Gransnet forums

News & politics

The EU - we are on the home straight folks!

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Tue 31-May-16 15:58:48

You didn't think I would ignore this did you?

Ana Tue 31-May-16 16:01:39

Who are 'we'? confused

Welshwife Tue 31-May-16 16:03:33

We have today cast our votes and posted them - it is a very straightforward voting paper. We also had prepaid envelopes for airmail which was a surprise but maybe they wanted to not have a load of people like me who would have sent them by the French equivalent of recorded delivery.

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 16:04:40

The whole of the U.K. ana have you not noticed we are to have a referendum??

rosesarered Tue 31-May-16 16:07:03

OMG........wasn't 1000 posts enough already! grin

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 16:08:55

Probably, but I'm a glutton for punishment - love it!!!!

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 16:19:10

It is noticeable that the younger generation are beginning to get involved. Farage got it in the neck today by a young chap.

Ana Tue 31-May-16 16:19:16

What referendum?

Joking...hmm

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 16:19:32

Been at least two thousand, maybe even three.
As whitewave says, we are on the homerun.
Unfortunately we are also supposed to be in purdah, which means that civil servants must not provide information on the referendum that could sway the public and influence the way that they vote.

Central Government and local authorities are also now banned from publishing material related to the referendum and Brexit debate.

I hope it does not mean that they are not allowed to correct the lies, such as £350 million a week said to be saved by leaving the EU from the Brexiters.

Alima Tue 31-May-16 16:21:25

Our postal votes are ready and waiting to be posted when it stops raining. No going back now.

Lona Tue 31-May-16 16:22:23

Posted mine!

kittylester Tue 31-May-16 16:38:30

Wish I'd had a postal vote - I could stop worrying about which way to vote then.confused

Mamie Tue 31-May-16 16:39:35

My DD has posted our postal proxy votes!

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 17:23:14

The leave campaign has said that they could get rid of VAT on fuel and people would save money. Such a shame they wanted to put it up to 17.5% in the 1990s. They could also do that if we left the EU, too.

harrigran Tue 31-May-16 17:24:47

I am not posting mine until the last minute, I do not trust them not to accidentally lose a few hundred or so.

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 17:26:08

"The Europe that the Tories want is not our Europe. Cameron went to negotiate away workers’ rights in advance of this referendum. If he could have done it, he would have done.

If Cameron and his crew are still in power after this referendum they will continue dismantling our welfare state. They will continue to cut benefits, undermine wages and cut public service jobs. This will go on.

Sharing a platform with them discredits us. It demotivates the very people we are trying to mobilise."

This is what McDonnell said last night about Khan being on the same platform as Cameron.
Doesn't look as though Labour agrees with Cameron.

GandTea Tue 31-May-16 17:41:32

Ah, but Harrigran, leave it until the last minute and they may say they didn't arrive in time. hmm
Going to watch tonight's programme and then will decide, and post, no more ifs and buts.

Ana Tue 31-May-16 17:45:07

Wish my postal vote would hurry up and arrive, can't wait to get it out of the way so I can ignore the rest of the run-up!

granjura Tue 31-May-16 18:30:21

Same here- don't want to do a proxy vote.

ffinnochio Tue 31-May-16 18:36:45

All registered and in the system, but still waiting for our postal forms to arrive!

#becomingconcerned

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 18:58:56

What referendum?
Ana was that you on the telly the other evening? who had not heard of the referendum nor the EU in all probability? With two or three children in tow (must say you look very young to be a granny grin)

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 19:00:07

It's there, on the side in the kitchen, waiting for one of the DGC to knock a glass of sticky orange juice over it.
Must move it before they come.

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 19:01:13

Why do so many of you have postal votes?

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 19:04:49

We are often overseas in May which is when most elections are held.
I don't know about anyone else.
However, we usually go and take our postal votes to the poll station on the day (can't miss the excitement!).

Mamie Tue 31-May-16 19:08:12

In our case because we are not in the UK. For the general election our votes arrived in France three days before, so I very much doubt that they got there. As this is so important we decided to do a postal proxy with our daughter.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion