Gransnet forums

News & politics

British teachers telling children to consider themselves European

(148 Posts)
obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 08:13:22

NfkDumpling Sun 05-Jun-16 07:20:16
I'm an Out for all the reasons given already but yesterday a friend who'd been undecided called round. She said she's now come down for Out for a very simple reason. She's Scottish. Proud to be Scottish but has over the years come to now describe herself as British as required. She heard on the radio that teachers are no longer telling children to consider themselves British but as European. That was the final straw for her. Simple. The loss of identity and nationality.
I think it's becoming so all over Europe. The taking away of identity and lumping us all together

This is what NFKDumpling wrote on another thread.

I have asked NFK's permission to do this thread.

trisher Sun 05-Jun-16 13:09:12

This is one of those chinese whispers stories best ignored-"I heard from someone who heard it on the radio" oh come on!

rosesarered Sun 05-Jun-16 13:09:30

thanks Petra I will try and have one myself, here in the garden, as the sun is out now. Have a great holiday!

daphnedill Sun 05-Jun-16 13:16:49

@trisher

Exactly! It is beyond any teacher's remit to TELL pupils what nationality they should think they are. In any case, anybody who has ever had dealings with children as a teacher, knows that they're more likely to do and think the exact opposite, which is why the British Values agenda is a load of nonsense.

Nelliemoser Sun 05-Jun-16 14:07:47

I am an English woman in Britain therefore I regard my nationality as British.
Having looked at my ancestry it is very heavily English for many generations with some input from Northern Ireland and Scotland about 1880s (Depending on which census you look at.)

Deedaa Sun 05-Jun-16 20:48:30

I can still remember the teachers at my primary school, only a few years after the war, telling us that we needed to work towards a united Europe to off set any threat from either East or West. I suppose I was brainwashed because the idea of the Federation of Europe has always seemed quite a good one to me. I always put British on any forms I fill in but really our family are such mongrels - at least 6 different nationalities in the mix at the last count - that I sometimes wonder.

daphnedill Sun 05-Jun-16 20:59:52

I don't remember any teacher telling me to be any particular nationality or promoting Europe.

I was in the Sixth Form when the UK first joined the EU in 1973 and some speakers came into our General Studies lessons as part of the current affairs programme, but that's it.

There had been an American election in 1972 and we had speakers too, who explained what the parties stood for and how the system worked.

granjura Sun 05-Jun-16 22:09:18

This thing about the water separating the UK from Europe is interesting. I was born and grew up very close to the French border- and ever since I was a toddler, family walks in the countryside took us over the border without noticing. Same when skiing, or with our rowing boat. When on holiday in the Alps, skiing or walking, we always ended up in Italy or France- and when at my god mother's in Alsace in Germany- and at my aunt's in Austria. So being part of Europe, even before the EU- was an everyday norm. So perhaps it does make a difference as you grow up- as to how you feel about it.

Welshwife Sun 05-Jun-16 22:39:29

That could have something to do with it GJ but I think it is also about the life experiences - I had a French friend from 16 and I still see her and we still laugh and reminisce about things we did going to London etc. I have written to an Australian pen friend since I was 6 - we still write frequently and have visited each other a few times. My father believed that there would never be peace everywhere till we were all intermarried whatever colour our skin. Luckily for me he also thought girls should have as many opportunities as boys Looking outward was what I have always known and have always felt English as well as British and European.

NoStrayGrey Sun 05-Jun-16 22:47:05

As a young child,I was taught to say I was English, and so I spoke English. The word 'British' has only been used since 'European's' came to England,Ireland,Scotland & Wales. Prior to the visitors arriving, it was just that title. Never was I ever told that I was part of a greater country, called Europe. I recall, in my young days learning about Europe, and finding places on the giant map of the world, on the classroom wall, or on the globe we had in class. At one point, some new people came to live in our street, and they couldn't speak English. Everyone was advised to try and be friendly to the newcomers, as they were a long way from Home, and would find everything difficult in England. Once they gained their confidence, they became very nasty and didn't want to speak to us anymore, because their uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, etc. were all moving here too! After this, we did have to be civil at school, but it was them who caused the greatest problem of all, by saying one day England would be Theirs. I didn't have a clue what that meant, how could it be their country, when we had lived here all our lives, and where were we supposed to live if it became their country. To that, we were told, they would be taking over and making us believe in their gods, not ours. Our god was not real, and it was up to them to teach us about living in their country. I am not lying, this is the gospel truth. I have no reason to make this up.. I shall be voting Out, for the most obvious reasons. It's not about who lives here, but it is about who makes England home, and who wants to change England to be Europe?!

daphnedill Sun 05-Jun-16 22:52:44

That was one family, who sound like very unpleasant people. Presumably you've met other people who were born abroad. Have they all been like that? I must admit that I've never met anybody who has wanted to take over the country, British born or otherwise.

obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 23:01:08

Who decided in the first place, which countries belong to which continents?
Or even why there are continents at all?
And is it me, but some countries seem to have moved in and out of contintents down the years?
Off to google.

