Gransnet forums

News & politics

Feeling depressed

(95 Posts)
Badenkate Tue 27-Sep-16 16:14:26

On Today this morning they were doing a vox pop asking people outside a shopping centre if the Labour Conference had an effect on how they would vote. 'Oh, I'm not interested in politics' said this woman, with a girlish giggle. 'I vote how my husband tells me.'
Brave women struggled and suffered for her to have a vote - if she doesn't know or doesn't care, don't vote, but at least don't just do what your husband/father tells you. No wonder we're in the state we're in sad

Gaggi3 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:24:26

Married for 40 years to my father, my mother always voted Tory as he did. Married to my lovely stepfather for twenty-two years she voted Labour as he did. I don't think she had a clue about any of the policies or philosophies of either of them

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 19:26:25

In what way are they hypocrical? A tad sanctimonious, but hardly hypocritical.

There's nothing wrong with being a landlord, as long as you don't rip off your tenants. I'm a private tenant and my landlord is a sweetie. Nor is there anything wrong with wanting the best education for your own children while campaigning to improve education for all children.

Labour MPs and supporters don't have to behave like a monk and wear a hair shirt.

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 19:29:54

@JessM

How about claiming that cutting benefits for the working poor and disabled 'supports' them to find more hours/better paid work, as Iain Duncan Smith and Damian Green have claimed? If that's not hypocritical, I'd love to know what is.

Jalima Thu 29-Sep-16 19:42:54

djen was the Labour party conference held in Liverpool?
If so, that would be why any copies of the Sun would have been removed, not for anything in it this week but for their disgusting coverage if the Hillsborough disaster.

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 20:02:51

Ah! Well spotted, Jalima!

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 20:06:36

You're not a closet Mirror reader, are you? wink

The Mirror has the whole story....

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-removes-copies-sun-liverpool-8922894

You were right.

Jalima Thu 29-Sep-16 20:26:47

No, I just knew that anyway, I think I posted it on another thread a few weeks ago, I think about Hillsborough.

Jalima Thu 29-Sep-16 20:28:55

Andy Burnham probably put them on a bonfire.
I will look at your link and see if I was right

Jalima Thu 29-Sep-16 20:33:36

Ah, the Mayor and Maria Eagle

Ginny42 Thu 29-Sep-16 21:31:57

Don't you think we marry/cohabit with people who hold the same political views as ours? I would never have had a relationship with someone whose political stance was different from mine, so my ex and I were always going to vote the same way. It could be that many women vote the same as their husband because they agree with him.

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 21:33:31

What's that supposed to mean, Jalima?

Jalima Thu 29-Sep-16 21:41:59

What's that supposed to mean jamila ? confused
What was in your link!

I thought it may have been Andy Burnham who made them remove the Sun but when I looked at your link ddil I realised it was the Mayor of Liverpool and Maria Eagle (although no doubt other Liverpool MPs et al were equally incensed).

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 22:27:27

Joe Anderson, the Mayor of Liverpool, has more power in Liverpool than Andy Burnham. Maria Eagle is a Liverpool MP.

Penstemmon Thu 29-Sep-16 22:28:32

My DH and I would vote for the same party in general elections. I am a paid up member of a political party, he is not. I am an active political foot soldier (leafleting/ running stalls/fund raising etc) and initiate going on any rallies etc. (nb this is NOT virtue signalling grin) but he is more informed on the minutiae of policies /politicians.

I could not have spent a lifetime with a person who held different political views to me. We do not agree 100% but broadly face in the same direction!
We choose not buy any papers or subscribe to TV companies that are run and owned by particular people/companies whose political attitudes we oppose. However I have read the free papers on trains and stations and free on-line papers too. must go to bed as am leafleting commuters at the station at 6:30 in the morning to inform them about a political debate in town next week!

durhamjen Thu 29-Sep-16 22:40:43

Thanks, jalima, for reminding me. Should have realised.

Lizzypopbottle, you are a bit behind the times.
Michael Meacher died last year.
Tony Benn fought to give up his title so he could be an MP.
In fact he came from a line of liberal MPs. Both his grandfathers were liberal MPs, and his father was a liberal before he crossed the floor to join labour.

Jalima Thu 29-Sep-16 22:42:00

Andy Burnham and Maria Eagle worked together to bring justice for the Hillsborough fans and families after years of inaction

Nothing to do with who has more power, more wondering who had had the offending papers removed, I had a guess then looked at your link.

confused at your posts really, sorry

Jalima Thu 29-Sep-16 22:44:20

That was to ddil btw

Blinko Thu 06-Oct-16 08:32:48

I think its laziness not necessarily lacking intelligence to vote the way someone else does because you trust their judgment. Some people get out of the habit of thinking for themselves in a relationship.

nigglynellie Thu 06-Oct-16 09:58:19

Who knows for certain how anyone votes once they get into the polling booth?! No doubt lots of people, wives in particular, profess to vote a particular way, (anything for peace!) and in reality do the complete opposite.