Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boaty McBoatface is named...

(35 Posts)
minimo Fri 06-May-16 14:49:06

And it's not Boaty McBoatface sad www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36225652

grumppa Sun 08-May-16 08:56:52

If the ship were lost with all hands I wouldn't want to be be grieving parent who had to say "I lost my son on the Boaty McBoatface".

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 09:14:58

No sensible person wanted that name. I just think they could have used their imagination a bit, instead of pandering to the masses.

NotTooOld Sun 08-May-16 10:34:37

By the same token, do you think if Brexit gets a 'yes' next month it will turn into a 'no' because the Prime Minister decides it's not a good result?

obieone Sun 08-May-16 10:40:27

I cant help but think that this issue is going to run and run.

It symbolises the lack of democracy in this country. The "little" people cannot even be allowed to name a boat. "They" chose not even to take the 2nd or 3rd names.

How far down are "ordinary" people nowadays?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 11:01:53

No way could they have named a boat of that standing with a silly Tellytubbies type of name. hmm

We've had this argument before.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 11:03:39

"Ordinary people" don't always take things seriously. And some of them are dickheads prats.

Alima Sun 08-May-16 13:22:00

I think it was always meant as a bit of fun, tongue in cheek. Surely there's no need to go on about a lack of democracy, get a grip peeps!

rosesarered Sun 08-May-16 13:34:34

jingl grin

CelticRose Tue 10-May-16 19:00:09

Arriving late to the party, as it were..... In my humble opinion, the " Sir David Attenborough" is an appropriate name for this steel explorer. However; I have yet to opine that one of the newest Navy battleship currently being built has a name that puts fear, or otherwise, into any adversary of this Country.