Gransnet forums

News & politics

More United - is this the way forward in politics?

(104 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 24-Jul-16 11:09:41

Did anyone see the interview on Marr with Paddy Ashdown? According to him this is not a political party but a movement which will be funded by those who wish to back it and may be of any party or none. They will then fund people standing for parliament who adhere to their views.

I am not sure I would agree with all the views it would stand for (really have no idea at this point) but I do like the thought that politics would come more under the control of small money rather than big money.

Is this how we will see politics move forward? Movements such as this - which sees itself as centrist; Momentum on the left and, perhaps UKIP turning into such a movement on the right each supporting candidates, no matter what their party, who support the movements views?

Lazigirl Tue 02-Aug-16 13:50:52

Looks an attractive idea but don't think would work unless there is a change to a system of proportional representation. Historically "break away" movements have not succeeded.

nightowl Tue 02-Aug-16 13:50:55

I'm glad that was clear yggdrasil. I agree there are others with those values, and many more with whom they have struck a chord - particularly young people who have no experience of politicians with beliefs and principles, only personal ambition. Whatever happens now, the genie is out of the bottle and we have remembered there is a different way.

Gracesgran Wed 03-Aug-16 11:43:52

I couldn't agree more dd but who will bring a left of centre government to power, a Labour Party that is riven or a coalition of the left of centre parties? I think we have to wait a while to see.