Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Cameron to give a statement to the house tomorrow

(84 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 20-Mar-16 23:32:23

Now that should be interesting smile

rosesarered Mon 21-Mar-16 14:21:35

..... Lilyflower read the excellent post by Day6 on the other thread( what is positive by this government.) It says it all.
The left wing on the forum are becoming more and more unpleasant in their posts generally as time goes on.

whitewave Mon 21-Mar-16 14:38:40

Anybody got any idea what time is the statement from DC?

Gracesgran Mon 21-Mar-16 14:58:52

Whitewave I have just had a look and can't see the time. The Guardian on Line says:

David Cameron is preparing for a Commons statement which he will try to use to repair some of the damage caused to his government by Iain Duncan Smith’s resignation and by the budget U-turn over disability cuts. His statement will be mostly focused on last week’s EU summit, but he will face questions from MPs for more than an hour and Number 10 has indicated that he will use it to insist that he remains committed to One Nation Conservatism. Duncan Smith suggested in his resignation statement and his interview with Andrew Marr yesterday that the government was now only acting in the interests of its own supporters, particularly the wealthy and pensioners.

Apparently Osborne will not be there.

More here: www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/mar/21/tory-turmoil-cameron-ids-osborne-back-after-ids-resignation-by-backing-compassionate-conservatism-politics-live?page=with:block-56eff6d7e4b0304172354e40#block-56eff6d7e4b0304172354e40

whitewave Mon 21-Mar-16 15:04:41

Cheers graces

Penstemmon Mon 21-Mar-16 15:05:40

My earlier reply was to lilyflower

roses I have not become more and more unpleasant. I have responded to posts but I have been polite and not personal. I am a left winger.

whitewave Mon 21-Mar-16 15:09:09

Thanks pen

Anniebach Mon 21-Mar-16 15:31:03

Think 3.30 whitewave

Anniebach Mon 21-Mar-16 15:32:20

Osbourne isn't in the house , expect he is busy on a building site

whitewave Mon 21-Mar-16 15:43:58

Too scared to show up today. Hope he keeps a hard hat for his eventual appearance.

Anniebach Mon 21-Mar-16 15:56:02

The wimp, if he truely believes his budget is fair then come and defend it

Gracesgran Mon 21-Mar-16 16:44:05

Sadly, Annie they will be in a lot more trouble if it doesn't add up as they stand or fall - even with all the misery they have created for the poor and the disabled, and the lack of provision for care - on whether they can continue to pass off the idea of Conservatives being the party in whose hands our economy is safe. I expect he is doing his sums.smile When one or two start to laugh at that idea you will hear it break out all over the land - just before it stops as people realise what voting for this Conservative government has got us in to.

Anniebach Mon 21-Mar-16 16:50:14

Yet some defend them Grscesgran

durhamjen Mon 21-Mar-16 17:21:59

Dennis Skinner asked Cameron if it was Osborne's last budget speech, as only cats had nine lives.
Cameron's response was "No".
Do we believe him?

durhamjen Mon 21-Mar-16 17:24:44

i0.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/160321WheresGeorge.jpg?w=964

durhamjen Mon 21-Mar-16 17:44:06

Cameron has just given the mantra that the top 10% are paying more income tax than the rest, as they are paying 28% of the total. So they should be. They take over 50% of the money in this country.
The reason they pay a bigger percentage is because the government has altered the structures of the tax system.

voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/03/21/this-is-omnishambles-ii-tories-simply-dont-know-how-to-fix-their-budget/

Owen Smith is giving a brilliant response to the new DWP secretary of state, Crabb.

durhamjen Mon 21-Mar-16 18:11:30

Stephen Crabb said that there would be no new cuts to disability benefits.
Yvette Cooper asked him to repeat that.
He said it was in his statement.
This is the treasury response.

"Treasury swiftly clarifying Crabb declaration on welfare cuts. Doesn't at all mean no more cuts in this parliament, just none planned."

So Crabb doesn't actually know what the treasury has planned for the future, i.e., tomorrow.

durhamjen Mon 21-Mar-16 18:18:18

"The government does not have plans for further welfare savings," was how Crabb put it this time on the £4.4 billion black hole.

I am really looking forward to fullfact tomorrow.

He has been asked again about the £4.4 billion.
I wonder if he really wanted the job.
I wonder how long he will last.

durhamjen Mon 21-Mar-16 18:26:54

thinktankreview.co.uk/politics/idsofmarch/

Lots of links on here about what happens from now on.

Someone has just asked about what Jeremy Hunt is doing at the moment.

Anniebach Mon 21-Mar-16 18:30:06

Gauke was a sitting duck

Anniebach Mon 21-Mar-16 18:31:26

Perhaps ?Hunt is skiing with .boris or in hiding with .george

Penstemmon Mon 21-Mar-16 18:38:44

I do think if this was about Labour our fellow GNers, who are more right of centre, would be having just as much fun waiting for the stories to unfold. Just think they are quiet in defence wink

Anniebach Mon 21-Mar-16 18:43:04

To be fair a few got very interested in Corbyn's vest , lots of posts grin

durhamjen Mon 21-Mar-16 18:45:19

A bit like all the Tory MPs who are still backing the government's budget, even though they know it's going to fail.
I cannot imagine all those MPs who have been siding with IDS suddenly voting with George and David on the budget tomorrow.

Anniebach Mon 21-Mar-16 18:46:42

Cameron said we are in a compassionate , one nation country, no one told me that , perhaps he missed a passage in his note - with the exception of the disabled, homeless and minimum waged workers , Scotland and Wales we are a compassionate, one nation country

petra Mon 21-Mar-16 18:48:12

I don't think it's 'quiet in defence' I think it's boredom.