Welshwife Sun 05-Jun-16 23:08:57

What year was that!!!!!
I was always taught that we were part of Great Britain which was formed iby the Unification of England and Wales with Scotland and Ireland in something like 1707. There had been several previous acts of Union uniting different parts if the UK. Then the flags of St Andrew, St Patrick, and St George were joined together to make the Union Jack.
I can remember the day I discovered about Europe being a continent and working out that I belonged to all three.
Europe has never been described as a country - do get some facts right - did you ever go to school in the UK????
I think what you say about the foreigners us utter tosh and untrue and just written to inflame things!

daphnedill Sun 05-Jun-16 23:12:07

I haven't a clue, but if you're interested in when Britain finally split geographically from mainland Europe, this is quite interesting:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12244964

daphnedill Sun 05-Jun-16 23:26:39

Same here, Welshwife. I remember learning at primary school the story (probably myth) that Edward I conned the Welsh. Allegedly he had promised the Welsh "a prince born in Wales, who did not speak a word of English". He then revealed his infant son, who had been born in Caernarfon and, being a baby, couldn't speak a word in any language.

I also remember learning about James VI of Scotland/James I of England. I also learnt about Cromwell in Ireland at secondary school.

At no stage was I ever told to think I was 'British' or anything else. I became fascinated with foreign languages and it wasn't until I first went abroad on a school exchange to Germany when I was 15 that I realised that these people were just like me. This was 1970 and I was impressed that Germany already seemed a much cleaner and richer country than the UK.

I was still never told to think of myself as European.

Anniebach Sun 05-Jun-16 23:38:40

England is part of the UK not the UK, the four countries of the UK will vote nostraygrey not only England

The Festival of Britian was held in 1950 and had you never heard of the British Arny whrn you were in school

I am sorry but you claims of that Family just doesn't make sense or fit in with time frames of immigrants arriving in this country

Anniebach Sun 05-Jun-16 23:40:40

I didn't know I was British when I was in school ,

daphnedill Mon 06-Jun-16 00:00:25

Even earlier than that, ab, Great Britain became the official name for Wales, England and Scotland after the Act of Union in 1707.

Eloethan Mon 06-Jun-16 00:49:29

I don't see what is wrong in feeling glad to be British and glad to be European - that is how I feel. It doesn't follow, though, that I feel ecstatic about being in the EU because I'm not sure how well it represents not just British people but all the people of Europe.

NoStayGrey I consider your post to be racist and if that is the level of the "Leave" debate then it is likely to push many waverers like me towards staying in.

obieone Mon 06-Jun-16 07:02:40

I have googled. Some people say 7 continents, some 6 and some 5.

thatbags Mon 06-Jun-16 07:14:41

How is nostraygrey's post racist, eloethan? Race is not mentioned in her post. Foreignness is, and an unpleasant attitude from some people who are not otherwise identified. That is all. To be racist the post would have to be implying that all people belonging to the same group or category as the people mentioned would have the same attitudes as these people apparently had. Since the group or category is unknown the post is clearly not implying that.

If I had come across people like that—which I haven't, thankfully—I might well tell a similar story about them simply out of disgust for their attitudes. There are unpleasant people from all countries and of all skin colours.

Anniebach Mon 06-Jun-16 08:13:29

Race not mentioned?

Jews? No they worship the same God as Christians

The Irish? No, same God

Then came the Windrush? No same God

Now which immigrants have I missed ?

Surely not a family of Muslim Faith?

UKIP on top form again

absent Mon 06-Jun-16 08:33:46

…saying one day England would be Theirs. I didn't have a clue what that meant, how could it be their country, when we had lived here all our lives, and where were we supposed to live if it became their country. To that, we were told, they would be taking over and making us believe in their gods, not ours. Our god was not real, and it was up to them to teach us about living in their country.

So not unlike the British colonialists and missionaries who spread all over the globe?

thatbags Mon 06-Jun-16 08:37:17

Yes, just like that, absent.

thatbags Mon 06-Jun-16 08:37:57

And therefore unpleasant and definitely open to criticism.

thatbags Mon 06-Jun-16 08:43:07

And, anniebach, since all three Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) either are or have been proselytising and somewhat imperialistic in their amibitions, your guess is as good as anyone else's, as to identity of the people mentioned in nostray's post.

I saw an argument recently saying that all those three religions should be counted as one in the same way that Hinduism, composed of a similar broad spectrum of related beliefs, is.