Gransnet forums

News & politics

OTT police officer?

(39 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 09-Mar-15 23:25:52

A four year old was apparently threatened with having her cycle confiscated for riding her bike on the pavement.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-31805312

Crafting Tue 10-Mar-15 19:57:53

Where I live we are in constant danger of being run over by adult cyclists on the pavement. So many people do it I thought the law had changed. To go after a small child is ridiculous - concentrate on the adults.

GrannyTwice Tue 10-Mar-15 20:39:11

Well as someone with mobility problems, I've got a different take on this - how wide was the pavement? Did the little girl know to stop if there was a pedestrian on the pavement coming towards her? What did she do when she was coming up behind a pedestrian? I can't get out of the way of anyone on a cycle or scooter - they have to stop or get out of my way and that's exactly how it should be. Why can't she walk and use her bike in the park on a cycle path?

ninathenana Tue 10-Mar-15 23:49:58

Grannytwice I sympathise with you but if she lived here, the nearest thing that could pass for a park is 10miles away (a field with two football pitches and a small playground ) No pathways let alone designated cycle paths.

GrannyTwice Tue 10-Mar-15 23:55:25

Well we just know enough do we about her individual circumstances ? But either way, I really don't think that a small child's wish to ride her cycle should trump pedestrian rights to walk safely on the pavement.

granjo39 Wed 11-Mar-15 08:57:21

During a pleasant stroll along the tow path of the Regents canal with DD and baby Gs a cyclist came up close behind me,scared me to death and I nearly ended up in the canal. I was very cross and remarked to DD that he should have rung his bell. DD replied that he DID ring his bell Mum.Oops.hmm I really must start wearing my hearing aid.

GrannyTwice Wed 11-Mar-15 09:03:37

Why should a pedestrian get out of the way for a cyclist - bell or no bell?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 11-Mar-15 09:09:13

Grannytwice how fast do you reckon she was going on her little bike with her stabilisers? confused And I seem to remember bikes with stabilisers make one hell of a racket. I think you would have been ok. (unless she knew you and was aiming) smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 11-Mar-15 09:16:01

I nearly got knocked down by a bike yesterday - a bloody big one it was too. Ridden by a giant of a man. Why do men have to go so effin' fast?! confused shock

ninathenana Wed 11-Mar-15 09:35:41

DD lives in a very quiet cul-de-sac where parking is a premium. I parked last week and DGS got out and sensibly went and stood on the pavement. Seconds later there was a screech of brakes as a boy of about 13 shot out of his drive and rode along the pavement and missed DGS by inches. DGS would have been safer in the road !

Adults and older children riding on pavements annoy me but I expect very young children to ride on the pavement.

GrannyTwice Wed 11-Mar-15 10:02:21

I would go so far as to say that a very young child with stabilisers could ride on a wide pavement with an adult who taught her/ him to stop and make way for pedestrians.

GrannyTwice Wed 11-Mar-15 10:03:14

Unless they are taught that, they may turn into the entitled horrors described above

annodomini Wed 11-Mar-15 10:23:40

My GSs were allowed to cycle on pavements on the way home from school, with their mum walking behind. They had to stop at every second lamp post and wait for her to catch up and as it was a straight road, they could see any pedestrians. Nowadays their dad takes them out and they are very well trained in road riding.

gillybob Wed 11-Mar-15 11:01:44

My first reaction to this headline was to laugh. Surely it can't be true. Can it? Was the PO really suggesting a four year old child on a tiny bike should negotiate the main road? Complete idiot. No wonder a lot of people are losing their respect for the police.