Gransnet forums

Menopause

Atrophic Vaginitis ........help pleeeeese

(48 Posts)
Hellij46 Fri 17-Jul-20 23:19:58

A couple of months ago, started feeling a bit uncomfortable down in the old undercarriage area (61 years old) and no periods for at least 10 years! Tried to ignore it, but it got worse, burning sensation, then the feeling like I had a uti or cystitis! Called Dr who gave me a prescription over the phone, due to Covid 19! Took the antibiotics for 3 days and it seemed to get better for around a week!! Then it started again up again - eventually called Dr again! Had an appointment and an internal examination and she said I had signs of menopausal changes! Had urine sample sent to lab for analysis, and it came back normal! Dr prescribed Vagifem! Started taking it and after about a week, symptoms felt loads better, then once I went on to it twice a week the symptoms have come back! Should I be feeling better? I expect I am being impatient! Anyone have any advice about how long this stuff takes to work, have heard conflicting reports about how long it takes to work! Guessing it's different for everyone! Will contact my GP again for a review and hopefully get prescribed some more , as this burning sensation is driving me nuts - it's got to the stage where it's all consuming and I don't think of anything else, which is probably making it worse ........... Any advice gratefully received! PS some days I feel the constant need to pee, but other's not - it doesn't burn during urination and afterwards there is some relief until the burning starts again sad Made another appointment to see GP on Tuesday for further investigations, in the meantime, got some more Vagifem to take daily again and see if it settles - dropped off another urine sample too - which looked a bit cloudier this time!! Hopefully that will be back by appointment time. Am hoping this is not the new norm ............ sad

mumofmadboys Fri 17-Jul-20 23:35:30

Daily vagifem should help . Have you been asked to use it daily for two weeks before dropping the dose to twice weekly? Things should soon improve.

Hellij46 Fri 17-Jul-20 23:42:32

Yes it was after the loading dose for two weeks that the symptoms crept back a week after dropping down to 2 per week as prescribed! have been using every other day at the moment, but burning symptoms are still there unfortunately! GP has prescribed some more - so fingers crossed!

MayBee70 Sat 18-Jul-20 00:03:34

I use a vaginal gel called replens but also sometimes take dMannose tablets or powder which prevent cystitis. I kept getting awful cystitis when I first suffered from atrophy but touch wood I haven’t had cystitis for ages. I was constantly feeling as if I needed a wee.

Esspee Sat 18-Jul-20 06:44:30

It’s one of the secrets of menopause that vaginal atrophy often occurs when your oestrogen is used up. (as does osteoporosis etc.)
Ask your doctor if HRT can be started now, though I unfortunately think it too late.
Localised application of oestrogen cream usually works well. Be prepared to use it every day.
Hope you feel better soon.

kittylester Sat 18-Jul-20 07:10:30

I use vagifem and find it works so long as I remember to use it. I get lulled into a false sense of security!! I think the advice to use replens along side is good. I also use vagisil in the shower.

Tuppence15 Sat 18-Jul-20 07:26:15

Try making other changes as well. I have had to give up all bath additives such as oils and bubble baths. I have also stopped using fabric conditioner on my knickers. So far things have improved. Touch wood.

Puzzler61 Sat 18-Jul-20 07:28:48

I use Regelle (non hormonal). It’s a moisturising lubricant. Every 3 days.
You don’t mention hot flushes Hellij but I still got those when I used Estriol on prescription.
They haven’t happened since changeover to Regelle. V.A. is ongoing, unfortunately, as others have said.

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-Jul-20 09:44:24

I’ve not experienced it but I understand that oestrogen cream can be used with good effect. Not sure if the cream you are using is already that or just a lubricant. I do hope things improve it sounds miserable!

Dollygloss Sat 18-Jul-20 09:44:45

Have you had your blood glucose checked? I have had similar symptoms for months and it's only when I got control of my glucose spikes, undiagnosed before this, that things started to improve. It also made a huge difference to drink plenty of water to dilute any sneaky sugars. I don't have diabetes but my reaction to carbs is similar and I control it with diet. If I get a return of the itch I know I have experienced a rise in sugar in the last 24 hours. Also as an added barrier I use a tiny amount of vaseline.... a tip I picked up somewhere on Gransnet!

Missedout Sat 18-Jul-20 10:02:58

I was put on HRT in my late 60's and told I can stay on HRT for as long as I want. You aren't too old and there are many other health benefits.

Doodle Sat 18-Jul-20 10:15:36

Poor girl, I know exactly how you feel. I was on the point of giving up work because I couldn’t cope with the pain and irritation. Replens is my advice bought over the counter without prescription. I use it with the applicator as instructed and just use a bit applied with my finger every day. Hope you find something that helps you soon.

