Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbot had an affair?

(124 Posts)
NotTooOld Thu 17-Sep-15 17:22:52

Just read about this on the internet. I think it said it was in the 1970s. Can it be true?

whitewave Thu 17-Sep-15 18:42:50

Now I have this picture blush

TriciaF Thu 17-Sep-15 18:46:55

grin I wonder if Jeremy is a Grandad? If so we could invite him to join this forum. [wink ]

Gracesgran Thu 17-Sep-15 19:03:18

The media really are scraping the barrel. The need to feed the news monster again.

Luckygirl Thu 17-Sep-15 19:05:24

Michael Portillo is bi apparently. I had him down as gay.

Anniebach Thu 17-Sep-15 19:06:58

Then rosequartz the marriage was over, I really don't think mocking Diane Abbot is fair, she was a single twenty something , if they did have a relationship then no surprise given their political views.

janeainsworth Thu 17-Sep-15 19:22:14

"The couple reportedly went on a tour of East Germany together on a motorbike."

I suppose it's more acceptable than staying in Berlusconi's villa wink

Anniebach Thu 17-Sep-15 19:43:41

They were not MP's in the seventies . Compare a young couple such as these two with Boris Johnson and his affairs

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 17-Sep-15 19:56:39

If neither was married then it's fine.

(they'll be so glad to get my approval)

whitewave Thu 17-Sep-15 19:59:08

This is so not a news story

rosequartz Thu 17-Sep-15 20:03:49

Then rosequartz the marriage was over, I really don't think mocking Diane Abbot is fair, she was a single twenty something , if they did have a relationship then no surprise given their political views.

In what earthly way am I mocking Diane Abbott?
Or are you just determined to have a go and pick me up whatever I say about JBC annie??

Diane Abbott is fascinating - she can look quite glamorous on the tv or like a bag lady in some photos.
I do not say that in a derogatory fashion, looking like a bag lady much of the time myself and quite happy with that look thanks.
JBC is quite intriguing too.

janeainsworth Thu 17-Sep-15 21:17:21

annie I do apologise.
East Germany must have been a rather grim holiday destination in the late 70's, and the vision I had of a young JC and DA travelling round the country on a motorbike staying at budget hotels rather amused me.
I'll try not to be so flippant in futurehmm

Devorgilla Thu 17-Sep-15 21:22:46

They were both out of their other relationships at the time as I understand it, and consenting adults, so no problem in my book.

Anne58 Thu 17-Sep-15 21:38:50

Do you think he kept his vest on?

Ana Thu 17-Sep-15 21:42:41

grin

petra Thu 17-Sep-15 22:01:15

He certainly knew how to impress: East Germany on a motorbike, doesn't get much better than that.

feetlebaum Thu 17-Sep-15 22:27:52

@phoenix - More likely his socks...

trisher Thu 17-Sep-15 22:48:02

All this because he didn't intervene in an argument between two women-he would have been condemned if he had of course. I don't care who he had an affair with 40 years ago. Mind you you could play a game-the most unlikely coupling possible amongst MPs
Jeremy and Theresa May-now that would be news!

fluttERBY123 Thu 17-Sep-15 22:49:05

LOL Love the vest and socks. More flippancy, please.

Ana Thu 17-Sep-15 23:01:24

Yes, I think it's more than likely he kept both his vest and socks on.

Must have been a bit parky in East Germany and of course he'd have been conscious even then of the importance of conserving energy.

Anniebach Thu 17-Sep-15 23:29:46

rosequartz , I do apologise , I didn't mean you had mocked Diane Abbot, I was speaking to you about general comments made

Anniebach Thu 17-Sep-15 23:34:04

I didn't go to Germany but surely I can't be the only female here who went away for a break with a chap on a motorbike, you missed fun ladies

Anniebach Thu 17-Sep-15 23:44:30

Corbyn and Abbot had a relationship in their twenties , both went on to become MP's.

David Cameron and Laura Adshead had a relationship , he went on to become an MP she went on to be an alcoholic and drug addict before entering a convent

How different roads couples lead after breaking up

whitewave Fri 18-Sep-15 08:50:15

Well you would wouldn't you annie - want to enter a convent after such a relationship.

gettingonabit Fri 18-Sep-15 09:05:27

It seems as though the media are getting really desperate to do JC down, and it's only been a week! So far, he's been pulled up on:

Not singing the National Anthem.
Not bowing to the Queen (possibly).
Wearing an ill-fitted jacket at PMQ.
Being measured and non-combative at PMQ.
Having a perfectly reasonable-sounding relationship with a woman 40 years ago.
Photographing manhole covers as a hobby.

None of these things, in my view, impact in the slightest on how he does his job.

Leave him alone!!

rosequartz Fri 18-Sep-15 09:21:49

Apology accepted, annie smile

Only had a boyfriend with a motorbike for a short while - not the best way to arrive at a party, wet and dishevelled with 'crash helmet hair'!

That's the thing, though, isn't it, everything gets dragged up and dissected ad nauseum once someone is in the limelight.