Gransnet forums

News & politics

A new Centre party?

(212 Posts)
kittylester Sun 26-Jun-16 14:49:01

I know I say this often, but is now the time for a new SDP to arise from the mess? Where is a Gang of Four when you need them?

rosesarered Thu 30-Jun-16 16:48:11

Monica I agree with you, those on the right of the Labour Party and in the centre, could form an alliance with the Lib Dems smile and those on the far left could be a party of permanent protest [Corbyn would like that.]

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 16:59:02

In case people have missed it, it's highly likely that a new party is going to be set up on the right. Arron Banks, who bankrolled the Leave campaign, is serious about using his own money to set one up.

This is what he had to say about the Leave campaign strategy:

^Banks has been credited with professionalising Ukip’s referendum push through the Leave.EU campaign. He deployed senior executives and staff from his insurance companies and hired the Washington DC political campaign strategy firm Goddard Gunster on a multimillion-pound fee to sharpen its message.

“It was taking an American-style media approach,” said Banks. “What they said early on was ‘facts don’t work’ and that’s it. The remain campaign featured fact, fact, fact, fact, fact. It just doesn’t work. You have got to connect with people emotionally. It’s the Trump success.”^

Be afraid!

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/29/leave-donor-plans-new-party-to-replace-ukip-without-farage

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 17:08:37

I am afraid Daphne

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 17:16:05

His statement 'The remain campaign featured fact, fact, fact, fact, fact. It just doesn't work' really frightens me.

So people aren't interested in facts any more? As the campaign continued, that was fairly obvious, as was the employment of people to troll social media.

Democracy? Pah! Not when people are duped.

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 17:31:37

We need this as well, before any new parties are set up.

www.change.org/p/restore-truthful-politics-create-an-independent-office-to-monitor-political-campaigns?source_location=movement

JessM Thu 30-Jun-16 17:51:14

Can anyone explain to me how setting up a new centre party will help to:
a/ combat the right wing tendencies of the many in the Tory party
b/ combat the extreme right wing tendencies of UKIP, Arron Banks et al. It is the votes of traditional Labour voters that they are winning in many areas.
As far as I can tell there is no apparent threat to the UK from the Left these days? Reds under the beds is so last century.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 18:15:01

I'm really not sure, Jess. I know that from my own point of view, I would like to see a new centrist party, because I am very much opposed to what the Conservatives have been doing, but I can't really agree with Momentum/Corbyn either. The trouble is that, as a LibDem supporter, I've always known that they would never form a government (although it used to be different at local level). I actually feel completely disenfranchised.

On balance, I would prefer a Labour government to a Conservative one. I voted Labour in the last election, but nothing (except perhaps a gun to the head) could ever persuade me to vote Conservative.

A new party on the right would have repercussions for the alignment of existing parties. Traditional Labour voters seem to be voting for Ukip and the Labour Party needs to find out why and to address that. There seems to be some kind of disconnect between the party and its traditional voters. I really don't know enough traditional Labour voters to know why.

My daughter canvassed for Labour during the last election. In the end, Labour gained a seat from the LibDems in the constituency, but she was surprised that some of the people she spoke to had voted LibDem in the past, but intended to vote for Ukip in the election. That seems to indicate that people don't have a clue what they're voting for, because the LibDems and Ukip couldn't be more different on almost all levels. It seems that people reject Labour and Conservative (for whatever reason) and vote for the 'other' as a protest. Part of the problem at the moment, I believe, is that people don't really have an idea what Labour stands for.

I just wonder if people need an alternative to the horrors of a rebranded Ukip.

nigglynellie Thu 30-Jun-16 18:27:53

Both sides used dirty tricks, just like all elections! Maybe less bullying, hectoring, and being downright frightening, and instead, a message of optimism, hope and enthusiasm, and things could have gone very differently! Appalling arrogant behaviour by certain celebrities, and again things could have been different. Less name calling would have been a bonus! A bit more enthusiasm from Labour would have helped too!!

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 19:04:59

Hope and enthusiasm? Boris gave that with the figure which would go to the NHS on his bus , many believed the lie

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 19:07:18

@niggly

Sod optimism, hope and enthusiasm. I was just interested in the truth rather than attempts to pull the wool over my eyes and appeals to my 'emotions' with empty slogans such as 'take back control'.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 19:08:26

Anyway, niggly, why are you trying once again to turn a thread about party alignement into a rant about Remainers?

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 19:09:15

Daphne, it was the constant blaming immigrants and refugees for all the ills that caused many times believed it, thus turn to UKIP. Fear

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 19:22:34

www.change.org/p/restore-truthful-politics-create-an-independent-office-to-monitor-political-campaigns?source_location=movement

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 19:23:41

Yes, I know. The referendum opened a Pandora's Box which has always contained racism/xenophobia. Historicaly, the trades unions have objected to immigration, such as when the London Tube job-hunted West Indian drivers. That's why Ukip is targetting Labour voters. They know that it's easy to sell the story about 'immigrants stealing our jobs' to the people most affected.

nigglynellie Thu 30-Jun-16 20:10:03

dd, why are you so rude? Just asking!

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 20:16:32

grin

Is the truth hurting?

granjura Thu 30-Jun-16 20:16:44

Rude? Where?

Passionate, yes- and I really can't blame her for that. Desperate times indeed.

M0nica Thu 30-Jun-16 20:18:36

While any party set up by Aaron Banks will have to be watched, the history of right wing parties in this country does not suggest it has much chance.

We could start with Oswald Moseley and his blackshirts, no idea what he called his party, then there was the Referendum Party set up by Sir James Goldsmith (father of Zac), OK we have now had a referendum and voted leave, but this party had right wing policies other than just the referendum and it didn't last long.

At the election before or after the Referendom Party there was another right wing party with a rich backer but that foundered as well.

Currently we have UKIP, but it only won one seat in last years election and is rapidly losing all its MEP's, not that that matters now.

All of them have a feverish couple of years and then sink without trace.

Extreme right wing parties come and go with the speed of England football managers.

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 20:21:19

My son's partner has told me that everyone she works with has been most apologetic to her, and assuring her they voted to stay.

Anya Thu 30-Jun-16 20:22:24

"*Is the truth hurting*" - yes just plain rude. You think that's 'passionate' do you GJ hmm

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 20:23:49

Would be nice if Ukip did simk without a trace. However, it's been round for a good few years and appears to be getting stronger despite having lost its reason for being here.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 20:26:31

Moseley founded the British Union of Fascists.

The danger with Banks is that he has big money and slick marketing. £11 million was spent on the Leave campaign, even though they were only permitted to spend £700,000. He claims he found a loophole to get round the rules. We'll see!

Ukip had 4 million votes at the last election and undoubtedly forced Cameron's hand on the referendum with (I still believe) disastrous results for the future of the UK.

Banks is more savvy than Farage and could very well make a breakthrough with clever market intelligence and marketing.

M0nica Thu 30-Jun-16 20:30:20

'restore truthful politics'. Is anybody old enough to remember when we had those? Has politics ever been truthful?

And anyway, What is truth? Whose truth are we talking about?

granjura Thu 30-Jun-16 20:48:57

Well we have a Trades Description Act and something like the Advertising Commission (can't remember exact name)- isn't it time to have the same for politics- eg, if politicians make promises in campaigns, they should be held to them if and when they win. Like '350 mio per day for the NHS' - or 'no more freedom of movement for EU workers', etc.

If a business advertised falsely like this- they would be fined heavily or even find themselves behind bars.

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 20:50:04

ASA, Advertising Standards Authority.