Gransnet forums

News & politics

Potential terrrorist with a conscience

(43 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 19-Nov-15 19:49:22

It seems that one of the Paris terrorists was seen in the gents staring at himself in the mirror, then turned and left the building and blew himself up in the street away from anyone else.

A waste of a life - a young person who had been brainwashed and then had the decency to turn away from it.

There are no winners.

Tegan Fri 20-Nov-15 11:59:21

I'd like to believe this as the terrorists have, in my mind, become mindless automatons [sp]. I do believe though, that they have started off with some kind of ideology and then been brainwashed [in the way that anyone has to be, up to a point, if they are to become a killing machine]. I would imagine that there is a point of no turning back once they follow their ideals, and that comes quite soon. And muslims the world over HAVE to be more vocal in their condemnation of these atrocities, because I'm not hearing it, and neither are IS sad. Today I can't stop thinking of those poor people who, one week ago had no idea what was about to happen; photos of them show people with so much to give to society

loopylou Fri 20-Nov-15 19:51:07

I agree Tegan, where's the united condemnation by Muslims, leaders and individuals?
Why aren't they taking to the streets showing a united front against IS?

Very disquieting I think.

Bennan Sat 21-Nov-15 08:37:24

I also saw the report about this terrorist and it did appear that the French chap really felt that his life had been spared by the actions of this misguided man. He said their eyes met in the mirror and then he just walked out and blew himself up! Surely he wouldn't have done this if he was intent on harming people, would he?

Anniebach Sat 21-Nov-15 09:36:38

Why should Muslims take to the streets ? They are not circus performers , what difference would it make? Are IS going to say - oh they disagree with our actions, we must stop.

The most is the EDL and the likes would be strutting their hatred at the same time.

Muslims have died in terrorist attacks , this seems to be forgotten

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Nov-15 09:48:58

I agree Anniebach. Someone on Question Time queried why muslims should be expected to speak out more than anyone else. IS are worlds away apart from most muslims in this country. It's no more their responsibility than it is non-muslims'.

Anniebach Sat 21-Nov-15 10:01:34

Jingle, little wonder many Muslims in this country keep within their own communities when they are thought of as 'not us' and we ask why young Muslims are easy prey for radicalisation, quite natural to have a need to belong, be part of.

Anya Sat 21-Nov-15 12:34:18

Muslims did take to the street in Paris and in Birmingham and doubtless in other places too. They joined in with others.

However there are reasons why Muslims need to speak out against this more than others. They are quick enough to condemn, quite publicly, and sometimes by issuing a fatwah, anyone who speaks out or mocks the 'prophet' - even moderate Muslims. I'd like to hear the same level of condemnation against those who kill in the name of the 'prophet' too.

But then I don't remember the Catholic Church or the Pope speaking out against the IRA during 'the troubles' .

Anya Sat 21-Nov-15 12:37:31

jingl did I imagine the terror attack oif 7/7? Or the murder of Lee Rigby?

IS might be 'worlds away' but their philosophy is here in this country today.

Luckygirl Sat 21-Nov-15 12:38:20

I think that moderate muslims who disagree with what is being done in the name of their religion should speak out loud and clear in a way that they are not yet doing. Who else has the power to influence the thoughts of the terrorists?

Anya Sat 21-Nov-15 12:39:02

And of course Anniebach blames 'this country' for the radicalisation of young Muslims.

rosesarered Sat 21-Nov-15 12:42:06

I agree, and I think it is important that Muslims show solidarity with the rest of us.Plus the fact that these acts are done in the name of Islam ( we know moderate Muslims do not agree with it) BUT they can stop inviting crazy clerics to speak at the mosques, and keep a careful eye on Islamic schools and their students.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Nov-15 12:45:33

Anya I meant IS are completely different from the general Muslim population of this country. (My post got a bit garbled)

7/7 And the awful happening to Lee Rigby, had nothing to do with them. There were Muslims on the tube trains.

Anya Sat 21-Nov-15 12:47:51

I see your point jingl but we have to accept there are Islamic extremists operating in this country, who support IS, get trained in terrorism and return here,

Luckygirl Sat 21-Nov-15 14:18:01

The terrorists are basing their actions on the teachings that they find in their holy texts - only people who thoroughly know and understand those texts and also live by them can persuade them that they are wrong. If we try to they will just say "Well you would say that wouldn't you." It needs people with Islamic credibility to try and turn them away from their violence; and they need to do it in a very open way, not only to succeed but to reassure non-Muslims.

durhamjen Sat 21-Nov-15 14:59:21

When the muslims were getting together in Molenbeek for a vigil outside the flat where Mohamed Abdeslam was putting out candles on the balcony, there was a reporter talking to the organiser of the vigils.
He said to her that there did not appear to be many muslims there considering it was the area where most muslims lived.
She did not give the obvious answer, which is "How do you know?"
He obviously thinks all muslims are instantly recognisable.

soontobe Sat 21-Nov-15 15:05:30

The terrorists are basing their actions on the teachings that they find in their holy texts

They are twisting the texts as far as I can make out, which is a bit different to saying it is the teachings.

only people who thoroughly know and understand those texts and also live by them can persuade them that they are wrong

I think the time is past actually.

* If we try to they will just say "Well you would say that wouldn't you." It needs people with Islamic credibility to try and turn them away from their violence; and they need to do it in a very open way, not only to succeed but to reassure non-Muslims.*

I think that that will have an effect on the very young who must be thinking about joining IS.

M0nica Sun 22-Nov-15 19:03:02

Since the ISIL followers believe everyone, including all other Muslims are heretics and 'kuffirs' they are not to going to listen to them either.

This nasty little collection of psychopathic nutters have no more in common with ordinary muslims than any other extremist sect that uses a religious adherence as a cloak of 'respectibility' for its vile and violent behaviour.

How catholic were the IRA or protestant the Loyalist Gangs of Belfast? In both cases nasty violent men and women used religion and a political cause as a excuse for living out their psychopathic fantasies.