Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump - just not fringe or funny anymore !?!

(218 Posts)
granjura Wed 09-Dec-15 12:21:29

Anyone else seriously concerned at the rise of Trump in the USA? It seems that the more extreme, the more crazy, the more fascist he and his 'solutions' become- the more his ratings go up. You would have thought that people would begin to think he is a loose and dangerous canon- but no- they love him all the more.

My mother was studying German at Munich University in 1933- and this is exactly what she described.

And we can't just say 'this is the USA' and it has little to do with us. We have no vote of course- but we certainly live in the same crazy world.

youtu.be/_rMsgmaBV8g

Monthy Python- they knew how to recognize a witch- but how on earth do you recognize a 'Muslim' ???

whitewave Thu 04-Feb-16 22:43:43

Probably something to do with Obama getting it

Cherrytree59 Sun 21-Feb-16 18:18:51

He's going build a wall
And "Mexico gonna pay for it"confused

whitewave Sun 21-Feb-16 21:52:26

He can't possibly win -- can he????shock

Deedaa Sun 21-Feb-16 22:02:39

My son in law is so glad he got British citizenship!

lynnie1 Sun 21-Feb-16 22:12:03

No it's not 'fringe' and it's not ' funny' I am quite alarmed by the increasing support of his vitriol

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-16 22:21:21

It's a country where school children are gunned down but they still want everyone to have the freedom to bear arms

pompa Sat 27-Feb-16 09:31:13

I fear Trump becoming President, would be the first step to WW3.

merlotgran Sat 27-Feb-16 09:43:54

If anything makes me vote to stay in Europe (I'm still not 100% sure) it's the thought of being joined at the hip with a country run by a lunatic.

There has always been anxiety regarding the leaders of countries like North Korea so the thought of a world superpower in the hands of a man with no smidgeon of measured control is scary beyond belief.

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 09:47:53

George W tried but Trump is even more terrifying pompa.
Certainly it would be the end of any so-called 'special relationship' hmm and a good reason for staying in the EU - although our referendum vote will be before their Presidential election of course.

We would be a satellite state and turned into one big golf course - no, not funny, I know, but the reality of him being elected is too frightening to think about.
What are the Americans thinking of?

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 09:49:53

X posts merlotgran - both with the same thought, I am also a EU ditherer but that prospect becoming reality would make me vote to stay in.

pompa Sat 27-Feb-16 10:19:55

"What are the Americans thinking of?"

America ! -- they don't consider the rest of the world as anything other than an enemy or at best an ally at their beck and call if the need it.

durhamjen Sat 27-Feb-16 13:16:11

One big golf course, Jalima?
Trump even got himself onto the sports pages because one of the big golf tournaments is not going to be held on his golf course this year.
My grandson was most upset.
Turnberry, it was. They decided Trump's reputation was so toxic that they could no longer hold the Open there in 2020.

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 14:38:25

One big golf course, Jalima?

Well, perhaps he will reinstate the Antonine Wall (Donaldine Wall?), so perhaps just Scotland will be one big golf course.
I understand he likes walls.

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 14:40:23

Eloethan could we ban him though?
Has he got a British passport (through his Scottish mother?)

durhamjen Sat 27-Feb-16 14:42:44

Turnberry is in Scotland, and has refused to let him give the cup in 2020.
Do you think if enough do that, he'll take his golfball home in a huff?

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 14:46:14

or shove it *** where the sun don't shine
(sorry, but he is ^just not fringe or funny any more^)

durhamjen Sat 27-Feb-16 14:57:35

Jalima!
My grandson says he would like to go to America, but he's frightened of meeting Trump. He doesn't want to go to Scotland since he read that article about the golf course.
Even an article about golf is accompanied by a photo of Trump, not the golf course, so it's hard to avoid seeing it.

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 15:08:50

shakes head in despair (not at your DGS, at Americans I hasten to add!).

However, I will say that we have no desire to go back to America, although I am sure the DGC would love the Disney theme place.

petra Sat 27-Feb-16 16:43:10

If you get the chance to see a film called 'Love a Latino' watch it.
It's a spoof about all the Mexican workers in California being kidnapped by aliens. California collapses without all the migrant workers, hilarious.

pompa Sun 28-Feb-16 12:34:05

Petra, the subject of that film is much closer to home. If we leave the EU, many of this countries agricultural areas would be hard pressed to find sufficient pickers for their crops, this is certainly true in our village and many parts of East Anglia. AND most important of all, where would I get my car cleaned ???

I doubt Trump can think past his own naval.

durhamjen Sun 28-Feb-16 15:07:46

My car as well, pompa. Never thought of that. Very efficient and I can do my shopping at the same time.

Ana Sun 28-Feb-16 15:15:40

Yes, it must be such a worry...hmm

obieone Sun 28-Feb-16 15:38:14

Anyone else thinking that some people "need" migrant workers, for wrong reasons? Heck.

Riverwalk Sun 28-Feb-16 15:56:57

Farmers have long been able to hire seasonal workers on special visas so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for worrying about car-washers ...... it's a reminder of how much of a low-wage economy the UK has become.

durhamjen Sun 28-Feb-16 16:22:15

Yes, pompa, such a worry.