Gransnet forums

News & politics

Appalling News

(140 Posts)
BAnanas Wed 22-May-13 18:07:44

There has been a vicious attack in Woolwich, SE London where a serving soldier has been hacked to death in broad daylight. This poor young man who was wearing a "Help for Heros" t shirt was attacked with a meat cleaver. This terrible incident took place in broad daylight very near a primary school. According to BBC news this is now being treated as a terrorist attack.

BAnanas Wed 22-May-13 18:14:51

ooops should have typed "Heroes" unbelievably awful so sorry for the victim and his family.

j08 Wed 22-May-13 18:20:44

Oh my God!!! What next? sad

NannaB Wed 22-May-13 18:21:22

I feel so sorry for the family of this man - what a dreadful way to die and happening on the streets of London.

merlotgran Wed 22-May-13 18:30:31

He was decapitated. How terrible for his family.

Mishap Wed 22-May-13 18:37:58

This is appalling - quite beyond belief.

nigglynellie Wed 22-May-13 18:39:18

This is truly dreadful news. I don't think anyone can comprehend the terror that young man went tnrough. It's just too awful to put into words. What on earth is happeninng to our beautiful country.

j08 Wed 22-May-13 18:44:28

I can't believe the BBC reporter spoke to a ten year old boy about it! That's just not on.

merlotgran Wed 22-May-13 18:50:26

Over on ITV they showed footage of a man filming and being spoken to by one of the attackers who was waving blood soaked weapons about. You'd think he'd have run a mile.

Nelliemoser Wed 22-May-13 19:07:13

JO8 Unfortunately I can believe that a reporter might ask such questions. some of them are unscrupulous. It is just not on!
It fits the story (?if fact) about a reporter an African massacre who is said to have been heard shouting "Has anyone here been raped and speaks English."

I was not happy about the way a BBC reporter was quizzing a woman eyewitness, he seemed to be trying to get her to disclose any gory details she might have seen. That seemed to me to be showing a lack of dignity and respect in what is an appalling situation.

whenim64 Wed 22-May-13 19:09:43

merlot it's been reported that one of the alleged terrorists was doing the filming at the behest of the one who was still attacking the victim.

Tegan Wed 22-May-13 19:11:43

An expert on terrorism has just said that the news media should not be showing the film of the blood soaked man and yet I have just heard a recording of what he said on R5 Live. She said we are just playing into their hands by broadcasting this. I hope someone pays heed to what she has said. Can't begin to explain how sorry I feel for this man and his family. Is there no value to a life any more?

merlotgran Wed 22-May-13 19:27:08

Thanks, when. They didn't make that clear at the time.

Minty Wed 22-May-13 19:44:51

Thoughts and prayers.

j08 Wed 22-May-13 19:47:53

Yes.

feetlebaum Wed 22-May-13 19:52:00

Thoughts, anyway.

celebgran Wed 22-May-13 20:20:11

Omg that is horrendous! Not seen news yet

Elegran Wed 22-May-13 21:17:27

Nellie I think that "anyone here . . ." quote was from "Drop the Dead Donkey" - not a true story. Though sometimes you could believe it!

Deedaa Wed 22-May-13 22:14:43

The quote was used as the title of a book about war reporting that my mother had, but whether it was true or not I don't know.

Hadn't seen any news today so had missed this! Some things really are beyond words.

tanith Wed 22-May-13 22:28:28

Simply sickening!

grannyactivist Wed 22-May-13 23:02:47

sad

j08 Wed 22-May-13 23:34:58

The woman who talked to the attackers, and the women who shielded the body, were very brave.

Nelliemoser Wed 22-May-13 23:37:14

Deedaa! It can so aptly describe a style of war, or an other reporting. I was not sure if it was true or apocryphal, but it still makes the point.

grannyactivist Thu 23-May-13 01:03:31

Can't sleep; can't get this poor man's family out of my mind and am quite tearful about it. Such a sad, needless, senseless waste of a life!
I was visiting my daughter for a family dinner when we heard the news this evening and she was so upset - the anniversary of her first husband's death is next Sunday and even though she is now very happily re-married, this time of year is very hard for her. We were both thinking of some poor family getting the knock at the door to inform them of his death and we felt so very, very sad for what they will have to face. sad

gillybob Thu 23-May-13 07:34:52

I have not seen any TV news coverage of this horrendous event (nor do I wish to) but I think it is important for the news to be broadcast as it is (appropriate to the time of day of course) and not to be "dumbed down" to make for easier viewing. This is news, it actually happened on the streets of Britain in 2013 and I wonder (like many of us) what the hell is this country coming to? I wonder is this the result of being politically correct? Is this the result of allowing anyone and everyone over our borders? Is this the result of allowing hate to be openly preached on our streets and not having the courage to stand up and say enough is enough?

If political leaders don't do something about this soon, what a horrible country our grandchildren will inherit.

My thoughts are with the family of this poor young man. sad