Gransnet forums

Menopause

Amitriptyline for anxiety

(32 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 14-Nov-21 22:04:24

4 year ago my mum left me forever ( passed away ) it caused the upmost stress that I had panic attacks and horrendous anxiety, my Dr put me on Amitriptyline, 20mg daily. 2 years ago i cut the dose down to 10mg alternate days. Besides the anxiety i noticed menopause symptoms too so i don't know if the upset of my mum passing away brought the menopause to start or just what !!!! ( i was 53 )

My question is, has anyone else been issued with Amitriptyline for anxiety, have you cut the dose down or stopped it altogether ?

I am thinking, surely after 4 years ( mum's passing was expected ) i shouldn't be still having this anxiety or could it be the menopause!

Elegran Sun 14-Nov-21 22:22:20

The menopause would have happened round about your age with or without your mum's passing. I don't think you can blame that.

Have you asked your GP about your continuing (or returning) anxiety? If not, perhaps a talk with them might be a good idea, it may be that another course of amitriptyline, or something else, will fix it.

Elegran Sun 14-Nov-21 22:22:22

The menopause would have happened round about your age with or without your mum's passing. I don't think you can blame that.

Have you asked your GP about your continuing (or returning) anxiety? If not, perhaps a talk with them might be a good idea, it may be that another course of amitriptyline, or something else, will fix it.

Serendipity22 Sun 14-Nov-21 22:26:46

Thank you Elegran yes, i am ringing them tomorrow a.m....

Now the subject of a dr's appointment is ANOTHER topic haaaaa

Marydoll Sun 14-Nov-21 22:35:19

Years ago I was on Amitryptiline for chronic pain. It actually caused anxiety and night terrors. I had to come off it pretty quickly.

I hope you manage to speak to your GP and can find some peace.

DillytheGardener Sun 14-Nov-21 22:39:47

I’ve heard bad things anecdotally about this drug, friend had a devil of time trying to get off it. I’d monitor your usage of it as its highly addictive.

Serendipity22 Sun 14-Nov-21 23:14:44

Thank you for your replies ...

Whiff Wed 24-Nov-21 21:22:43

I have been taking 10mg of Amitriptyline twice a day for 30 years for nerve pain. At times I have a pain flare and have to take an extra one lunch until the pain goes back to my normal level. Usually for at most 3 days. Amitriptyline helps me live my life to the full . I know someone on the same dose for spinal nerve damage . She suffered for years until she went on it.
It's like everything some drugs don't suit everyone.

All tablets are addictive no matter what they are if you are on them for a few months . Had awful withdrawal coming off a heart tablet after being it on 2 months. Hopefully get to start the new one this week.

ayse Wed 24-Nov-21 21:35:16

My DH has amitriptyline for chronic back pain and anxiety. I was prescribed it for shingles for two weeks for the nerve pain but it did nothing to help my anxiety. For this I used to take SSRI’s which really helped.

My periods stopped suddenly whilst I was experiencing huge stress so it isn’t impossible that the strain of the last 4 years has taken its toll.

I’d also go back to the GP. Maybe HRT would be another alternative? It’s all worth investigating further.

Hetty58 Wed 24-Nov-21 21:37:09

Whiff: 'some drugs don't suit everyone' - I tend to have bad reactions to most of them.

I was prescribed it for nerve pain in my back. It made no difference, as, apparently, it takes several weeks to begin working. I felt very fatigued and dizzy, with terrible pain in my eyes - so no good for me!

eazybee Thu 25-Nov-21 08:41:20

Discuss it with the pharmacist; they have a good knowledge of alternatives and the side effects of drugs and can suggest alternatives.

henetha Thu 25-Nov-21 09:43:54

Hi Serendipity22. Yes, I was prescribed Amitryptline about 4 years ago for anxiety which was keeping me awake at night due to a family problem. I also experienced panic attacks in busy places like supermarkets. Only 10mg, which I found was enough to help me sleep. During covid I had more problems so was told to increase it to 20mg.
It works fine for me. I sleep well most nights and am feeling calmer. It also helps a bit with pain (bad back), and my speech problems.
I don't know if I am addicted to it, and because I am 84 I figure that I don't really care if I am. I will take it for the rest of my life, hopefully. It seems to suit me well.
I imagine the menopause might play a part in your continuing anxiety, but I'm not sure. Best wishes and I hope you feel better very soon.

