Gransnet forums

News & politics

Orlando Shootings

(63 Posts)
POGS Sun 12-Jun-16 20:55:56

Terrible, just terrible.

50 people massacred in a gay Orlando Nightclub , reported as the worst massacre on US soil.

There must be a concern in the US over the possibility of any repercussions given the tensions and the killers history.

The worlds gone mad.

tanith Sun 12-Jun-16 21:08:06

The World is a very dangerous place for everyone that's for sure. Another terrible tragedy indeed. sad

Anniebach Sun 12-Jun-16 22:12:24

Yet they still want the freedom to walk into a store and buy guns

Poor people, there about fifty in hospital too , some seriously wounded

Deedaa Sun 12-Jun-16 23:31:35

Even DH who is a total Gun nut admits that there is no reason for a civilian to have an assault rifle. He also says there is no way they will ever be able to get rid of all the ones that must be circulating in the US, which I'm afraid is probably true.

POGS Sun 12-Jun-16 23:36:49

To be honest I was very naive how easy it is to buy weapons throughout Europe and lax gun laws.

Iam64 Mon 13-Jun-16 08:21:07

I read this morning that the perpetrator has mental health problems, a diagnosis of bipolar and a history of domestic abuse (towards his ex wife). He was known to the FBI, had been interviewed by them more than once about possible links to terrorists. Despite this history, he was able to walk into gun stores and buy guns/assault rifles.

Donald Trump is of course attempting to make political headway by suggesting this attack is the result of Islamic extremism. Yes, the man was a Muslim but that's hardly the key issue in this dreadful mass murder is it. Obama has again made calm, sensible comments about the need to "do something" about US gun laws.

PRINTMISS Mon 13-Jun-16 09:00:21

Guns are a way of life in America, and so it seems to me that it is impossible to control their use. It is not illegal to carry one so who is going to know whether the carrier is innocently going his/her own way, or intending to carry out a horrible violent act? Surely Obama, whether people like him or not, should be heard and listened to, and Trump should realise that hatred breeds hatred. Our thoughts should be with the people who have lost loved ones, and those who are suffering the trauma of yet another what seems like senseless massacre of people.

thatbags Mon 13-Jun-16 09:04:09

I think extremist islamism is the problem. It is jihadist ideology that drove this attack as it did in the Boston bombing. While I agree that US gun laws are bonkers, it was a pressure cooker that was used as a weapon in the Boston attack, not guns. Should pressure cookers be banned as well? No, the common factor in these attacks is intolerant jihadist ideology. It is not islamophobic to say that.

See photo from Twitter below that expresses very well that it is the effect of certain beliefs that cause people to murder those they see as infidels. This is not a criticism of Muslims but of a certain belief that I'm pretty sure most Muslims don't have.

TerriBull Mon 13-Jun-16 09:17:42

thatbags, absolutely agree another senseless vengeful act at the hands of what may well be a lone wolf who has mental health issues. Frankly all those engage in extremist jihadist attacks on innocent people are so brainwashed that they become psychotic. It's as you say not the religion per se but the fundamentalist strain of it that is the problem.

gillybob Mon 13-Jun-16 09:26:45

BBC news this morning stated that it is suspected that he did have links with Isis. If this is a fact then I do hope the Islamic leaders of the world speak up and public condemn his actions, although something tells me that they will not.

No wonder Donald Trumps campaign is doing so well.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Jun-16 09:31:07

there was a clause in US gun laws forbidding automatic weapons But it expired.

Obama said this was a terror crime and a hate crime.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Jun-16 09:32:41

It was said on the Today prog this morning that the National Rifle Association has a huge sway with the republicans.

POGS Mon 13-Jun-16 09:52:20

Obviously I understand the ease of obtaining weapons in the USA but my problem is this could happen in practically any country, with or without the ease of purchasing weapons. I think we would be terrified to know how easy it is to obtain weapons here if there is the will. It would be naive not to think there are stashes throughout the UK waiting to do harm.

You hit the nail on the head Terribull alongside the known wide use of narcotics that are found during the search in their homes.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Jun-16 09:54:51

Yes, but at least it isn't legal! We do try very hard to stop people having dangerous weapons.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Jun-16 09:56:35

This "mental health problems" is rubbish. He was a hater. Because of his ideology.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Jun-16 09:57:15

Should say, because of his extremist ideology.

SwimHome Mon 13-Jun-16 10:27:37

Until we realise that all of us have murderous feelings at some time and are capable of killing others we shall never get past the vicious circle of ideologies (of all kinds), hate and war. Humanity has a long way to go before we can ever hope for a peaceful coexistence with each other. We kid ourselves if we think we are very far down the path of decency and civilisation. If you don't agree, just ask yourself what the main topic of 'entertainment' is on TV around the world? Murder and war. Until we see how obscene this is there's not much hope for us.

micmc47 Mon 13-Jun-16 10:29:16

The fact that a man with a history of mental instability and violence was able to buy and keep an automatic rifle, or indeed a gun of any kind, is chilling. Massacres like this will continue to take place as long as U.S. gun laws remain so lax.. and any change there is highly unlikely.

Magsymoo Mon 13-Jun-16 10:32:28

Don't be so dismissive of the possibility of mental health problems until we know more. A combination of mental health issues, narcotics, an extremist ideology and the availability of weapons is a toxic mix. Don't forget that these shooting sprees happen regularly in the USA and the perpetrators are usually young, disaffected while males.

Retrolady Mon 13-Jun-16 10:50:31

Will be 'interesting' to see how Trump reacts in the coming days. He was very quick to jump on the anti-IS bandwagon, but he also hates gay people. Hmmm.....

nigglynellie Mon 13-Jun-16 10:51:13

This is an absolutely shocking incident seemingly without rhyme nor reason. It's just hard to know what to say that hasn't already been said except that the sad truth is that if somebody anywhere wants to get hold of a gun then for certain they will. The difference is that in America guns are two a penny, whereas here it is a lot more difficult although not impossible. Even with legislation, changing a deeply ingrained feeling of entitlement to carry arms in the U.S. would probably take generations, plus the fact of a powerful gun lobby who of course will fight any changes tooth and nail. Individual states have their own 'regulations'? which makes it virtually impossible to impose any nationwide control. It's just shocking, but how to come to grips with it in the U.S. heaven only knows.

Retrolady Mon 13-Jun-16 10:52:34

Swimhome - I absolutely agree with you. I can't understand the preoccupation with murder and/or war. The TV schedules are seemingly saturated with them. I can't even understand the popularity of so-called harmless murder mysteries, like Midsomer Murders. It's not entertainment to me.

Jane10 Mon 13-Jun-16 11:00:23

Obama is so impressive. His calm dignity and articulately expressed anger and sadness has all the hallmarks of a statesman. To think there's even a chance of Trump at the White House angry

janeainsworth Mon 13-Jun-16 11:10:13

Swimhome Until we realise that all of us have murderous feelings at some time and are capable of killing others
You really think that?
I have always based my life on the belief that the vast majority of the human race is innately good and wish no harm to their fellow human beings.

Sheilasue Mon 13-Jun-16 11:34:01

Another senseless killing in the US apparantly he was on the FBI list and was also on no fly whatever that is, I assume he's not allowed on a plane but can walk into a shop and by hand guns and rifles. Until the rifle association out there does something nothing will change it disgraceful. Would like to point out out that knife crime in this country is the worst in the world.