Gransnet forums

News & politics

No appeal for Orgreave

(37 Posts)
trisher Tue 01-Nov-16 10:37:21

I know it was a long time ago and I know nobody died during the events, but for many, lives were drastically changed by what happened in Orgreave and I think they should at least know who was really responsible for this. I don't think it is possible to deal with the people responsible but I think we should know what happened and put safeguards in place so such things can never happen again

trisher Fri 04-Nov-16 09:51:22

I don't think it's the mining communities that they are worried about, but a lot of other people would be shocked by the things that came to light. People away from those affected think it was just a clash between the miners and the police, and the police were keeping law and order, revealing the true nature of the operation would surprise many.

Anniebach Fri 04-Nov-16 10:14:50

I doubt people would be shocked, those who suffered in that time and the communities still suffering will not be shocked. Maggie devotees will not believe anything that condemn her part in it, the Tory press would splash how the police lied but no more than that. No politicians involved are now in parliament. The most to expect is acknowledgement the miners were not treated fairly

vampirequeen Fri 04-Nov-16 10:49:03

Just because it was a long time ago and those involved won't be punished doesn't mean that it shouldn't be looked into. Otherwise it means that any government can get away with anything as long as they can either keep it quiet long enough or simply refuse an inquiry.

We need to shine a light on the scummy dark activities of the UK government then and now.

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 12:31:32

An eye-witness account from someone who wasn't involved.

skwawkbox.org/2016/11/03/exclusive-explosive-new-eye-witness-testimony-shows-orgreave-not-about-rogue-police/

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 12:32:42

skwawkbox.org/2016/11/05/calling-all-orgreave-soldierspolice/

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 12:47:34

No surprise, I spoke to miners who were there , Stella Rimington earned her appointment as head of MI5 by her part in it

durhamjen Sun 06-Nov-16 14:30:49

skwawkbox.org/2016/11/06/police-caught-red-handed-making-weapons-found-at-miners-demo/

Not Orgreave, but at another picket in Kent.

Eloethan Tue 08-Nov-16 23:35:51

I would have been a bit sceptical about that claim durhamjen if it had been anonymous but the man who made it has given his name and was only a teenager at the time so I can't imagine why he would have a reason to lie. As more and more of these sorts of allegations come to light, it seems quite wrong that an inquiry should be denied.

grabba Wed 09-Nov-16 10:44:19

I remember there being talk of police officers removing/ covering up their badge numbers

trisher Wed 09-Nov-16 11:24:57

Thanks durhamjen. As has been said there is no reason for the man to lie, he was too young to do anything at the time and now has no axe to grind. All of this needs investigation.

vampirequeen Wed 09-Nov-16 19:45:19

They won't investigate because it's the tip of the iceberg. Who knows what else they're hiding?