Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boaty McBoatface is named...

(34 Posts)
minimo Fri 06-May-16 14:49:06

And it's not Boaty McBoatface sad www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36225652

merlotgran Fri 06-May-16 14:54:33

The right choice of name I think but it will always be aka Boaty McBoatface grin

petitpois Fri 06-May-16 15:06:56

Agree! They've gone with a good name in my opinion. Shame the public will never be trusted to suggest important names again.

shysal Fri 06-May-16 15:31:50

I agree it is a more fitting name, but pleased that the submarine will carry the Boaty name.

ninathenana Fri 06-May-16 15:35:12

An appropriate tribute and yes, good that the sub will be "boaty*

Devorgilla Fri 06-May-16 16:33:52

Yes, a good compromise, though a large part of me would have paid good money to hear the Queen say - 'I name this ship BoatyMcBoatface.'

whitewave Fri 06-May-16 17:08:37

Yes lovely man, he would have been my second choice. But not terribly democratic.

Alima Fri 06-May-16 17:23:57

A good result, very fitting for Sir David and we do get a sub though should that be subby mcsubface?

obieone Fri 06-May-16 19:01:30

Not democratic. 4th place "won".
Imagine if that happened elsewhere.

Deedaa Fri 06-May-16 21:51:08

I'd have put money on them going for Sir David, but Boaty would have been fun grin Moral - if you want a public vote give them a short list!

Synonymous Sat 07-May-16 00:43:25

The favoured name was obviously decided in advance of the public consultation but now it is highly likely that the name chosen by the public may already have well and truly stuck.

Devorgilla grin

absent Sat 07-May-16 05:13:48

Alima Unlike the other ships in the navy, submarines are always called boats. I once got that wrong with a submariner captain and was roundly scolded.

harrigran Sat 07-May-16 05:28:23

I have attended many ship launches and they are lovely ceremonies but no sane person would attend a naming if they gave it a ridiculous name. Boaty was only suitable for a two year olds bath toy.

NfkDumpling Sat 07-May-16 06:43:49

It really couldn't have been BoatyMcBoatface - it's too long a name to call out over the radio. Just not practical. It wasn't a public vote anyway, just a consultation to see if anyone came up with anything better. Like petitpois I rather fear the public may not have as much say in future.

I really like Mr Attenburgh and am really pleased the ship will be named after him.

goose1964 Sat 07-May-16 09:02:46

apparently the public vote was to suggest names not to actually name the boat - according to DH who is never ever wrong about anything

Rosina Sat 07-May-16 10:00:09

This has caused so much hilarity - the BBC newsreader last evening burst into a giggle. Evidently a radio show host made this suggestion as just a throwaway remark and couldn't believe what happened.

Shows the British sense of humour; it will probably be known as 'Boaty' etc.
( Prince Harry was christened Henry 'to be known as Harry') The more dignified name is a tribute to a great man who has done so much for the planet, and will afford some dignity in the right circles.

Elegran Sat 07-May-16 10:43:46

"too long a name to call out over the radio." - but there are five syllables in "Boa-ty-Mc-Boat-face", seven in "Sir-Dav-id-Att-en-bor-ough".

Elegran Sat 07-May-16 10:47:22

At least the name will be used - "one of its remotely operated sub-sea vehicles will be named Boaty in recognition of the vote". It sounds as though there is more than one sub-sea vehicle, so maybe another of them will be Subby.

Galen Sat 07-May-16 11:24:11

Our yacht was called Psalm of life. Try spelling that out over the VHF. Papa Sierra alpha etc

Devorgilla Sat 07-May-16 11:41:21

Harrigran, the British have a wicked sense of humour. Methinks that on this occasion they would have been turning the crowds away. I also suspect that Prince Philip and Prince Harry would both be queuing up for this honour. I also suspect that the Queen, who has a good sense of humour, would have put them firmly in their place and had a bit of fun herself. At 90, and after years of dutiful service, she deserves it.
Still, the decision is made and I suspect was made a long time ago.

NotSpaghetti Sat 07-May-16 16:06:09

Although Boaty Mc Boatface may not be a prestigious name, it WOULD have be a great tool to get and keep people (especially young people) interested in science - I think it's a missed opportunity.
All over the world the "Boaty" story has made the news - there could be a great and educational blog "Boaty's Blog" maybe, and whenever anything of interest was going on you can be sure it would be well reported.
Feel quite sad that the powers that be can't see all the amazing things which could have grown from it.
ONE of a number of subs, well, that really isn't going to do anything.

rosesarered Sat 07-May-16 16:09:01

The boaty name sounds like one that a drunken student came up with at about 2 in the morning.Probably was !???????

Deedaa Sat 07-May-16 21:30:36

I think it has got them a lot of publicity anyway. A whole new generation of marine biologists may be forming as we write.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-May-16 22:17:13

I don't think much of this name either, to be honest.

Why for goodness sake?! Attenborough isn't exactly an intrepid explorer. He just goes where the BBC sends him, and makes a wildlife programme. Surely they could have named the boat after someone a lot braver and more adventurous.

I guess it was just his turn for an honour.

I'd almost rather it had been given the silly name.

Lilyflower Sun 08-May-16 07:59:58

Brilliant example of elitist arrogance. They didn't even choose the second most popular name. If it alerts the public to be more sceptical the whole charade will be a good thing.