Gransnet forums

News & politics

Feeling depressed

(94 Posts)
Badenkate Tue 27-Sep-16 16:14:26

On Today this morning they were doing a vox pop asking people outside a shopping centre if the Labour Conference had an effect on how they would vote. 'Oh, I'm not interested in politics' said this woman, with a girlish giggle. 'I vote how my husband tells me.'
Brave women struggled and suffered for her to have a vote - if she doesn't know or doesn't care, don't vote, but at least don't just do what your husband/father tells you. No wonder we're in the state we're in sad

Ana Tue 27-Sep-16 16:21:23

That's really shocking, Badenkate! Hard to believe there are women like that out there in this day and age...hmm

tanith Tue 27-Sep-16 16:25:58

shock airhead comes to mind.

merlotgran Tue 27-Sep-16 16:27:28

Oh I don't know.....DH votes how I tell him! grin

#onlyjoking

grannylyn65 Tue 27-Sep-16 16:28:44

Has there been a vote ??grin

Alima Tue 27-Sep-16 16:40:14

I agree with tanith. Nothing to get depressed about, there will always be people like that. You never know, if they had all voted we could have ended up with the BNP.

J52 Tue 27-Sep-16 16:48:32

I heard the same thing - words fail me. Although at the time several unprintable ones came to mind!

Badenkate Tue 27-Sep-16 16:51:28

Actually Alima I feel they may already all have voted fairly recently.

Alima Tue 27-Sep-16 16:53:48

Ouch!

Luckygirl Tue 27-Sep-16 16:56:20

Sigh.

millymouge Tue 27-Sep-16 16:56:52

Personally I think that is rather sad. shock I am not strong politically but I take an interest about what is going on and definitely make up my own mind when voting. I can't believe that there are many women these days are like that, or are there.

FarNorth Tue 27-Sep-16 17:11:39

I have heard young women say they are not interested, have no opinion one way or the other, so they don't vote.
I guess if they meet a masterful man, tho, who appears to know what's what, they may decide to make use of their vote in the way he prefers.

People do have all sorts of strange reasons for their voting choices, often based on a complete misunderstanding of the situation. That is a bit of a depressing thought.

nanaK54 Tue 27-Sep-16 17:16:18

Deep sigh

thatbags Tue 27-Sep-16 17:17:12

We are watching House these days. Greg House, played by Hugh Grant (who apparently has a very good American accent for the series) would probably say: "Moron" about a person like the woman in the OP.

Ana Tue 27-Sep-16 17:18:38

It's also depressing that someone would actually admit in public to voting how someone else tells her to.

Badenkate Tue 27-Sep-16 17:24:31

The problem is Ana, that it's not seen as a negative but something to be amused by. It'seems very similar in some ways to someone happily admitting that they aren't numerate and who would yet be embarrassed to admit they can't read.

Coolgran65 Tue 27-Sep-16 17:33:01

I always work as a Poll Clerk on Election Polling Day.

Voters will never ever cease to amaze.

As in.....
who should I vote for??
I haven't a clue what I'm doing !!
I'll just close my eyes and see where it lands !!

It is worrisome when a result is close, knowing that some of these voters could have made the difference.

gillybob Tue 27-Sep-16 18:44:34

My mum always voted the way my dad did and was quite proud of the fact that his opinion was her opinion. It always drove me mad as she NEVER disagreed with him over anything. He wasn't some kind of control freak bully either, she just liked it that way.

She once shouted across a polling station to ask my dad where she should put her cross shock

Welshwife Tue 27-Sep-16 19:17:26

Is there another series of'House' - I thought it was Hugh Laurie played House.

varian Tue 27-Sep-16 19:44:21

At least this stupid woman realises she is being told how to vote by her husband. How many idiotic voters have their minds made up by The Sun, Daily Mail, Express etc without even realising it?

Ana Tue 27-Sep-16 19:52:56

Hmm...of course, those who have only ever read The Guardian are immune from any such criticism, I suppose varian?

varian Tue 27-Sep-16 20:00:51

I could'nt say Ana. I 'm not someone who only reads the Guardian

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 20:01:59

Speaking of the 'Guardian', there was an article a couple of days ago, which some will probably find contentious. Warning - it's a long read:

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/sep/27/why-class-wont-go-away

I was reminded of the article, as a result of newspaper readership being mentioned as a class marker.

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 20:02:36

I'm not somebody who 'only ever' reads the Guardian either.

daphnedill Tue 27-Sep-16 20:05:44

I don't think I ever voted the same way as my ex-husband either. I certainly haven't voted the same way as my parents, although my children have voted the same way as I have. Admittedly, they've only just become eligible to vote. My daughter voted Labour in the GE and both voted Remain in the referendum. Time will tell if they dare to rebel!!