Gransnet forums

Menopause

Is anyone else not on HRT?

(185 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Fri 29-Apr-22 22:32:08

I have just been watching the news and about the shortage of HRT. I know I have been lucky in that I have never had any major menopause problems. My periods just petered out and stopped. That was it. But I am beginning to think if there is something wrong with me. Surely I was supposed to have some reaction to the menopause. My hair hasn't even gone grey!! Is there anyone else out there like me?

MissAdventure Fri 29-Apr-22 22:38:32

I'm not on it, but I feel like poop, so I suppose I don't count.
My issues arent menopause related, though.

Jane43 Fri 29-Apr-22 22:38:49

My sister-in-law was the same, her periods stopped when she was in her early fifties and she never had a problem with hot flushes or anything else. Just count your blessings, there is nothing wrong with you.

Grammaretto Fri 29-Apr-22 22:39:04

Lucky you! Lizbethann55
I doubt that many women are on HRT at any one time but the Davina effect has suddenly caused a unexpected demand.
There will be another surge when Davina McCall's next programme about the menopause airs.
www.channel4.com/programmes/davina-mccall-sex-myths-and-the-menopause

I was glad not to need HRT but that was before I knew about the benefits such as helping to prevent osteoporosis. I may have made a different decision had I known more.

tanith Fri 29-Apr-22 22:43:28

I was on it for about 7yrs but my GP advised me to come off it and honestly I never noticed any difference. Is it advised to stay on it for ever now?

GagaJo Fri 29-Apr-22 22:43:53

Nope. Early menopause thanks to chemo but other than a rough first 2 or 3 months worth of mega hot flushes, it has been fine. If it's not broke...

Nonogran Fri 29-Apr-22 22:44:17

I was extremely lucky. I sailed through it.
No night sweats for me. In fact I used to make the girls at work laugh because I wore bed socks.
So lucky,

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 29-Apr-22 22:47:59

No, never, I suffer from quite severe migraines so it was never an option.

MissAdventure Fri 29-Apr-22 22:51:07

I had terrible sweats.
I slathered down to my gp and begged him for hrt because of them, but he suggested I try something herbal instead.

Florencelady Fri 29-Apr-22 23:12:08

No HRT here. Didn't have much issue with hot flushes in my early 50s except suddenly hated sun holidays as quite uncomfortable in the heat.. They passed off and not much bother since. Sometimes l wonder too have l missed getting support against osteoporosis but had that checked and so far so good at 61. My hair has gone grey though. No such luck with that!!
Some women seem to have a horrendous time and there is a lot of talk recently on radio etc on HRT which has affected supply due to an increased demand.

Doodledog Fri 29-Apr-22 23:21:12

I don’t take it, but sometimes wish I had. My mum and sister both do (did, in my mum’s case), and looked younger for longer. I didn’t consider osteoporosis either.

Blossoming Fri 29-Apr-22 23:22:53

No HRT here. I had a couple of random extra heavy bleeds then nothing else. I got checked out to make sure all was OK because of my medical history but they said I wouldn’t be prescribed HRT. Fortunately I’ve been fine, and so happy to be done with menstruation!

timetogo2016 Fri 29-Apr-22 23:26:41

I was advised by my then Gp not to go it around 20 years ago.
No problems at all.

lemsip Fri 29-Apr-22 23:33:28

a new doctor took me off of it saying he (yes a man) didn't believe in it! about twenty years ago too

Sago Fri 29-Apr-22 23:33:46

No, I had a form of cancer in my 30’s so I’ve kept off it.

Rosie51 Fri 29-Apr-22 23:37:25

Because of previous cancers I was never a candidate for HRT, although being in osteopenia I'd have probably benefitted. Thankfully the night sweats have abated, but I still 'sleep warm' although this is mitigated by arms and legs outside the duvet. Who'd be a woman eh? ? My periods were quite obliging last one two weeks after my 50th birthday, then nothing ever again grin the sudden cessation very much like my mum. She suffered horrendous heavy bleeding lasting 10 days with two weeks in between, then stopped, like turning a tap off
she said.

Kate1949 Fri 29-Apr-22 23:40:46

A doctor put me on it when I was 45 for very heavy periods. Patches. It made my hair fall out. That was over 25 years ago. Maybe it's different now.

Pepper59 Sat 30-Apr-22 01:31:51

My menopause was pure hell. I could not go on HRT due to a family history of breast cancer. Mind you, if you need to come of the HRT you go through all the menopause symptoms again. There was just not enough information provided by the Health Centre.

Ailsa43 Sat 30-Apr-22 01:37:56

Nope not on it either, never have been

mokryna Sat 30-Apr-22 01:41:40

I asked for it 20 years ago but the doctor said it caused cancer.
I am quite jealous of those who have had a success with it because of all the hot flushes I had in classes while teaching and sleepless nights. Maybe I could have reacted better towards everyone and be having a healthier life regarding aging both mentally and physically. Is an over 70 year old too old to start?

FarNorth Sat 30-Apr-22 02:34:17

Another one here who's never had hrt and had very little trouble with menopause.
Also good hair colour still.

My DD has hideous periods and I hope she doesn't have a hideous menopause too.

DollyD Sat 30-Apr-22 02:44:35

Had a very uneventful menopause, with periods gradually petering out in my early fifties, so taking Hrt never entered my head.
Some posters mentioned hair colour and like them, I have very little grey.
Lucky I suppose.

Tricia2 Sat 30-Apr-22 02:48:34

Not on HRT due to breast cancer. The medicine I’m on stops all estrogen. Doctor said estrogen is like fertilizer for the cancer.

nanna8 Sat 30-Apr-22 06:04:34

I've never been on it. The doctor I had at the time said it was associated with cancer and that was enough to put me right off!

grandMattie Sat 30-Apr-22 06:40:08

I loved being on HRT. I had the most appalling mood swings, being either murderous or suicidal.. my poor family.
I was on it for 5 years, that was before they decided it was ok to keep going on it.
Once off, I had a good year or so of hot flushes, not pleasant…
When I asked my elder sister how she was getting on with the menopause, she said, “what’s that?” I could have killed her! ?