Gransnet forums

Menopause

Progynova TS Estradiol 50 patches

(35 Posts)
Poshbec Sun 07-Jun-20 18:16:27

Does anyone have experience of using these? Have been on them for 4 weeks now, but stopped 2 days ago as body thermostat out of control (hot) & sleep really difficult as well as very tender breasts(have had to go up from a B to a C cup). Wondering if my underactive thyroid is affecting increased levels of Estradiol, &/or prediabetes blood levels(hereditary as 5’3 & fondly weigh 55kg). Also had Mirena coil fitted in February as part of HRT, but Symptoms not good since then. Any advice please?

Rosalyn69 Sun 07-Jun-20 18:28:10

I don’t know. I swear by Evorel Conti patches.

Poshbec Sun 07-Jun-20 19:08:16

Have tried these without success, unfortunately.

lovingit Sun 07-Jun-20 21:21:44

I've been using these for 4 years with no problems at all.

Esspee Mon 08-Jun-20 07:31:41

Please consult your doctor. People respond differently to medication and there is a whole range of transdermal preparations for you to try. When you find the right one it is truly life changing so persevere.

adnil1949 Mon 08-Jun-20 10:03:47

You do need to have your Thyroid tested. I used them for a few years, had a Thyroid function test every year. I did find I still got night sweats and had bad sleep. I stopped when they were hard to get.

Ermilou Mon 08-Jun-20 10:08:20

I’ve recently had to use evorel sequi (combined hormone ones) with estrogen from progynova TS 50. As the evorel estrogen only patches have been unavailable for 18 mths. (Been on hrt since dec 2017 on evorel sequi) I’ve had no issues with swapping the brand or combining two different ones but it but took a good 4 weeks for everything to settle. I agree with someone else...call the doctor or speak to your pharmacy otherwise you will continue to worry. Hope it all gets better soon.

Lupatria Mon 08-Jun-20 10:10:52

i started my hrt with patches but was allergic to them - i ended up with a ring of red rings around me!
so after having an hrt implant for many years until they stopped making it i'm now taking estradiol tablets and i'm fine.
i will be taking these for as long as i'm allowed.
i have been on hrt for almost 25 years now and intend staying on it!

jenni123 Mon 08-Jun-20 10:13:13

When I was given patches i started to have migraine every month (when I would have 'come on') the migraine lasted 3 days and was severe. I had never had migraine before. The patches were stopped and so did the migraine. Never had it since.

NemosMum Mon 08-Jun-20 10:35:05

I think you really need to speak to your doctor and possibly get a referral to a gynaecologist. Don't mess around yourself - you seem to have some other health issues which need to be taken into account.

gulliver12 Mon 08-Jun-20 10:43:34

Disclosure- retired doc with interest in menopause. Sounds as if you are just getting a bit too much oestrogen and would be better with 25 rather than 50. Most patches can be cut in half. Please try and contact your own prescriber before doing anything. Would only need a telelecon consultation in most cases.

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 08-Jun-20 10:56:58

Our experiences cannot be your experiences, we are all slightly different and react in different ways.

Please contact your doctor and talk it through with them.

Chickenfeet Mon 08-Jun-20 10:59:21

I tried this for a few months without success,once I stopped, the unbearable itch down under stop as well. By the way,if the patches is for menopause,eating sweet potato and soya products may help.

Sunnysideup Mon 08-Jun-20 11:20:47

Hi there, have been on Estradot 50 patches for six years but they are now unavailable. GP has changed me over to Progynova, which I’d never heard of, but am dreading changing over as I’m so sensitive to change. I’m still eking out the remainder of my Estradot patches as I managed to buy some in Tenerife before the lockdown. If you’ve only just started HRT, Poshbee, it can take a little while for your body to adjust.

MaryXYX Mon 08-Jun-20 12:01:21

I used Estraderm with no problem for some years, but my pharmacist says the patches aren't available now, so I'm back to tablets.

LesleyFi Mon 08-Jun-20 12:25:33

Love them love them love them!!!!!
Doctor forced me off last year after 10 years but after 5 months of misery I was ‘allowed’ back on them....!
Only problem I have is sometimes getting the glue scrubbed off my behind!!!!!

Toddy Mon 08-Jun-20 12:46:42

Can I ask if anyone over 60 and on hrt?

LesleyFi Mon 08-Jun-20 13:15:58

I’m 62 Toddy but I think there are rules about starting once ur over 60....I was 49.

Daisyboots Mon 08-Jun-20 13:21:53

I was put on HRT patches when I was 48 but unfortunately 3 years later was diagnosed with breast cancer so had to come off them immediately. Maybe you should discuss with your doctor about trying a different patch which may suit you you better.

Esspee Mon 08-Jun-20 13:49:19

@Lupatria Implants are available. I've been on them for 30+ years and don't intend to stop.
Because of the current pandemic my clinic has been closed so I am temporarily on gel. Can't wait to get back to my implant.
Please don't take pills. Ask for any transdermal method instead if you are refused implants. With HRT pills you need a huge dose because it passes through the liver and can cause blood clots etc.
Happy to discuss this if you want to PM me.

Esspee Mon 08-Jun-20 13:55:45

@Toddy I am 71. I have been on HRT since my hysterectomy at age 40. Happy to answer any questions you might have. My consultant is one of the top people in the field and she is happy for me to continue indefinitely.

Jamcee Mon 08-Jun-20 14:03:17

Like you I am on a combination of the patches and the coil. The patches are the 25 strength and I have had no problems at all. Perhaps as previously mentioned you need the lower strength patches? Good luck.

Alison333 Mon 08-Jun-20 14:16:07

Toddy, I'm 65 and on HRT but started it in my late forties. No problems at all and I go for all the available checks. I used to be on 1/10mg Elleste Duo but that's unobtainable so have swapped to Femoston 1/10mg. Provided there are no medical reasons not to take it, I can't see a problem.

Mamma7 Mon 08-Jun-20 14:19:08

I’ve been on Femseven conti then out of stock so then evorel conti for 12 years....which worried me until I read some of these comments. Got another letter from doctor recently asking me to discuss use of HRT as recent research has raised risks again. Problems with supply last year so ended up buying some in Cape Town of all places! Now available in UK and I got evorel patches in March.
I’ve been cutting patch in half for several months now as I do worry about breast cancer. I’m so happy to see that some women have been using HRT for 20 or 30 years with no problems, very reassuring for a scaredy cat like me!

AJKW Mon 08-Jun-20 15:27:36

I’ve tried Everol Conti patches but they wouldn’t stay on when hot in the summer months. I now use oral HRT and although the first tablet I used caused breast tenderness as the dose was too high I tried a lower dose and it was much better.
Women in my family have died from heart disease, there has been no incidence of breast cancer so I concluded that taking HRT was probably beneficial for me.