Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well, he picked a good time to do it!

(51 Posts)
JO4 Wed 25-Jul-12 09:15:06

11 year old boy stows away on aeroplane from Manchester airport. Security failure

The presenter on the Today programme seemed to think he has a good career in front of him! He didn't say as what. confused

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-12 12:26:45

Publicity Anagram what better way to attract the attention of the media?

I wonder what his next stunt will be?

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 12:42:51

Hmmm....I'm not so sure.

whenim64 Thu 26-Jul-12 13:07:27

Apparently his parents have said he has learning difficulties and does run away a lot.

glammanana Thu 26-Jul-12 13:53:49

If it's true and this boy does have learning difficulties he would not realise the danger he was in surely,he may have just joined in with a family with children and tagged along without being aware of where he was going.His poor mum must have been distraught worrying where he was,I bet some heads will roll on the security desks though.

JO4 Thu 26-Jul-12 13:55:03

nanaej grin

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-12 13:56:19

It just doesn't add up for me I'm afraid. A typical 11 year old might run away to their grans or to a friends or even to the other end of town, but to go through airport security and board a flight???????????

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 14:04:11

It's happened before....

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-12 14:26:38

BBC radio 2 just announced, "Family not available for comment as have just sold story to national newspaper !"

I rest my case.

Nonu Thu 26-Jul-12 14:29:59

Well , well , well , there"s a surprise

whenim64 Thu 26-Jul-12 14:58:32

Mum has just been interviewed on north west news. Comes across as very upset and blaming airport staff. I get the impression her son is hyperactive and prone to extreme emotional outburts when he gets upset. Earlier in the day there was some sort of altercation in the swimmng baths and they went shopping afterwards, from where he ran away.

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 15:21:56

Yes, not cynical foreplanning IMO!

Ella46 Thu 26-Jul-12 15:29:38

The council estate that he lives on is well known, not in a particularly good way!
My first husband (Manchester CID) went to house there and found they had a goat living in the front room!

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-12 16:16:32

grinElla46

I absolutely knew there would be some money making via they media involved.
hate myself for being so cynical.

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 16:28:39

Yes, but after the event!

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-12 16:34:17

Well it could hardly take place before hand could it anagram or the airport would have been looking out for him ! grin

Greatnan Thu 26-Jul-12 16:35:41

I remember that story from the USA where a little boy was supposed to have gone up with a balloon of some kind - he gave the game away at an interview and I think his parents were prosecuted.

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-12 16:38:17

I remember that too Greatnan there are some seriously strange people about.

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 16:39:36

I meant that they have cashed in after the event, gillybob.

Time will tell whether your suspicions are correct.

Nonu Thu 26-Jul-12 17:04:14

If it was a scam , there must have been someone on the aircraft in on it [hmmm]

JO4 Thu 26-Jul-12 18:26:26

Just doesn't add up does it. To be a scam I mean. Not possible.

Hope the mum does get loads of dosh from the newspapers though. smile

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 18:28:55

grin

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-12 18:41:10

Not sure that is a good idea JO4 . It sends out the message that if you pull a stupid stunt like this you will get lots of money. Now we all know there is a certain type of person (thinking that awful Matthews woman) who will click onto this with goodness knows what consequences.

Nonu Thu 26-Jul-12 18:54:02

Bet they WILL get a lorra money , for the HEARTACHE they have suffered sad

nanaej Thu 26-Jul-12 21:18:59

Hmm.. still not convinced it was just a mistake... I was looking for a toilet.. I saw a plane so I thought I'd look round... I opened the door and we were in the air...He's a vulnerable boy.. it was easier than doing homework or computer games.. etc etc

Even allowing for the press mis-reporting / lack of accuracy it seems a rum do as my nana would hav e said. Having said that security does seem to have been lax!

vampirequeen Thu 26-Jul-12 22:23:56

I have no doubt he knew what he was doing. He was just being a little devil seeing how far he could get and I bet to his amazement he ended up with a free flight.

As for selling the story....well that's the world we live in. Also once you've signed with a particular paper they make sure no one else gets near you rather than having the media camping outside your house.