Gransnet forums

News & politics

The EU - we are on the home straight folks!

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Tue 31-May-16 15:58:48

You didn't think I would ignore this did you?

JessM Tue 14-Jun-16 12:13:20

Yes there would be a loss of highly paid jobs from the City as well, and that would further affect the economy. Point about the immigration is that it is a flexible workforce that can meet peaks and go away again during troughs. As the EU migrants did in Ireland pre- and post- their economic crisis.
I am also worried about the effect an Exit would have on workers. If the Tory Brexiters were to form a government and choose not to have an election until 2020 they could (they would!) start tearing up EU legislation as fast as they could. This sounds all well and good but do we really want a lightening of the legislation on pollution, water quality safety, food safety etc And do we want to tear up workers rights for fair treatment?
Patel recently said
“If we could just halve the burdens of the EU social and employment legislation we could deliver a £4.3 billion boost to our economy and 60,000 new jobs.” These "burdens" are employment rights which, if removed, would affect all workers. Her assumption is that, freed from these burdens employers would increase investment in their businesses at an unprecedented rate and create new jobs. Alternatively they may buy a new yacht with their increased profits. Those working for less scrupulous employers, part-time workers, temporary workers and parents would be hardest hit. In the USA there is NO statutory entitlement to paid maternity leave (just 12 weeks unpaid leave). That is the kind of thing the leaders of the Leave campaign seek to emulate.

obieone Tue 14-Jun-16 12:14:25

JessM, both posts, you must understand that that is not what is being meant and talked about.

You do, dont you?

Please people, dont sell your souls.

obieone Tue 14-Jun-16 12:15:18

Not read 12.13pm

obieone Tue 14-Jun-16 12:22:29

I am out of politics forums for a few hours/days. I can't stand the twisting, that is really quite open now

whitewave Tue 14-Jun-16 12:29:52

obieone the single market and its mechanisms include the free movement of people.

As I said previously to talk of uncontrolled and selling ones soul is incorrect and emotive.

Gracesgran Tue 14-Jun-16 12:49:02

Obieone if "Please people, don't sell your souls." is you putting forward an example of hysterical hyperbole then you are right it is certainly close.

You seem not to understand that people who will vote remain are doing it with just the same sense that this is the right thing for the future of the country as those who will vote leave.

You are not "right" neither are those who will vote remain - you hold an opinion. All those opinions are based on fact, argument and how much people are influenced by the opinions of others. Nobody knows what will happen.

I am happy to say I think the free movement of people and the accountability of the EU to the people of its member countries needs reform. I do not think that will actually effect the numbers of immigrants coming to work in this country nor do I think leaving will. That is my opinion and along with strong opinions on other areas of the EU it leads me to vote remain with all the intelligent research and "soul" I am able to apply.

Granny23 Tue 14-Jun-16 13:10:14

WARNING if you are not already embroiled in this thread and value your sanity, do not attempt (as I did last night) to catch up or read through from the beginning. My brain is still scrambled, trying to make sense out of nonsense.confused

Honestly, I think this is the worst thread I have ever encountered in all my years on Gransnet sad

whitewave Tue 14-Jun-16 13:30:46

This referendum is certainly the best and worse in us all? I like to describe it as colourful

petra Tue 14-Jun-16 13:35:20

Granny23 I think it's one of the best. It's no different to being in my own home sometimes. My OH and I are always arguing politics. But on this issue we are in total agreement even though our politics are different.

granjura Tue 14-Jun-16 16:45:49

Rupert Murdoch doesn't like the EU, and this quote tells it all:

'I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. 'That’s easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'

durhamjen Tue 14-Jun-16 17:40:44

Brilliant, granjura. Do you think it will help Remain if that quote is plastered all over the country? Do people really want to be led by Murdoch?

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/06/14/what-if-the-uk-votes-brexit/

This is a very interesting article. Cameron's referendum is similar to Major's put up or shut up. The difference is that Major was putting his own future on the line. Cameron is putting the future of the EU on the line, just to stop his own backbenchers. Sad, really. His PR mind has let him down this time.

Tegan Tue 14-Jun-16 18:01:35

I haven't read all of it but it hadn't occurred to me quite how much we will depend on America if we leave the EU. So much for recovering control of our country. Especially if Donald Trump becomes President #becarefulwhatuwishfor

daphnedill Tue 14-Jun-16 18:08:12

@ Tegan

Liam Fox, a prominent BREXITer, wrote a pamphlet about this. I mentioned it many moons ago on this thread (or maybe it was one of the other EU threads). He has made it quite clear that he wants closer ties with the US. I don't have a crystal ball (nor does anyone), but it's quite clear that the UK can't 'go it alone' in today's global world. I would rather be in a bloc, where the UK is one of the most wealthy and powerful countries rather than a tiny player in a bloc dominated by the US.

whitewave Tue 14-Jun-16 18:09:51

We also share a common culture with Europe. Not so America.

practical Tue 14-Jun-16 18:17:52

ANGELA Merkel is ready to cave in to the Turkish government and grant visa-free travel to 75million people despite Turkey’s failure to meet EU’s demands, a British ambassador has claimed.

Welshwife Tue 14-Jun-16 18:31:21

Which British Ambasador?

practical Tue 14-Jun-16 18:36:04

Leaked documents from Britain’s ambassador to Germany, Sir Sebastian Wood, claim the German Chancellor is ready to make a “compromise” on Turkey’s terrorism law.

Welshwife Tue 14-Jun-16 18:39:51

The agreement about the visas only apply to diplomatic ones. She cannot make any deal on her own - surprisingly the EU Parliament is a democratic one and they would all need to agree. What would the terrorism law mean ? - there are still 30 points of agreement still to go.

whitewave Tue 14-Jun-16 18:43:43

Do you work for a tabloid * practical*? Only you do a good line in sensation.

Tegan Tue 14-Jun-16 18:48:20

...or scaremongering..

practical Tue 14-Jun-16 18:53:02

no more than the in side

practical Tue 14-Jun-16 18:56:46

Welshwife How come you think she can't make a deal on her own?
She never asked the other members if they wanted open doors. In fact she never asks other members anything that she is determined to do.

practical Tue 14-Jun-16 18:58:56

Bit of good news to finish on
FREEDOM! Women celebrate end of oppressive ISIS rule by ditching Islamic niqab dress

WOMEN in northern Syrian have been celebrating their new found freedom from oppressive Islamic State (ISIS) rule by ditching their niqab - a strict dress code imposed by the jihadi group.

jevive73 Tue 14-Jun-16 19:04:50

I don't think brexit or remain are perfect solutions but I just watched a party political broadcast by brexit and i thought it was a sendup _ some ludicrous things including about a chair already built at the eu parliament for the Turkish prime minister. I don't know what the remain broadcast was like as I usually dont watch political broadcasts.

Tegan Tue 14-Jun-16 19:39:56

The only one I've seen has been Alan Sugar,Stephen Hawking and Shami Chakrabati [sp] explaining why we should 'Remain'.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion