Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris is setting out his stall..can we trust him?

(44 Posts)
Nandalot Sun 26-Jun-16 22:37:05

Boris has started his bid for the premiership. He is talking about a points based system for immigration, money for the NHS and pursuance of one nation policies started by David Cameron. Is he just saying what people wwNt to hear. Do you think, if made Tory leader, if he becomes Prime Minister, he would stand by these?

granjura Mon 27-Jun-16 14:28:36

If people choose him after all this, then I despair - if you can despair even more than I do now sad

durhamjen Mon 27-Jun-16 14:34:43

NO to Boris, but I refuse to pay the fee to join to try and stop him. Some things are beyond the pale.

So they need two other people to have more votes than him, Tizliz.
Who do you think?

tanith Mon 27-Jun-16 15:11:42

No I too would despair if he became PM very sad

Londongirl Mon 27-Jun-16 15:30:11

No!!!

durhamjen Mon 27-Jun-16 16:04:00

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/27/brussels-rejects-boris-johnson-pipe-dream-over-single-market-access

Boris's first idea gone up the spout. Can't have single market without having free movement of people.

whitewave Mon 27-Jun-16 16:05:22

Well what an astounding surprise . Are you sure the EU isn't just scaremongering?

durhamjen Mon 27-Jun-16 16:59:36

www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/jun/27/what-boris-johnson-said-about-brexit-and-what-he-really-meant

varian Mon 27-Jun-16 17:00:50

This was pointed out during the campaign, but perhaps not forcibly enough.

How many times did you hear how the Germans wanted to sell us their cars and the French their cheese and wine?

What the leave campaign were good at was repeating lies, pipe-dreams and meaningless slogans so many times that a lot of people fell for it.

No connexion with reality at all.

durhamjen Mon 27-Jun-16 17:02:29

It has been said that if Theresa May is chosen to be the new PM, there will not need to be an election. She was in the government which has the mandate; Boris is not in government so will have to have his own mandate voted on.
A bit of a quandary there.

durhamjen Mon 27-Jun-16 17:53:49

www.change.org/p/boris-johnson-mp-boris-johnson-and-michael-gove-to-stand-down-as-mps

Because they misled the public, i.e., they lied to us.

tanith Mon 27-Jun-16 18:36:38

Boris the Buffoon has just stated that 'Markets are stabilising'. Considering the £ has just hit a 30yr low today and shares are falling fast, how could anyone consider this idiot as PM?

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 19:02:12

Personally I dont trust Boris. Boris works for Boris.

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 19:03:31

I dont want Teresa May either. She was remain, and apparently didnt do or say much either. Hardly leadership material.

Luckygirl Mon 27-Jun-16 19:09:48

All politicians lie or are economical with the truth - that is how they get elected. They set out their stall with all the things they hope to do, then find they cannot do them when push comes to shove. In the main they know they are suggesting things that cannot be attained.

Ginny42 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:13:03

I've just told them what I think of them on the change.org site. It states it will be delivered to Boris. Made me feel better anyway!

spyder08 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:39:16

GillT57...no not a joke at all...perfectly serious. We need one hell of a shake-up!!

dramatictessa Mon 27-Jun-16 19:42:47

luckygirl, they do sometimes carry out their promises, otherwise we wouldn't have had the referendum! What a pity DC didn't think to renege on that one.

granjura Mon 27-Jun-16 21:57:45

If Boris become PM after all the grief, Angst and pain he has caused- and Trump becomes President of the USA - I think I'll try and emigrate to the moon sad