Gransnet forums

News & politics

Traingate

(833 Posts)
thatbags Tue 23-Aug-16 20:31:01

The silliest thing about the Corbyn "Traingate" fiasco is that before the railways were privatised, I often had to sit on the floor toing and froing between Preston and Edinburgh. Sometimes there was no buffet car. And the toilets were often disgusting.

I guess Corbyn didn't travel by train much back then hmm

However, the trains I travelled on usually had more space for luggage than current Virgin trains.

Beammeupscottie Tue 23-Aug-16 22:17:42

Ah, but this is Jezzas "gate". He will always be remembered as the guy who pulled a publicity stunt against a privatised railway company to make a political point. What next, sitting outside A&E with a bandage round his head waiting for their busiest time to make an entrance?
I saw Harriet Harman commenting on it and making the point that his team would or should have bought tickets! Either way another day in Prattsville .

Ana Tue 23-Aug-16 22:19:04

That's 'honest politics' for you!

Anniebach Tue 23-Aug-16 22:20:33

Ana, you have complicated things now wink , sounds rather as if they were playing musical chairs

Pollengran Tue 23-Aug-16 22:24:30

BBC news reporting is the truth, and therefore your reason for giggling Anniebach? I always trust the BBC news.. giggling. I don't mean to offend.. Actually I do. Can you see how offensive it sounds?

Anniebach Tue 23-Aug-16 22:25:31

My grandson works in Cardiff but does at times have to go up/down/ over to the London office, a secretary always reserves a train seat for him

Seems grandsons firm has more efficient secretaries than they have in Westminster .

ffinnochio Tue 23-Aug-16 22:25:32

I've thoroughly enjoyed #traingate on Twitter this evening. smile

rosesarered Tue 23-Aug-16 22:26:30

Beammeupscottie That bit about Corbyn sitting in A&E with a bandage round his head ,certainly gave me the giggles!grin

durhamjen Tue 23-Aug-16 22:27:04

Timeline on Guardian news site, if anyone interested.
Or would you rather just make up your own stories?

Not you, Pollen.

Beammeupscottie Tue 23-Aug-16 22:27:59

I can't wait for the Sun's headline tomorrow. How about;

CORBYN CAUGHT BY VIRGIN

Ana Tue 23-Aug-16 22:28:07

What, no link?

durhamjen Tue 23-Aug-16 22:28:35

Just don't break your wrist, roses, because from now on you will be treated online.

Anniebach Tue 23-Aug-16 22:28:59

Good grief, pollengran, the only person who could claim to be offended is thatbags, it was her thread title which amused me , do back off and calm down

durhamjen Tue 23-Aug-16 22:29:11

www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2016/aug/23/virtual-fracture-clinics-enable-patients-to-receive-care-online

Ana Tue 23-Aug-16 22:29:14

No giggling at the back there...wink

rosesarered Tue 23-Aug-16 22:29:36

It's a PR stunt ( traingate) by team Corbyn I expect.

Pollengran Tue 23-Aug-16 22:29:48

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story" That is my point exactly Daphne. Maybe you are an SNP supporter who is now running for the hills.

Anniebach Tue 23-Aug-16 22:31:57

Giggling is not permitted on this thread, corbynites do not approve .

Beam , that is so naughty, and so funny grin

Pollengran Tue 23-Aug-16 22:33:22

I am crossing the house to you DJ, but you knew that wink.

Iam64 Tue 23-Aug-16 22:34:03

Beam, you're on a roll on this thread, so many gems but my favourite is 'either way, another day in pratsville'.
Seats should have been booked. I don't know anyone who on a planned work trip, would travel without booking seats. I can't imagine the leader of Her Maj's opposition is short of assistants to do that kind of thing on his behalf. It's either a publicity stunt that backfired or another example of chaos and inefficiency.

Anniebach Tue 23-Aug-16 22:36:27

I wish these plans for railways would be taken seriously , he not only wants to privatise rail companies, he wants to open up some closed railway tracks - my bungalow is built on what was once a railway track

petra Tue 23-Aug-16 22:36:40

Loved the A&E joke, brilliant. He's the joke that keeps on giving.

Pollengran Tue 23-Aug-16 22:41:22

VIPs may be catered for, but so many joe publics reserve a seat that is nowhere to be found. Jeremy Corbyn is highlighting that. All he is saying is that we need more trains.

Do we need Nationalisation of trains? Yes. Did he fabricate? That needs more CCTV for me to believe it.

Beammeupscottie Tue 23-Aug-16 22:41:51

Wishing a broken wrist on someone! Dearie me.
Just for the record, I had to visit Hospital for an x-ray and was in and out in 15 mins. The NHS seems much improved.

Anniebach Tue 23-Aug-16 22:43:30

He wasn't on a days shopping, he had thousands and thousands waiting to hear him speak,

Surely no momentum groupies on the train shock , may explain how some passengers left the train ninety minutes before it stopped

Anniebach Tue 23-Aug-16 22:44:50

But it wasn't all he was saying was it