Gransnet forums

News & politics

Farage

(354 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 04-Jul-16 10:10:44

Farage is standing down as leader of UKIP

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 15:43:01

This table ranks MEPs by their involvement. Farage is 747 out of 750. It has always been Ukip's policy not to become involved in anything which affects the UK's interests.

www.mepranking.eu/score.php

whitewave Mon 04-Jul-16 15:45:41

Hmm. I don't trust him no further than I could throw him.

Luckygirl Mon 04-Jul-16 15:52:16

I agree with much of what bags is saying. Cincern about the EU has been widespread in the UK for decades and has a broader base than immigration.

I also agree with granjura that he should resign as MEP because he is taking money for a job which he is not doing - that is theft.

Luckygirl Mon 04-Jul-16 15:55:01

By the way the UKIP manifesto has no racism in it - it would have been against the law and unpublishable if it had - but unfortunately that does not reflect the views of many members of the party, if their behaviour is evidence.

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 15:57:13

He's never done the job, so nothing has changed.

granjura Mon 04-Jul-16 16:37:35

Therefore, it’s understandable that Farage wants his “life back”. It’s a very easy life.

As an MEP, he receives €7957 a month. He is paid in Euros, which given the collapse of the pound (which he has helped to orchestrate with the Brexit vote), means he is one of the few people to have seen a salary rise post-Brexit. Presently Farage’s salary is worth £6665.19 a month compared to the £6246 earned by MPs.

Given Farage has been absent, or refused to vote, on the majority of debates at the European Parliament, it seems the decent thing would be for him to resign his position. Instead, he is proving to be the very essence of everything he claims to hate about Europe – a lazy, worthless bureaucrat, sponging money out of the institution he claims to despise.

granjura Mon 04-Jul-16 16:46:17

Can someone IT savvy put his face instead? Yes, puerile, but it would help- just a tiny weeny little bit

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/video-girl-being-hit-fish-10818020

Elegran Mon 04-Jul-16 17:28:33

Give us a kiss, Nige dahling!

lucycakeface Mon 04-Jul-16 17:30:51

Farage was the only person who was brave enough to say what most people thought but were to scared to say!

granjura Mon 04-Jul-16 17:31:32

LOL thanks- but I'd rather smack hime hard with that big fish (yes I know- puerile but ...)

GandTea Mon 04-Jul-16 17:32:03

What has the fish done to deserve that ?

Elegran Mon 04-Jul-16 17:34:14

The comment was from a fish - one that knew it was safe from being caught by a British trawler while Nige was around. Can anyone suggest a better caption before I let it loose on Facebook?

Elegran Mon 04-Jul-16 17:35:31

Couldn't do anything with a video, granjura Sorry.

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 17:43:03

@lucycake

He didn't say what I or the vast majority of people I know thought!! angry

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 17:45:58

"Missed you at the Committee on Fisheries meetings"

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 17:46:46

"Never thought you'd be so gutless, Nige!"

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 17:49:08

"One kipper to another..."

Elegran Mon 04-Jul-16 18:08:22

Thanks dd. Have used your first caption plus a bit more, and posted it on Facebook.

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 18:10:15

You're welcome! If you need any more puns just let minnow grin

Elegran Mon 04-Jul-16 18:13:41

So long as you don't carp on about the net value of your contribution.

Luckygirl Mon 04-Jul-16 18:22:37

In any other job, if you failed to turn up and do the job you would get the sack - how do they get away with this?

granjura Mon 04-Jul-16 18:30:06

for a bit of 'light' relief (sorry couldn't help it)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQRg7wH_FC0

Badenkate Mon 04-Jul-16 19:34:05

Another rat deserting the sinking ship angry

granjura Mon 04-Jul-16 20:29:13

There is a petition requestin that Farage stands down as MEP with immediate effect and gives salary and pension to the NHS- as the promised 35 mio were a lie. Signed.

JessM Mon 04-Jul-16 20:46:44

Bags if you can't read between the lines that a manifesto that, in essence, reads:
*keep the bloody foreigners out
is obviously in spirit, if not in its carefully chosen words, racist, then I do wonder...

It is true that many people had decided to vote Leave fairly early in the campaign, particularly men (this from talking to a lot of people over the course of the campaign). However Farage's evil stirring of xenophobia and racism, aided an abetted by certain sectors of the press, who viewed him as an absolute gift, played a big part in forming those opinions. Lets face it, without his stirring we would not have had a referendum and would not be in the gory mess we are now. (Not to mention the worse mess we will be for some years to come)
And as for the so-called "project fear" (a term coined, I think, by the silver tongued and tousle haired wordsmith BJ - is he a hero of yours?).... have you not noticed that the economic impact has already kicked in?
Or will you need to wait a few weeks to notice that nearly everything you buy has gone up in price (because the pound has fallen more sharply than it has done for decades and even UK produced goods will become more costly due to the increase in petrol and diesel prices).
George Osborne has been inflicting major pain on poor people for the last few years, partly in the cause of retaining out AAA rating. That's out the window now for the foreseeable future. And why does that matter? Well all major capital investments will now be on hold as they rely on the government being credit worthy enough to borrow money on the international market. We are now a dodgy credit risk. And while you might not care about major capital projects they do create much needed employment - sometimes in areas where this is badly needed.
This is the sort of thing that all those so called "scare-mongers" and "experts" were predicting and they were right.