Gransnet forums

News & politics

I've voted. You?

(83 Posts)
thatbags Thu 07-May-15 08:12:53

Tick! Or do I mean X? smile

J52 Thu 07-May-15 13:54:10

I've just voted. Interestingly there were no party workers outside the Polling Station. I remember years when there were party workers taking exit vote counts. x

Pittcity Thu 07-May-15 14:15:23

I think Social media has taken over from the loudhailers. It's as old fashioned as reading the news from a piece of paper!

I used to sit outside on election day many moons ago. We were only interested in who had voted, not who they had voted for. This was so the party activists could knock on the doors of those who had yet to vote and maybe offer them a lift.

Mishap Thu 07-May-15 14:28:58

Yes - I have done my bit. But I will confess to putting a line through the local ballot paper, as I would be more than happy to have none of them!

The two officers were sitting in the village hall with the electric heaters blasting our full tilt - and they were just in shirt sleeves. I get quite wound up about such things - what a waste of power - all they needed to do was wear a jumper!

jollyg Thu 07-May-15 14:30:41

Went up this am to vote. 10 am

Post here comes about 12.30 pm.

I received a billetdoux from our local Tory candidate , 2nd class stamp asking for my support .

Have the Tories missed a trick as to time of post arrival

Mind you it could have arrived tomorrow!!!

Pittcity Thu 07-May-15 16:15:27

Apparently UKIP are out with a megaphone in Tiptree. Where's Pompa?

kittylester Thu 07-May-15 16:16:47

Just been and I've never seen the ballot boxes looking so full - wonder if there have been more people casting votes overall. A friend who was working in the polling station said she thought it had been busier than previous years.

We also had local Council elections but there were only 2 candidates for the Parish Council to replace the 2 retirees. Most of the Parish Council are at least my age and I find it very sad that there are no young people coming forward.

rosequartz Thu 07-May-15 16:39:39

Apparently UKIP are out with a megaphone in Tiptree

Are they allowed to canvass today? I thought they weren't allowed to on election day.

loopylou Thu 07-May-15 16:42:33

Done at 7.00, second one in.
Wanted to get it over with.
Early start at work! smile

Ana Thu 07-May-15 16:44:19

I don't think it's against the law, rose. Some areas don't do it, but in others it's no holds barred!

rosequartz Thu 07-May-15 16:48:40

Oh, DH said it was as we wandered down and all seemed quiet.
I'll tell him he's wrong grin

TerriBull Thu 07-May-15 16:54:55

I voted late this morning and then went to pick up granddaughter to take her to the park, her school being a polling station so she had the day off. I asked her mother whether she had, or is going to vote later, answer "no I'm not interested". Sadly I think there are quite a few younger people who are totally unaware of the sacrifice that so many women went through so that future generations of women are able to vote.

annodomini Thu 07-May-15 16:54:58

Yes they can go out with a loudspeaker van on election day. I don't know if anyone takes any notice - you'd think people would be fed up by now.

henetha Thu 07-May-15 19:22:41

I voted late afternoon and there was actually a small traffic jam.... a rare sight in our village! People were trying to park right outside the polling station instead of having the sense to park up the road a bit and walk back...
The polling station staff said they had been very busy all day... brilliant! People who don't bother to vote make me so cross!

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 20:08:15

We live in Tiptree, not heard any canvassers.

Tegan Thu 07-May-15 20:19:48

I was undecided right up to the last minute but am pleased about my decision now as I've just spoken to DD who said the Conservative candidate was quite patronising to her when she knocked on her door and, when she told her that she wouldn't be voting for her, told her that the 'woman two doors away was voting Conservative' which I think was breaking a confidence angry.

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 20:19:50

Re-take on that, reliably informed by the boss that they were shouting something earlier, but she couldn't hear what they were saying.

Soutra Thu 07-May-15 20:28:27

That would be Mrs Bogoff?

Ana Thu 07-May-15 20:29:20

Pompa? grin

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 20:33:46

Pompa ? Wasn't that the sexist, pompous, old git that stormed off never to return ?

Ana Thu 07-May-15 20:36:37

Well, he may have stormed off, but...

Anyway, how would you know, Bogoff, you haven't been here five minutes! wink

Soutra Thu 07-May-15 20:38:49

hmm hmm

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 20:39:44

I read the threads - how else would I know.

Soutra Thu 07-May-15 20:41:33

Maybe Pompa's next door neighbour wink

Ana Thu 07-May-15 20:47:01

Or Mrs Pompa?

thatbags Thu 07-May-15 20:48:24

I'm not sure it's breaking a confidence, tegan. Is telling a canvasser which way you're going to vote a 'confidence' or a confidence trick? One might be lying, after all, just make them shut up and go away.