nadateturbe Thu 25-Nov-21 10:11:10

I take 5mg (half a pill) as needed to help me sleep. Any more and I'm groggy next day. It also helps my pain a little. I've been doing this for a long time. No problems. Very helpful.
But do see the doctor to discuss.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 25-Nov-21 10:40:27

It does sound like the two events may have clashed. So your menopause and the death of your mum, therefore intensifying everything.

I think you would benefit from talking to your GP, to see what therapies they offer at your surgery.

I do hope you feel better soon.

theworriedwell Thu 25-Nov-21 12:28:48

I had it for a month after shingles for pain. I loved the fact that I slept really well, I'm not a good sleeper at all. I didn't ask for any more as I generally don't like taking tablets and I already take levothyroxine for underactive thyroid and vitamin D and calcium for osteopenia so I didn't want to add another but when I'm lying awake I'd gladly take one.

Marmite32 Thu 25-Nov-21 17:53:50

I started a 2 week course yesterday. Like you,*worried well* it was for shingles pain. and I was hardly sleeping
I slept well last night but not much better with the pain today.
Dr. said she will check up with me at the end of the course but meanwhile sleep is such a blessing.

love0c Thu 25-Nov-21 17:58:33

A friend takes this every night. She has been taking it for years. She was given it for depression and anxiety. The doctor called it 'the miracle medicine'. She says it helps her sleep as well.

growstuff Thu 25-Nov-21 18:02:01

Please check this out as I'm not a medic, but I think the therapeutic dose for pain is lower than it is when used for anxiety. In other words, lower doses won't work for anxiety and higher doses won't have an additional effect on higher levels of pain.

PS. If there any concerns about your heart, you should have an ECG before starting Amitriptyline.

growstuff Thu 25-Nov-21 18:03:22

It's not a miracle medicine - no medicine is.

Baggs Thu 25-Nov-21 18:38:16

I take amitriptyline for chronic pain (alongside other pain relievers) and have done for years. Every so often (last time was December-January 2020-2021) I stop taking it for a few weeks to check that it is actually having an effect on pain levels.

My GP told me it doesn't work (I presume he meant for pain relief) if you just take it as and when, as one would with aspirin or paracetamol, because it has a cumulative effect.

I haven't noticed it having an effect on my sleeping, which was okay anyway, nor on anxiety levels, which weren't a bother.

theworriedwell Thu 25-Nov-21 20:36:42

Marmite32

I started a 2 week course yesterday. Like you,*worried well* it was for shingles pain. and I was hardly sleeping
I slept well last night but not much better with the pain today.
Dr. said she will check up with me at the end of the course but meanwhile sleep is such a blessing.

I found it made it easier to cope with the pain if I could sleep. Pain plus exhaustion is really hard.

I hope you feel better soon.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 25-Nov-21 21:08:10

I was put on it for upper back pain and the side effects were terrible, also I was sleepy I was hardly functioning. So I came off them after nearly two months.

growstuff Thu 25-Nov-21 21:12:38

Same here Barmeyoldbat. I was prescribed it for diabetic neuropathy and stuck with it for just over two months. My sleep was a bit better, but I don't think it was better for pain than co-dydramol. I just couldn't cope with the feeling of being permanently cotton-wool-headed.

growstuff Thu 25-Nov-21 21:17:51

Serendipity I doubt if the dose you're currently taking has much effect on anxiety. If it were me, I'd ask for a GP appointment and discuss stopping and request an appointment for some kind of counselling. The current advice is to offer counselling before medication anyway. Unfortunately, that's not always that easy to get.

PS. Another disclaimer - I'm not a medic, which is why I think you should talk to a qualified doctor.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 25-Nov-21 21:39:45

Grow stuff love the phase cotton wool headed, is it a medical term?