
Did take HRT but within 10 months found I had breast cancer and will never know if that is what started it off.

Jillybird Fri 11-Oct-19 11:59:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icanhandthemback Fri 11-Oct-19 12:10:28

May I suggest that you get your blood sugars checked. When my blood sugars are out of control, this is one of the ways I know.

knspol Fri 11-Oct-19 12:12:25

Almost 70 and still have occasional night sweats and still have hot flushes during the day which leave me dripping. The slightest exertion can bring them on but also experience them when sat doing nothing. Seems my internal thermometer has gone haywire since menopause.

cc Fri 11-Oct-19 12:17:35

knspol that's exactly how I feel - my thermometer has been haywire for 15 years, I'm starting to believe that it will never work properly again.

Allsaints55 Fri 11-Oct-19 12:27:00

I was off HRT for 3 months and my quality of life went down hill rapidly . I felt sick and my stomach flipped before the hot flush came on , tired and anxious.I would quickly be removing clothes . I’m 61 and had happily taken HRT for 8 years . I went back on it3 days ago and already feel wonderful and sleeping like a log !! . It seems nature forgets us once our child bearing days are done . Quality of life over the risks of Hrt I’m afraid x

Madmaggie Fri 11-Oct-19 13:11:54

It's good to know I'm not alone. I'm in my late 60's, didn't have HRT and still get sooo hot ?but not every night thank heavens. Have had to ditch the memory foam mattress which made things worse and have bought a lovely thick mattress topper in a sale. Hubby says he could fry an egg on me at times!

NannanTo4 Fri 11-Oct-19 13:15:14

I suffer this - embarrassing when having sleep overs ? I also find I am happier in sleeveless dresses even in the winter months. I have been taking my grand daughters to school / nursery this week and while everyone else is wearing coats scarfs and hats I am ambling along only in my linen dress with a pair of leggings. I feel claustrophobic in cardigans and coats unless the temp drops to a big minus. However - come evening and I snuggle up on the sofa in PJs and thick fluffy dressing gown (heating on too!)
None of it makes any sense but I am used to it now.