GrandmaMoira Sat 18-Jul-20 10:39:28

I am prescribed Oestriel cream, which I think is the same as Vagifem. I haven't had the cystitis like symptoms for a long time but do have minor incontinence if I don't use it often enough. I would use it 3 to 4 times a week, despite the prescription saying twice a week. I also use a non perfumed cream such as Diprobase externally.
Mine was diagnosed by a Urogynaecologist, not the GP.

sunshine57 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:55:09

I use a product called 'Yes' which I order on line.This comes in various forms and I find the oil based one is best for me.The website explains about vaginal atrophy.

I have had breast cancer twice and have been prescribed a tablet called Arimidex which blocks the production of oestrogen which fuels the cancer.The side effect is vaginal discomfort and all the problems raised by gransnetters above.

I cannot take Oestriel which contains oestrogen.

www.yesyesyes.org

Hellij46 Sat 18-Jul-20 12:12:55

Lovely ladies - thank you so much for all your responses! Will ask my GP if I can have one of the creams suggested or take a trip to the chemist and buy over the counter! @Dollygloss, not had sugar levels tested - so could be an issue maybe - thanks for suggesting! fingers crossed that this awful discomfort does one asap! {smile}

Luckygirl Sat 18-Jul-20 14:19:55

Just a little warning - when I had oestrogen-based cream prescribed, all the oestrogen-sensitive cells in that particular area (of which there are many) swelled up and I finished up with something resembling a cauliflower "down below"!!!

Sussexborn Sat 18-Jul-20 15:11:55

You could ask your local pharmacist for suggestions - over the counter and prescription.

Having been involved with Vulva health issues for nearly twenty years it really is a case of trial and error. I could stock a pharmacy with all the creams and potions I have acquired.

Generally (unless undergoing treatment) I use Dermol (OTC or prescribed) for showering and Vagisan cream ((OTC or prescribed) or Sudocream mainly applied after using the loo. I also rinse and pat dry very gently after peeing. Keeping them in the fridge is helpful.

If it carries on much longer you may need to ask for a biopsy to be taken so you know exactly what you are dealing with. Not the best of experiences but saves going down quite so many blind alleys!

Hope all goes well on Tuesday! Make a written list of all the suggestions that appeal to you in case your mind goes blank just when you need to be sharp and clear.

Nanof3 Sat 18-Jul-20 16:43:31

Sudocream is the most soothing cream for me and I have tried everything else, waiting for an appointment to see Gynae have been waiting over 6 months now but had a phone consultation 2 months ago and told I will be contacted as soon as things are back to normal.

Hellij46 Sat 18-Jul-20 16:50:59

@Sussexborn - thanks for your advice, Am using dermol in the shower as GP said avoid usual shower gels, soaps etc. Had tried sudocrem, but not sure it helped! Will go armed with questions for GP - although some at my practice don't like it if they think you've been researching stuff!! Had heard sometimes toilet roll could be an irritant! We changed our brand earlier in the pandemic due to the lack of usual brand, but back on the usual now for a few weeks, unless they've changed something!

Hellij46 Sat 18-Jul-20 16:53:37

@Nanof3 - Gosh long wait - hope you get an appointment soon!

Peardrop50 Sat 18-Jul-20 16:54:58

A handful of dried cranberries each morning for good bladder health has worked for me for years following regular bouts of cystitis after menopause. I used to drink cranberry juice but found it made my gums sensitive hence the change to the dried fruit.
Not sure if that's relevant to your problem but might help others.
Hope you feel better soon, very uncomfortable symptoms.

Coolgran65 Sat 18-Jul-20 22:40:55

I didn't have burning when seeing but the outer area could get very inflamed and sore. I'm using the pessaries twice a week. And if any irritation a smear is Dermovate for a day or two. This keeps all under control.
I've learned to be careful of any incontinence dribble. This will set off an irritation very quickly.

Esspee Sat 25-Jul-20 18:24:26

The problem is caused by lack of oestrogen. Replace that and everything reverts to pre-menopausal levels.

grumpygran2 Thu 13-Aug-20 19:55:15

I'm definitely coming back as a Man. Following menopause, skin very thin and dry, hair thinning fast and after years of sweats and mood swings, now the dreadful Vaginal atrophy!!
I'm using Ovestin cream and YES lubricant but am still uncomfortable down there. Sore red patch on vulva which GP says is nothing to worry about and burning. Needless to say I have regular UTIs. Anyone else get the soreness but no itching??

Gehenna Mon 21-Sep-20 21:27:51

I also found that oestrogen creams or pessaries made everything swell up! From one lot of discomfort to another ... I started HRT patches about a year ago, and I also use the YES VM daily. Tried other moisturisers but I seem to react to them as well :-( YES is the only one I can tolerate and although I still have discomfort and redness, the moisturiser does help.