Gransnet forums

News & politics

Indian sisers

(34 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 29-Aug-15 09:18:16

I have just read an appalling piece of news on line that several newspapers are carrying. A brother of two young sisters in India has run off with a married woman from a higher caste. I gather where they live is a rural part of India that is presided over by tribal elders. It seems that these elderly males have deemed that a quid pro quo punishment for this so called transgression on the part of the young man and they have deemed that his two young sisters should be gang raped and then paraded naked through their village. Surely the Indian government could step in and stop such a vile atrocity happening? I realise that India is a vast country that has an enormous disparity between the role it plays, as one of the most important economic players on the world stage, and the small parochial communities that live their lives in a bygone era. This deep rooted misogyny is very disturbing. Is there a petition that could be presented to the Indian Government to stop this sort of thing happening?

I

TerriBull Sat 29-Aug-15 13:25:21

Yes lets just hope they are kept safe. Whilst it must be hard for them to leave their familiar day to day lives, I think they must stay in Delhi until they are guaranteed a safe return to their community.

If these courts are illegal I think India must do more to ensure that is the case, if necessary, punitive sentences for perpetrators who take it upon themselves to dole out such punishments to make others think twice. India has come so far so quickly, but instances like this, illustrate they have a long way to go in some areas.

Lona Sat 29-Aug-15 13:45:35

Petition signed.

Jane10 Sat 29-Aug-15 14:38:13

After I signed the petition I got a follow up email with a link so I could share it on Facebook. A good way to spread the news and get lots more signatures

Anya Sat 29-Aug-15 15:04:01

Signed.

Anya Sat 29-Aug-15 15:07:58

Even if the girls are safe and choose to return to their village, the power of this petition and the hundreds of thousands of voices behind it, should keep them safe (I hope) and send a clear message to these morons.

FarNorth Sat 29-Aug-15 15:10:35

Words fail me.
I've signed.

durhamjen Tue 22-Sep-15 20:36:45

www.amnesty.org.uk/issues/Action-for-individuals

The sisters have been saved. They do not feel safe enough to return to their village, but are safe, thanks to Amnesty and all those who signed.

Eloethan Tue 22-Sep-15 23:38:25

That's brilliant.