Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well, he picked a good time to do it!

(50 Posts)
JO4 Wed 25-Jul-12 09:15:06

11 year old boy stows away on aeroplane from Manchester airport. Security failure

The presenter on the Today programme seemed to think he has a good career in front of him! He didn't say as what. confused

JO4 Wed 25-Jul-12 09:16:21

I wonder what happened to that other boy who used to be always doing it. Peter somebody I think. He went on the Channel 4 programme The Word. If I remember rightly.

AlisonMA Wed 25-Jul-12 09:19:40

It just shows how good we are at security! Does anyone know why he did it?

kittylester Wed 25-Jul-12 09:25:12

He's an 11 year old boy, Alison!

nanaej Wed 25-Jul-12 09:29:49

Cynical me says 'was it a set up?' rather than an individual kid who thought he'd do it for a laugh..though I have met several 11 year olds who might!

nightowl Wed 25-Jul-12 10:06:56

I think it may not be an isolated incident; as JO4 says there was another boy who used to do it. Through my job I am aware of another child who made his way halfway across the world and ended up here in the care system. He was not an asylum seeker, just an adventurer. He had visited several countries en route and seemed to be having a whale of a time. He didn't actually like being in care and the last I heard he had run away to London - he could be anywhere by now.

whenim64 Wed 25-Jul-12 10:11:15

He's a local boy who was only less than a mile from the airport when he ran off whilst shopping with his mum. You do see a lot of local children watching planes land, both inside and at the perimeter of the runway fencing. The airport is right next to a massive housing estate, where he lives - a matter of yards away at some points. Locals do go in the airport for drinks and meals, including fast food, as it's nicer than local facilities around the estate. I wouldn't be surprsed if he's familiar with quite a few areas around the airport.

nightowl Wed 25-Jul-12 10:53:46

Thanks for that info when - it does sound as though in this case the boy was more of an opportunist who perhaps was already familiar with the airport and went on an adventure. It's still rather frightening that he could get past so many security checks.

JO4 Wed 25-Jul-12 11:20:21

Would you feel proud of him if he was your grandson?

I think I would. Angry of course, because of the danger he could have been in, but secretly proud of the initiative.

Anagram Wed 25-Jul-12 11:27:44

I'd be worried that he'd do it again.

whenim64 Wed 25-Jul-12 11:57:18

I would be scared witless! Having been through Palma airport with a 12/13 year old who gave us the slip and got through passport control without documents, the scenarios that run through your mind are terrible. The Spanish police were frantic, too. Fortunately, he had tagged on with cousins and uncle who didn't think to check with his parents that the right children were with the right adults.

vampirequeen Wed 25-Jul-12 13:37:54

I think the airport should take him on as a security consultant because he obviously sees ways around their systems.

Anagram Wed 25-Jul-12 13:52:28

People always assume a child is with someone, so if he tagged along with another family and no head-count was made....

goldengirl Thu 26-Jul-12 08:12:02

As a Grandparent and Parent I'd be frantic but I have to admire this young fellow's pluck. He's certainly stirred up a hornet's nest and I have to say I have a cynical smile on my face. I had to jump through hoops just to get into my hotel recently yet they weren't interested in a pair of scissors in my bag which I thought strange. The authorities must be wetting themselves!

Greatnan Thu 26-Jul-12 08:20:50

I still wonder why UK security thought I could overcome the crew of a plane with my tweezers - and of course I immediately felt that horrible stiff little hair on my chin! They seem to have learned a bit of commonsense now.

AlisonMA Thu 26-Jul-12 09:24:55

For years I carried around a small sharp object at the bottom of my laptop bag without realising it and got through security many times until eventually a vigilant seccurity guy found it.

Last time I flew I was pulled up for having a lip salve in my handbag and given a plastic bag to put it in. By then of course I was through security and didn't need it! I must say how nice they were about it at Birmingham Airport, staff there are always polite and pleasant. We are flying from T3 at LHR on Saturday so don't expect that to be pleasant at all!

Lilygran Thu 26-Jul-12 10:39:31

Didn't Tony Blair claim to have done this as a child? Perhaps that's the future career the presenter had in mind.

absentgrana Thu 26-Jul-12 10:43:34

Lilygran Tony Blair claimed to have done all sorts of things as a child including, I think, seeing a footballer play although he had died some years before Tony Blair was born. Mind you, that's nothing to his wife's claim of "four times a night Tony, every night".

Nonu Thu 26-Jul-12 11:35:00

He also claimed cherie helped with the olympic bid , I noticed of late he"s started popping up here and there and spouting on

goldengirl Thu 26-Jul-12 11:55:04

The Queen had to include him in a lunch date recently I believe along with 3 other Prime Ministers including Sir John Major who could possibly be one of her favourites? He's certainly doesn't put himself about - well not politically anyway blush

JO4 Thu 26-Jul-12 12:00:46

goldengirl grin

Nonu Thu 26-Jul-12 12:06:24

Goldengirl , whatever do you mean ???? L A L

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-12 12:11:50

I was thinking the same nanaej . Either this is one hell of a precocious 11 year old or else it was set up by someone else.

I mean honestly what 11 year old do you know who would dare to sneak on board a plane like that?

Fishy ! hmm

nanaej Thu 26-Jul-12 12:21:06

Apparently he claims he just needed the toilet so went looking for one! Can't believe he did not notice he was on a plane! So he is either very clever or very stupid!!

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 12:22:49

What would be the point of a 'set-up'? confused