Gransnet forums

News & politics

British teachers telling children to consider themselves European

(148 Posts)
obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 08:13:22

NfkDumpling Sun 05-Jun-16 07:20:16
I'm an Out for all the reasons given already but yesterday a friend who'd been undecided called round. She said she's now come down for Out for a very simple reason. She's Scottish. Proud to be Scottish but has over the years come to now describe herself as British as required. She heard on the radio that teachers are no longer telling children to consider themselves British but as European. That was the final straw for her. Simple. The loss of identity and nationality.
I think it's becoming so all over Europe. The taking away of identity and lumping us all together

This is what NFKDumpling wrote on another thread.

I have asked NFK's permission to do this thread.

varian Mon 06-Jun-16 11:53:58

Firecracker - at the last election most people voted for parties who did not want this referendum. Unfortunately the undemocratic first past the post system resulted in a Tory government. At least we have PR in elections for our MEP - rather more democratic.

And no, I do not have family on the "EU gravy train", as you call it. But I do have family whose future may be irrevocably damaged by this divisive referendum - as we all do.

daphnedill Mon 06-Jun-16 12:18:22

My goodness! So a post about being European leads to ranting about the EU. It just goes to show how toxic Europe is to some people. Xenophobia lives!

obieone Mon 06-Jun-16 13:02:35

Anniebach, but for you it is anything but that simple. Else all things welsh wouldnt be appearing over and over and over from you.

kathyd Mon 06-Jun-16 14:31:21

I've voted out because I have no desire to be ruled by an unelected dictatorship. I have read many articles by MEPs highlighting the inner workings and shenanigans, some amounting to out and out corruption, of that ruling class.
I live in France and the under-the-table corruption, nepotism and favouritism on all levels is beyond belief.
I'm not saying that the same doesn't happen in the UK as well but not to the same extent.

trisher Mon 06-Jun-16 14:47:24

daphnedill it may be to do with Europe Day, or could be to do with the "European Capital Of Culture" There is often stuff going around schools about these things

daphnedill Mon 06-Jun-16 15:04:08

Thanks for the info. As the op was about a radio phone-in via a friend, it's impossible to know what was actually said to the children in question. Britain's role in Europe and in the world is part of the National Curriculum and has been for many years. I feel it's a positive thing that school children are more aware of the world around them.

varian Mon 06-Jun-16 16:12:10

kathyd,are you intending to return to the UK if the Leave side wins or are you going to stay in France, enjoying all the benefits of remaining in the EU, while those of us who actually live here have to suffer the consequences of your vote?

granjura Mon 06-Jun-16 16:30:51

Same question- if you live in France you will still be governed by said dictatorship (your words not mine). I am surprised you want to stay there if it is that bad, really.

Anniebach Mon 06-Jun-16 17:04:29

If there are benefits for remaining in the EU why would we suffer by staying in?

If we vote out we can but hope France will still patrol the channel as we only have one boat there

Lilyflower Mon 06-Jun-16 18:29:13

Teachers should not be bullied into purveying this politically correct nonsense but they are all the time. I am so glad I have retired from teaching.

On another point, isn't it amusing that Ms Sturgeon is on the Remain side. Ironic, what!

MargaretX Mon 06-Jun-16 20:10:19

I can't believe that the children have been harmed by the suggestion they could consider themselves as Europeans. Some in the class are probably 100% Europeans- Europeans are not an inferior species!

I can imagine a child would be more harmed to have such a narrow minded mother. If that is the only complaint they have in a modern school these days, then they will come to no harm.

obieone Mon 06-Jun-16 20:31:42

You dont take away peoples' roots.

daphnedill Mon 06-Jun-16 20:34:55

Nobody's taking away their roots. You're being hysterical.

granjura Mon 06-Jun-16 20:35:32

As long as people really know where they roots really are... which is often not really where they thought they were.

Did you watch the DNA video?

elena Mon 06-Jun-16 20:41:53

I don't believe teachers have been told to tell pupils they are not British.

They should indeed be explaining to them they are Europeans, because geographically, this is correct.

Nothing about the EU prevents anyone being British, English, Scottish, Welsh, Geordie, scouse, Yorkshire....whatever.

How on earth is it possible to 'take away someone's roots' ???

Some of the statements on this thread are bizarre.

daphnedill Mon 06-Jun-16 20:46:56

They certainly are, elena.

It's very worthy aim to explain to school pupils about the geography of Europe and, indeed, the EU. It seems that there quite a few adults who would benefit from a dummies' course. There's one starting on Future Learn on 13th June, which is a bit late, but might be worth doing.

www.futurelearn.com/courses/eu-referendum

Lisalou Mon 06-Jun-16 21:10:23

I admit right now that I have not read all the posts so this may well have been brought up, but if not european, what continent does the OP belong to?

Lisalou Mon 06-Jun-16 21:33:41

I have now read the whole thread and would like to rephrase the question. All those who see themselves as English/Welsh or whatever but not Europeans, what continent do they feel their nation belongs to? It has to be one of them....

MargaretX Mon 06-Jun-16 22:21:24

Think of all those millions in Africa. We call them Africans yet they come a from many different countries. Just ike they are African we are European and our children and grandchidren as well.

Your roots are your roots no one can take them away. How could you do it. Its on your birth certificate. Its so silly that it makes the LEAVE campaign ridiculous.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 06:43:03

We call them Moroccans on Nigerians or whatever. We try not to lump them together as Africans anymore as that is rude, and somewhat disrespectful.
That is what we do on gransnet, and that is what I have taught my children.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 06:44:56

You yourself are fond of saying that you live in Germany.

kathyd Tue 07-Jun-16 06:56:18

Varian - I'm already on my way back. As soon as my house sale is finalised I will jump into my car and it will fly back on wings. I can't wait. Living in France is no dream, believe me - and I have given it a chance as I've been here for 11 years.

kathyd Tue 07-Jun-16 07:05:34

Granjura - See my answer to Varian

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 07:07:35

So what did your friend say the person on the radio phone-in claimed? I realise this is second or third hand, but it's important to know what is actually being claimed. Had the person on the radio phone-in actually witnessed this him/herself or was it what he/she had been told by somebody else?

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 07:15:35

If you read the op well daphnedill, you will see that it is a post from NfkDumpling as I tried to make very clear.

Also,the post does not say it was a phone-in, though because I hardly ever listen to the radio, from what she said, it might be? Or might not be I suppose?