Gransnet forums

News & politics

Feeling depressed

(95 Posts)
Badenkate Tue 27-Sep-16 16:14:26

On Today this morning they were doing a vox pop asking people outside a shopping centre if the Labour Conference had an effect on how they would vote. 'Oh, I'm not interested in politics' said this woman, with a girlish giggle. 'I vote how my husband tells me.'
Brave women struggled and suffered for her to have a vote - if she doesn't know or doesn't care, don't vote, but at least don't just do what your husband/father tells you. No wonder we're in the state we're in sad

Smileless2012 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:05:48

Anagrin. The sweeping and at times insulting generalisations made on some of these threads are quiteshock. I suggest that someone takes the trouble to do a large and in depth poll of all Sun, Daily Mail, Express etc readers to assess their intelligence (or lack of it) before writing them all off as idiots.

An occasional Saturday Mail reader I am; an idiot I am most certainly not.

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 20:09:04

But would they be able to answer the questions? grin

PS. I buy the Saturday Mail for my mother and sometimes help her with the crossword. I don't think she even reads the 'news' pages.

The Mail on Sunday has different editors from the weekly newspaper and has some decent journalists. There you go! Proof that I'm a Mail reader too!

Ana Tue 27-Sep-16 20:09:17

I wasn't suggesting that anyone on here was.

I'm afraid I found varian's condemnation of 'idiotic voters' who only read etc. etc. terribly patronising. I do know that some GN members have admitted to reading the DM - shock horror!

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 20:10:39

Seriously! The Sun and Express are beyond the pale as so-called newspapers. Yes, I read them too.

Ana Tue 27-Sep-16 20:11:09

x posts - don't know why my typing's so slow today!

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 20:12:25

Yup! I've just admitted it. I must admit I read it - at least the online version - as an alternative to having a punchbag. grin I don't really have an obsession with 'toned bodies' or the Kardashian family.

Ana Tue 27-Sep-16 20:12:52

What about the Daily Mirror? No one's mentioned that yet!

Smileless2012 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:15:58

The Daily Mirror AnashockI'll have to have awineto get over that one. Fancy mentioning the Daily Mirrorgrin.

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 21:17:33

I read that too, Ana.

Ana Tue 27-Sep-16 21:25:56

Of course you do, daphne. I have to admit that's the one newspaper I don't think I've ever even looked at, never mind read, even online.

Just googled, and it claims to be 'the intelligent tabloid'...

Perhaps I might give it a go tomorrow.

Alima Tue 27-Sep-16 21:26:02

Apparently the Mirror has very good racing pages. Into the horses daphne?

merlotgran Tue 27-Sep-16 21:28:51

How many idiotic voters have their minds made up by The Sun, Daily Mail, Express etc without even realising it?

You are saying that a newspaper makes the ignorant more ignorant but being influenced by the written word, whether you agree with it or not, is preferable to having your mind made up by your husband because you're too ignorant or lazy to think for yourself.

NotTooOld Tue 27-Sep-16 21:50:25

Just before the Brexit referendum I overheard two young women discussing which way they would vote. One said 'I'll vote the same way as my parents'. 'What's that then?' asked the other. 'Oh,' said the first one 'It'll be Labour'. grin

durhamjen Tue 27-Sep-16 21:59:15

Anyone know what was in the Sun today?
I was watching some of the Labour conference and a message came out that all copies of the Sun had been removed.

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 22:12:15

Nah! Horses terrify me.

No idea what was in the paper copy of the Sun, but there doesn't seem to be anything about the Labour conference in the online version.

There's something about the England (football) boss, Brad Pitt, Zoe Ball, a girl who had sex with eight lads on holiday, a student auctioning her virginity online and a ranting Muslim hate preacher, who accuses the Queen of being a terrorist.

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 22:16:40

Ana, I hope I didn't detect a hint of sarcasm or disbelief. I rarely buy any print copies of newspapers, but read a number of papers, news sites, blogs, etc online. Why wouldn't I?

varian Tue 27-Sep-16 22:22:08

You have to have acertain level of intelligence to read the Guardian, and I would expect most readers to be well aware of its political agenda. I recently heard Daily Mail reader say her paper wasn't biassed which I did find quite depressing.

merlotgran Tue 27-Sep-16 22:29:26

Why is it depressing? It's her view against yours? So she's not as intelligent as a Guardian reader?

It takes all sorts.

durhamjen Tue 27-Sep-16 22:37:56

She meant it wasn't biased against her, varian.

Badenkate Tue 27-Sep-16 22:39:49

It isn't important what your level of intelligence is, or which newspaper you read as long as you realise that each one has its own agenda. What is depressing is if the people who read them don't understand that what they read is biased in one way or another.

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 22:40:18

As a genuine sufferer from depression, it doesn't make me depressed. I would hope that everybody is aware of bias in everything they read or are told, but apparently not. I would like different sources to be analysed at school in English lessons rather than some of the daft stuff which is imposed.

Christinefrance Wed 28-Sep-16 08:46:13

It's a shame this sort of snobbery persists about which newspaper is the most widely read by the intelligentsia.Most people now have different ways of gathering information and then making up their minds about issues of the day. I agree it's hard to hear women abdicating their responsibility in matters political but think men are not blameless either. I heard two women asking ' what vote ' the day after the EU referendum.

Alima Wed 28-Sep-16 08:49:37

Isn't there a huge proportion of the population who don't read newspapers or watch current affairs programmes? What is their ignorance blamed on, too much Towie?

Wobblybits Wed 28-Sep-16 09:08:35

I am one of those that don't read newspapers -- I just don't believe anything they publish, stopped having a daily paper many years ago.

I watch the BBC news headlines, and the local news, if there is a news item that is important or of particular interest, I may follow it further online. I rarely watch political programs, again I don't believe politicians father than I can throw them.

No I don't watch TOWIE instead.

oldgoose Wed 28-Sep-16 09:57:57

My Mother always voted the way my Father did because she said "he knows about these things and I don't."