Gransnet forums

News & politics

kathleen turner - get over it!

(28 Posts)
rockgran Sat 21-Dec-13 17:47:54

Did anyone else find it refreshing that Kathleen Turner is not desperately trying to stay gorgeous and young looking and accepts that the advancing years do alter your looks. I sometimes wonder when I will be old enough to just be happy looking clean and tidy without worrying if my "aged" appearance is offending anyone! tchshock

Enviousamerican Sat 21-Dec-13 18:00:54

Diane Keaton is also aging naturally.Of course Kathleen has had her problems with very painful rheumatoid arthritis and alcohol to deal with making facial surgery most likely the last thing on her mind.

Nonu Sat 21-Dec-13 18:01:47

Rock you say the sweetis things ! love it .

XX

Nonu Sat 21-Dec-13 18:04:21

Hi Envious , you are good ??
I am , looking forward to family arriving Tuesday !

tchsmile

Ana Sat 21-Dec-13 18:20:10

I read the article about Kathleen Turner as well, rockgran, and it was heartening to hear someone who was once known for her glamorous image saying it doesn't matter a fig to her that she's lost her looks.

Despite her health problems, she's still acting and has a new film coming out soon!

rockgran Sat 21-Dec-13 19:15:33

Thanks, Nonu. flowers

janeainsworth Sat 21-Dec-13 19:26:01

Can someone post a link to the article or give us a clue where it might be?
confused

thatbags Sat 21-Dec-13 19:31:05

This one, perhaps?

thatbags Sat 21-Dec-13 19:32:53

Bang on: "You have to get to that place as a woman where you know your worth isn't dependent on (looks)."

Enviousamerican Sat 21-Dec-13 20:08:54

PM'd you Nonu.smile

janeainsworth Sat 21-Dec-13 20:26:21

Thanks Bags Susan Greenfield could take a leaf out of Kathleen Turner's book, couldn't she?

Tegan Sat 21-Dec-13 21:02:21

Then again Susan Greenfield never commented on the fact that any man that 'doesn't fancy her when she walks into a room must be gay' [at least I don't think she 's ever said that]. I never thought Kathleen Turner was all that good looking anyway. I HATE looking old [and if anyone had told me a few years ago that I would say that I would never have believed themsad].

feetlebaum Sat 21-Dec-13 21:55:10

Ktahleen Turner has that voice...

numberplease Sat 21-Dec-13 23:25:19

You looking old Tegan? Which mirror are you looking in?

Ariadne Sun 22-Dec-13 07:59:26

Who is Kathleen Turner, please? Sounds like a sensible woman! (I am renowned in the family for not knowing who well known people are..."Oh mum! You know, she \ he is etc.")

Kiora Sun 22-Dec-13 08:29:06

I hate looking 60 too. I just do. I look in the mirror ( as little as possible) and think " god I look terrible" but there's nothing I can do about it. I have recently had my hair dyed a fairly dark brown nothing as dark as my younger slimmer self. My hair dresser has given me that style that's fashionable now. Flat with a Side parting and a longer angled side fringe. I sometimes think if I grew a moustache ( and I could if I want to believe me) Id look like bloody hitler. Those women with long graceful necks and beautiful silver hair can look lovely as they age. This cannot be said for small, short necked battleship grey people like me. I'v got no wrinkles but I'm getting jowls and look as if I'm gurning all the time . I look marginally better if I smile but then if I do that I'll be locked up. In my defence I have grandchildren who's faces light up when they see me and tell me over and over how lovely I am. Oh the absolute joy of beloved grandchildren who see with their hearts and not their eyes.

Sewsilver Sun 22-Dec-13 08:37:53

Kiora, what a lovely thing to say " grandchildren who see with their hearts and not their eyes" you have brightened my day. Thank you

rockgran Sun 22-Dec-13 08:47:54

Ariadne - Kathleen Turner was in a lot of films with Michael Douglas - war of the roses? - I also thought she was gorgeous in Peggy Sue got married.

Kiora - I agree with you that short and dumpy (me) isn't ideal but I do think a smile is the best face lift. Also I try to look up - luckily I have a tall husband - and not down if I can help it. I see my grandmother in the mirror - can be quite scary. Looking back she was only in her fifties but looked ancient to me as a child. At least we are allowed brighter colours nowadays and more flattering hairstyles. Another helpful thing is that my husband is 7 years older so he always thinks I'm young. Bless him. smile

whenim64 Sun 22-Dec-13 08:54:34

I loved her as Joan Wilder in those films with Michael Douglas. Watched them all with my children in the 80s.

Humbertbear Sun 22-Dec-13 10:21:28

My grandmother once said to me that she felt like a young woman trapped in an old body and I now know what she means. When I look in the mirror I think I look good but I have recently noticed my friends are all looking old so I think I must be too. No one offered me a seat on the tube the other day so I can't have looked too bad!

Mishap Sun 22-Dec-13 12:03:24

Thanks for letting us know who she is! - I hadn't a clue.

I am 65 - in some ways I look 65 (drooping chins, skeleton-like smile, lips vanishing before my very eyes) but in others I do not (slimmish, very dark brown long hair with no grey, and not too may wrinkles yet).

However - I definitely FEEL 65 - if not a bit older! Life is one long pain.

I do not get my knickers in a twist about what I see in the mirror - there is nothing to be done and that is who I am - take me or leave me!

I keep smiling - thin lips notwithstanding!

Galen Sun 22-Dec-13 12:40:02

You look very young on your photo pagetchgrin

Ana Sun 22-Dec-13 12:53:38

Galen! tchgrin

Mishap Sun 22-Dec-13 14:03:42

Vanishingly young!

POGS Mon 23-Dec-13 13:25:12

It is a bit naughty of me to say this but I do like to see others 'not fairing so well' in the aging stakes, just like me. blush

I also feel a bit sad for them. When you have had a life style of glamour and being in the limelight it must be quite horrid to look at yourself in the 'I was beautiful once' sense. I should think watching yourself in a film you once did is quite a bitter sweet thing to do actually. Think of women such as Turner, Ginger Rogers, Elizabeth Taylor etc. They have fabulous memories of how beautiful they once were on camera and how they must feel looking in a mirror in their later years.

Yes I know looks are not everything and Kathleen Turner is bang on in her comment but it has to be said some women do fair better than others and I would think they would all prefer to be in the latter group.